Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I live in China but am from Australia,
    I import doritos from Taiwan, my girlfriend, who is chinese, eats them like nothing else, loves them! Which annoys me because they're like $4 a packet but hey that's not the point.
    Most places here don't eat dog, it's mainly poor or rural areas, if you go to say Guizhou you will see many dog restaurants dotting the sides of the road, Chinese love their dogs, they dress them up & many own big dogs, I'd never seen so many Huskies or Samoyeds as I have in China, arguably very cruel to keep them caged inside apartment buildings, but regardless, I think the eating dogs stereotype is quickly fading.

To this day I have no idea how anyone can like Doritos really...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I find them disgusting.
    SHHHH!!! You are on a gaming website

quick wear this!

*throws a Mt Dew shirt onto Winter Blossom*

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL, I laughed pretty good at this. Thanks, snuggle bear.
    Dont mention it honeybunchy. Also *throws doritos hat onto winter blossom's head*

Now we fit in!

Ick, Mountain Dew is super disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    To this day I have no idea how anyone can like Doritos really...
    It's munchies food, everything that's easy and doesn't take time to prepare will be consumed to feed your craving.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickHunter40245 View Post
    Ick, Mountain Dew is super disgusting.
    Check back next week when the girls will try. Mountain dew, root beer, Dr. Pepper and Ginger Ale for the first time!

And in the meantime checkout our first vid!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_AQmpwRBSQ
    Last edited by fleamarket; 2015-03-22 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fleamarket
    Check back next week when the girls will try. Mountain dew, root beer, Dr. Pepper and Ginger Ale for the first time!
    Good Lord, man! Where the hell are you? A village of 5,000 in Gansu?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Doritos are god damn awful.
    How dare you, sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Mustard pretzels is where it's at.
    Oh... now I need to make a stop on the way home from work. :drool:

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I won't say the city name, but I'm actually in a city of about 11 million people. I know American soft drinks are popular in Beijing/Shanghai, or other westernized southern cities, but it is extremely hard to find this stuff in northern China. And honestly, the average Chinese has never tried those soft drinks before. Thinking otherwise is simply plain ignorant.

(And by mountain dew I mean real American mountain dew) Not that non-carbonated Chinese brand you find everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geez, where did all these anti-Dorito people come from? Doritos are one of my favorite chips and everyone I know eats them. Also how can anyone say that they'd rather eat a cat or a dog over Doritos? I guarantee if you eat a cat or a dog you will want the Doritos back. To me that just sounds like the biggest bullshit I ever heard. Some of these people here saying this must have some pet dog or cat or at least has a family member that has one. If you do, look at the dog/cat and tell me you'd rather eat it over a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-03-24 at 11:12 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    And honestly, the average Chinese has never tried those soft drinks before. Thinking otherwise is simply plain ignorant.
    And are you posting videos of "average Chinese"? Probably not.

These days, there are a heck of a lot of Chinese who have or will studied abroad and/or worked abroad. They come back, they buy stuff, and that's why we've seen more and more foreign fare show up at department stores and supermarkets. Sure, in the middle of the last decade it was more of a novelty, but if the relatively young crowd here on MMOC liked the look of one of "the girls" I'd guess them to be from the younger set and that crew tend to be pretty adventurous about trying new things. Will they have tried every single thing you can throw at them? No, but after the cats and dogs crack in the title, how about not making even Northern China look like you've discovered the Cargo Cult?

I suppose you count Jiangsu as being Westernized and southern, but when I worked in Wuxi it was a city of four million and had at least a Metro (the German department store) that carried a wide range of foreign products. Metro tends to be kinda large, they weren't being kept open by the expats. At eleven million, you are in one of the Tier 2 cities, I'd guess Tianjin based on population and being in the north. That's certainly large enough to have Watson's there, and I've yet to find a Watson's that didn't have a range of those drinks, particularly since Watson's produces store brand ginger ale and sarsaparilla. If you're in Tianjin, you probably have 7-11s too. Non-carbonated Mountain Dew? What the heck? I'm talking the screaming green plastic bottles of the stuff that are often found in places like Watson's and it is definitely carbonated.

You're farming hits for your Youtube, that's fine. Playing up the difference (especially the eating cats and dogs crack) just feeds certain stereotypes though. Then, Chinese students go overseas and get treated like they just walked in from a rural village and wonder what the hell their foreign classmates are thinking. I have a former student in Australia right now, and boy does that frustrate her. I have one of my gan nv'er getting ready to study in Europe next academic term. I have another former student about to study in Switzerland. So, I'd prefer to balance your video by pointing out that not all Chinese are going to find things like Doritos a surprise. That way, I'm less likely to get an earful.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That title is some serious /r/ShitAmericansSay.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

And are you posting videos of "average Chinese"? Probably not.

These days, there are a heck of a lot of Chinese who have or will studied abroad and/or worked abroad. They come back, they buy stuff, and that's why we've seen more and more foreign fare show up at department stores and supermarkets. Sure, in the middle of the last decade it was more of a novelty, but if the relatively young crowd here on MMOC liked the look of one of "the girls" I'd guess them to be from the younger set and that crew tend to be pretty adventurous about trying new things. Will they have tried every single thing you can throw at them? No, but after the cats and dogs crack in the title, how about not making even Northern China look like you've discovered the Cargo Cult?

I suppose you count Jiangsu as being Westernized and southern, but when I worked in Wuxi it was a city of four million and had at least a Metro (the German department store) that carried a wide range of foreign products. Metro tends to be kinda large, they weren't being kept open by the expats. At eleven million, you are in one of the Tier 2 cities, I'd guess Tianjin based on population and being in the north. That's certainly large enough to have Watson's there, and I've yet to find a Watson's that didn't have a range of those drinks, particularly since Watson's produces store brand ginger ale and sarsaparilla. If you're in Tianjin, you probably have 7-11s too. Non-carbonated Mountain Dew? What the heck? I'm talking the screaming green plastic bottles of the stuff that are often found in places like Watson's and it is definitely carbonated.

You're farming hits for your Youtube, that's fine. Playing up the difference (especially the eating cats and dogs crack) just feeds certain stereotypes though. Then, Chinese students go overseas and get treated like they just walked in from a rural village and wonder what the hell their foreign classmates are thinking. I have a former student in Australia right now, and boy does that frustrate her. I have one of my gan nv'er getting ready to study in Europe next academic term. I have another former student about to study in Switzerland. So, I'd prefer to balance your video by pointing out that not all Chinese are going to find things like Doritos a surprise. That way, I'm less likely to get an earful.
    The still stands, you even admitted it in your post. The average Chinese has not tried Doritos, salt and vinegar lays, salty popcorn etc... And as for Dr Pepper, Root Beer, and Scheppes Ginger Ale, I'm convinced that even less people have tried it. And yes, the girls in the video were average Chinese English teachers. Most of them live on less than 2500 RMB per month. I'll have it uploaded to YouKu by the end of the week. (Everyone except for one person agreed) so I'm still waiting for the OK from her.

It's funny you should mention Watsons Ginger Ale, every Watsons I've ever been in here, has never carried ginger ale. The only places I've been able to find Watsons Ginger Ale have been Carrefour and Walmart. And we both know that sarsparilla isn't real root beer.. The fact is, that most Chinese people have not tried American junk food, and they prefer Chinese junk food. This video was simply meant to show the difference in taste buds between our two countries. There are countless videos of Americans trying British/Australian/South African food, and we hated all of it, it doesn't mean we are backwards, just the difference in taste buds.

Who ever knew culture could have an influence on your tastes and preferences?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

Deleted
    I've never tasted any of those things and I live in a big city in France, so it's not hard to imagine there are many places in China where people haven't tried those either.

Deleted
    cheese flavor doritos literally smell like old socks its gross

10+ Year Old Account
    This video was simply meant to show the difference in taste buds between our two countries.
    I would have been more inclined to believe that without the click bait thread title, and the follow-up about what "the girls" would be trying next week. As the French poster noted, he hasn't tried those things either, and yet I suspect that you're not going to be posting "French people can eat frogs. But they can't handle Doritos?" Since you keep bringing the "average" Chinese and you say Chinese eat cat, are you suggesting that the average Chinese person eats cats? No? So why did you bring it up if this is just about differing tastes?

Simply put, I can find a bag of Doritos or a can of ginger ale a lot easier than I can find a restaurant that serves cat or dog. You keep trying to duck behind the average of an aging, rural population that (including unregistered births) is well over 1.4 billion. To be literal, your "average Chinese English teacher" should be a male migrant worker with little formal education, running about twice their probable age, and equally unfamiliar with food from outside his home town and workplace. It's a meaningless point of reference. I'm walking into ordinary neighborhood stores and finding things like Cherry Dr. Pepper or Arizona Iced Tea. As far as I see it, that means there are ordinary Chinese who also walk in and buy that stuff.

There are countless videos of Americans trying British/Australian/South African food, and we hated all of it, it doesn't mean we are backwards, just the difference in taste buds.
    Yet, a different group might just as easily have liked those things. It says less about the nationality of the taster, or of the snack, than it does of the personality of the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by ichime
    I've never tasted any of those things and I live in a big city in France, so it's not hard to imagine there are many places in China where people haven't tried those either.
    Probably a lot of places, and if we're being honest there are areas of the US where one will find people who haven't tried Schweppes ginger ale either. We could probably make a fairly funny video of someone from the American Southwest confronting a deep dish Chicago pizza too. Neither of those things would draw the equivalent of the eating cats and dogs title this thread has, that's an appeal to a particular stereotype.