What can i do to improve my dps? 680 ele

What can i do to my rotation to improve it on single targets? Shamans just got buffed and i still dont pull crazy numbers like i should.

warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/4990621/latest
    Last edited by Cadle; 2015-03-16 at 03:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadle View Post
    What can i do to my rotation to improve it on single targets? Shamans just got buffed and i still dont pull crazy numbers like i should.

warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/4990621/
    Your link isn't working, Cadle! At least, not for me. In any case, what kind of numbers are you pulling on a fight-per-fight basis? What talent setup are you using for single-targets? If you can find a way to record yourself raiding, it would be much easier to help you improve your playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskeh View Post
    Your link isn't working, Cadle! At least, not for me. In any case, what kind of numbers are you pulling on a fight-per-fight basis? What talent setup are you using for single-targets? If you can find a way to record yourself raiding, it would be much easier to help you improve your playstyle.
    Link should be fixed now. The logs arent very recent i dont think but its a general idea. i pull from 25-30k most fights. Single target fights i use EF and im in a toss up weather or not to use UF or EB. Also should i be using EM or EotE? All help is greatly appreciated!

Rather than trying to cram all the talent talk into one post, take a look at this post. There's a bunch of info on here, and your best bet is to go a few pages deep and read the topics with more than a single page. Obviously only read the Ele ones.

Deleted
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...spec=Elemental

Look at top logs, compare their talents and damage repartition to yours.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadle View Post

warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/4990621/latest
    Your numbers are extremely low for a 680 ilvl.

I've been finding that EoE outshines Elemental Mastery on fights with more than 2 targets, so take that into consideration.
    I also use Unleashed Fury, I don't prefer anything else.
    Also, use Elemental Fusion for increased shock damage. These 3 talents work wonders in unison.

Storm Ele is a waste, and Earth Elemental is a waste of a gcd, the damage output doesn't even make it worth it.

Always Unleash Elements before a pull, FS, Lava Burst (x2 if you have EoE), Lightning Bolt as a filler, earth shock at 12-20 (15-20 if you do not have *4 piece).

Priorities run like this. Unleash Ele>FS>LaBu>Earth Shock(*12/15-20)>Lightning Bolt.

Try to move the least amount possible. Be glyphed for the reduced CD w/ spiritwalkers grace. Glyph Chain Lightning (only on fights that you know will have more than 3 targets).

Quote Originally Posted by Zxzas View Post
    Your numbers are extremely low for a 680 ilvl.

I've been finding that EoE outshines Elemental Mastery on fights with more than 2 targets, so take that into consideration.
    I also use Unleashed Fury, I don't prefer anything else.
    Also, use Elemental Fusion for increased shock damage. These 3 talents work wonders in unison.

Storm Ele is a waste, and Earth Elemental is a waste of a gcd, the damage output doesn't even make it worth it.

Always Unleash Elements before a pull, FS, Lava Burst (x2 if you have EoE), Lightning Bolt as a filler, earth shock at 12-20 (15-20 if you do not have *4 piece).

Priorities run like this. Unleash Ele>FS>LaBu>Earth Shock(*12/15-20)>Lightning Bolt.

Try to move the least amount possible. Be glyphed for the reduced CD w/ spiritwalkers grace. Glyph Chain Lightning (only on fights that you know will have more than 3 targets).
    Storm Elemental is actually pretty good now and should usually be used over EF.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marty096 View Post
    Storm Elemental is actually pretty good now and should usually be used over EF.
    Feels extremely weak, but that's just me. Maybe I just prefer passive abilities.

Well since you don't have the 4 set you should be going SET over EF. And on single target fights go EM vs EoE. If hero is on pull use Fire ele totem 4 secs before pull, then unleash elements, then pop your pre pot then do FS, LB, pop ele mastery+Ascendance then LB LB LB etc. Make sure you keep unleash elements up as much as possible and never let FS fall off. Use Windwalk or whatever it's called during EM+Ascendance so you can keep spamming LB. And as soon as Fire ele totem is done, recast fire totem and put out your SET

Quote Originally Posted by Haev View Post
    Well since you don't have the 4 set you should be going SET over EF. And on single target fights go EM vs EoE. If hero is on pull use Fire ele totem 4 secs before pull, then unleash elements, then pop your pre pot then do FS, LB, pop ele mastery+Ascendance then LB LB LB etc. Make sure you keep unleash elements up as much as possible and never let FS fall off. Use Windwalk or whatever it's called during EM+Ascendance so you can keep spamming LB. And as soon as Fire ele totem is done, recast fire totem and put out your SET
    Every single target sim done in 6.1 is showing EoE > EM. Most sims are showing SET > EF in all cases as well. That being said, some top logs are doing different things, so nothing is 100%, but top logs can't be relied upon to base our choices on. They choose the things that work with their raid comps and their own understanding of the class/fight times/etc. These small changes shouldn't be what we base most of our decisions on. I go with sims unless something comes up in a fight that I recognize and adapt to it.

EF isnt a passive ability btw.

People need to remember EM is going to sim higher for people with certain gear. If you want to know what is best for you, you have to sim your gear.

For me at 689, I am Echo, EF, SET for single target fights.

Some fights you have to choose talents based on the needs though. For instance, on Mythic Kromog, I take PE and SET for more burst power on the pillars. Even though overall I will do less damage, I will do more damage to pillars, which is what is most important.
    Last edited by ZerowGG; 2015-03-16 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EquilibriumCaster View Post
    EF isnt a passive ability btw.

People need to remember EM is going to sim higher for people with certain gear. If you want to know what is best for you, you have to sim your gear.

For me at 689, I am Echo, EF, SET for single target fights.

Some fights you have to choose talents based on the needs though. For instance, on Mythic Kromog, I take PE and SET for more burst power on the pillars. Even though overall I will do less damage, I will do more damage to pillars, which is what is most important.
    So you're talking about UF, the level 90 talent, not EF the 100 talent...

Hmm well on a fight such as gruul which only lasts 4 mins my sims is saying EM > EoE and SET > EF, normally I go with EF because I personally see higher results but maybe I over looked some things. I will test it out again, with my current ilvl at 677 with 4 set, not really any good proc trinks besides crit. I'm able to pull 36.5k on gruul with EM,UF,EF I'll test out SET tomorrow though, sims is saying I should be doing 37.7k on good skill setting for 4.1min fight

Deleted
    on a 4 minutes patchwerk fight EM > EoE & SET > EF, yes.

That being said, people need to obsess less about talent choices, and more about proper gameplay, I got rank 2 on mythic gruul without using UF and we were only 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Microchaton View Post
    on a 4 minutes patchwerk fight EM > EoE & SET > EF, yes.

That being said, people need to obsess less about talent choices, and more about proper gameplay, I got rank 2 on mythic gruul without using UF and we were only 19.
    Do you happen to have any vids of your play? I'm always looking for high level ele vids, but they're few and far between.

Deleted
    Not exactly, I play on a crappy laptop on a mediocre internet that probably can't handle streaming. Our logs are public and warcraftlogs has pretty much anything you need except my UI. My UI is nothing special either, modified binkenstein weakauras with additional encounter weakauras and ring/trinket weakauras, with bars and trigger sounds, with various cooldown icons under my char (SWG, liquid magma, ascendance, shamanistic rage, astral shift etc). The thing I notice most elementals are awful at is moving and positionning themselves correctly to maximize time spent casting and minimize overall movement, and that's mostly about experience and general awareness you won't learn that from a replay.

A couple of our mages stream our mythic farm, twitch.tv/dutchmagoz usually (who happens to be one of the best mages in the world) that's about it.

In 681, Echo sims higher in all instances than EM for me even in <4 minute fights.

Deleted
    It depends on your stats weights of course. Sims aren't the word of god however, PARTICULARLY when elemental talent combinations sim very close to each other most of the time for ST. For example, I don't think a sim takes into account shit like using SWG so you're guaranteed to waste 0 cast time on EM, since you generally will have to waste cast time on most encounters, making EM more valuable than it's theoretical patchwerk value. Note that it isn't that simple either, since Echo also helps minimizing loss of dps due to movement since you want to use up your lava bursts as much as possible, and losing LB cast time isn't as big of a deal as loving LvB cast time. EM value also varies a lot depending on fight length, it's obviously pretty glorious for a fight lasting around 2:20 or 3:20, and generally loses value on fights >3:20 since you get the most use of it combined with potion and ascendance, and having to delay EM for ascendance makes you lose a lot of potential uptime, especially on longer fights. It's also easier to keep your cooldowns to use on trinket proc when you know a fight is only gonna last X and there's no particular time where you want higher burst (Gruul being the example).

All in all, sim for YOUR character, YOUR raid kill times and practice so you're comfortable with different talent combinations and more importantly knowing how to BEST utilize those talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Microchaton View Post
    Not exactly, I play on a crappy laptop on a mediocre internet that probably can't handle streaming. Our logs are public and warcraftlogs has pretty much anything you need except my UI. My UI is nothing special either, modified binkenstein weakauras with additional encounter weakauras and ring/trinket weakauras, with bars and trigger sounds, with various cooldown icons under my char (SWG, liquid magma, ascendance, shamanistic rage, astral shift etc). The thing I notice most elementals are awful at is moving and positionning themselves correctly to maximize time spent casting and minimize overall movement, and that's mostly about experience and general awareness you won't learn that from a replay.

A couple of our mages stream our mythic farm, twitch.tv/dutchmagoz usually (who happens to be one of the best mages in the world) that's about it.
    Nah, the moving and positioning are exactly the kind of things you can pick up easily from a replay. Rotations and understanding your own abilities are things you have to learn from playing, but seeing how someone else moves or positions differently from your own play is the best part of videos. The rest of it is virtually always the same across the top players.