Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    lmao.... to detect gun crime.
    I wonder what else it'll detect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    In other words, gun control doesn't work?
    The point is to reduce crime. If you thought it was to completely eliminate it you were egregiously misled in that assumption. If the goal of laws designed to reduce crime had the goal of completely eliminating it, we may as well not have laws against murder, cause those clearly don't work.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Privacy issues aside (unrelated to a crime) I'm ok with this system. Used something similar in the military to detect mortar flight paths and drop locs, and a man-portable one to detect snipers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Privacy issues aside (unrelated to a crime) I'm ok with this system. Used something similar in the military to detect mortar flight paths and drop locs, and a man-portable one to detect snipers.
    It really doesn't matter if it's a public area. There's no reasonable expectation of privacy there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    It really doesn't matter if it's a public area. There's no reasonable expectation of privacy there.
    True
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The point is to reduce crime. If you thought it was to completely eliminate it you were egregiously misled in that assumption. If the goal of laws designed to reduce crime had the goal of completely eliminating it, we may as well not have laws against murder, cause those clearly don't work.
    You're confusing things Batman. One side wants to do things to prevent the crime from happening. The other side wants the crime to happen and then have Rambo's middle aged cousin shoot the person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Australia and places like Hong Kong would proibably disagree with that. But then again it could also because people there aren't as sociopathic.
    So theres no gun crime in either city?

Tell me, who did that muslim nutjob manage to get a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If you are that scared to live in your own county you should be ashamed of your country. When I read "freedom" the only thing I see is people scared shitless of their own.
    Scared no? Because I have protection. Being stripped of protection would make anyone scared and rightly so.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Scared no? Because I have protection. Being stripped of protection would make anyone scared and rightly so.
    I personally can't buy into the pro-gun arguments. I'm perfectly fine with just admitting it's for my own selfish motivation because it's a hobby (Archery, eh, we won't get bow control any time soon but I empathize with guys with guns) and that the individual should be able to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't interject on peoples' liberties (and no, firing in a firing range doesn't do that).

I'm responsible and if I'm not and kill someone then I get life or execution, simple as is. That's good enough.

I'm also willing to admit my life is boring and nothing bad will probably not happen to me in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Wouldn't the solution to this problem simply be to have the system not record ?
    Yeah, I see no reason for the system to record other than the express purpose of invading privacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    "In an effort to increase the safety of all Americans, everyone in the US will be required to have a video camera, microphone, and GPS device implanted in them and hooked to a central FBI computer. As the data will only be accesses with a court order, there are no Constitutional issues."

This has been used in cities like Washington D.C. for years. Nothing new, invasive or ground breaking. You have no expectation of privacy in public. Cameras, microphones, all irrelevant as privacy does not exist in public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    This has been used in cities like Washington D.C. for years. Nothing new, invasive or ground breaking. You have no expectation of privacy in public. Cameras, microphones, all irrelevant as privacy does not exist in public.
    Yet the police try to prevent people from filming them in public...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Yet the police try to prevent people from filming them in public...
    And are then routinely told to go fuck themselves by courts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    And are then routinely told to go fuck themselves by courts.
    After getting to destroy the evidence of their misconduct, so its a minor slap on the hand at best.

Big Brother will be used for everything but.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So theres no gun crime in either city?

Tell me, who did that muslim nutjob manage to get a shotgun?
    Because anecdotal evidence is just that? If one bastards wants to get a gun an do a crime he will get one, doesn't mean the thousands of other cases on gun related crimes are happening. No one buys a gun for 20 grand on the black market to rob a liquor store for 200 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    You're confusing things Batman. One side wants to do things to prevent the crime from happening. The other side wants the crime to happen and then have Rambo's middle aged cousin shoot the person.
    Will never happen with out crushing oppression, precrime or thought police. You cannot stop things before they happen.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Couldn't vehicle backfire easily be detected as a gunshot?
    Or even dropping something heavy?

Crime in america is at its lowest levels, in history. I fail to see why we need to ramp up our anti-crime ability's more than ever when crime is lower than ever.
    Plus these microphones should be illegal to place within so much distance of anything residential and businesses should have to inform people there is a microphone in their establishment, not just in small righting, try multiple massive signs and a specific shared icon/sign so everyone easily recognizes it.
    Spying on everyone is not an acceptable alternative to crime.
    Like i said, id rather have 1 9/11 every ten years instead of the NSA, and I would be fine dieing in one of them, mainly because the evil person would be the terrorist, not our own government, protector.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Good, bad or a direct violation of your 4th amendment?
    How is it a violation of the 4th amendment? Jesus do you just pull out random amendments and ask if a law violated them?

You have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public, that's why it is called "public" as opposed to "private". Anything you say or do can be recorded, retained, monitored or transmitted.

I think the bigger question is if the devices are even useful! With a 75% inaccuracy rating that sounds like a terrible device that is going to be running the police on more wild-goose chases than less.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.