10+ Year Old Account

Question Recount vs Skada

Hello friends i keep having this debate with some guildies about which DPS meter is more accurate?
    I know Skada is more lightweight which makes me assume recount is better does anyone know why they both show differences?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Recount have more analyzing tools, that's why it's heavier. DPS differences are almost non noticeable unless some folk takes a pause or runs to fucktown mid fight, then some meters might get is as out of fight and pause the DPS meter for him

(Effective) Skada calculation is (Total Damage / Time in Combat) = DPS.
    (Active) Recount calculation is (Total Damage / Time doing Damage) = DPS.

Skada over a 5 minute periods will be more accurate with missile/projectile spells. Recount over 5 minutes is more accurate with instant/melee/DoTs.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Which is more accurate? Generally speaking, neither. They have the same raw data, which comes from the combat log events, so they have the same limitations about range, etc, to play with.

Which has more bugs around, eg, absorbs, etc, when odd things (eg: monk damage reductions and shuffle) come up? Not really either; both update pretty fast to respond to that. In general, I couldn't say either one "won" or "lost" on that front.

They do show different numbers, in the way that Shadow Fox says, but they should both be as "accurate" as far as that goes. (I'm not sure what Fox was trying to say with the different "accuracy" parts, but really, given the same inputs they will have the same data and results.)

Recount generally gives a more "flattering" number, since it will not reduce DPS if you have a period of running about like a headless chicken doing stuff other than hitting the boss, but it isn't wrong, just accounting differently. That said, WarcraftLogs and World of Logs both used "effective" DPS measures, which is what Skada showed, and not what Recount shows. So if you care about, eg, your ranking on those sites, or matching your logs uploaded there, you want Skada.

Also, Details! -- the other other white meat of DPS meters -- lets you select either mode. It, also, is about as accurate as the other two, because again, it works from exactly the same data.

People need to get over this "accuracy" idea.
    As stated neither is going to be more or less accurate overall than the other.
    There are just different ways of defining DPS, of which both are correct.
    Comparing one to another on those numbers is like apples to oranges.

There is no right or wrong, only that which suits your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    People need to get over this "accuracy" idea.
    As stated neither is going to be more or less accurate overall than the other.
    There are just different ways of defining DPS, of which both are correct.
    Comparing one to another on those numbers is like apples to oranges.

There is no right or wrong, only that which suits your needs.
    This ^^, whatever everyone else in your team uses is the best. Personally I moved from Recount to Skada a few years ago now you can have multi windows and its great.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want perfect accuracy just live log with warcraftlogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Personally I moved from Recount to Skada a few years ago now you can have multi windows and its great.
    Ya I really like the multi windows and the other customization stuff skada has.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2015-03-13 at 12:43 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    If you want perfect accuracy just live log with warcraftlogs.
    Nope.
    That is still reliant upon using one of those stated measures of DPS.
    It is only as accurate as the information that goes into it.

To make the difference between the two a bit clearer.
    Skada will show the damage you do over the course of the combat, and so will drop if you die.
    Recount will show the damage you do over the course of your activity, so it would show the marvellous dps you did for the time before you died, and remain at that figure until you actually are active again.

Recount will give you more "favourable" (bigger) numbers on encounters with a lack of activity, or an early death.
    Skada is a more representative measure over the whole encounter.

If you want to compare one person to another, use just ONE meter or an external log analysis.
    And do so with full understanding of the difference in the measures.
    Do not compare the numbers from one meter to another.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-03-13 at 12:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.