10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    From what's going on currently it isn't a single message and it's also just stupid. Like why is it limited time anyway? The mount itself is extremely basic.
    Easier to make it so people will have a spur of the moment buy, great for short burst of revenue, terrible for public outlook.

Why not just put the message in the launcher anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    From what's going on currently it isn't a single message and it's also just stupid. Like why is it limited time anyway? The mount itself is extremely basic.
    Because limited time items, even if they return regularly, have the illusion of scarcity and it drives sales.

And it's apparently supposed to be only one message per day, just not working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because limited time items, even if they return regularly, have the illusion of scarcity and it drives sales.

And it's apparently supposed to be only one message per day, just not working properly.
    I think the launcher and/or login screen would be better options.

Quote Originally Posted by warlockiii View Post
    I think the launcher and/or login screen would be better options.
    I agree, having news like that pop up in the launcher and upon first login is preferable. But the point still remains that if it's a single message per day...that's like, nothing. Oh heavens, 5-10 seconds of your gaming experience is now spent un-immersed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh heavens, 5-10 seconds of your gaming experience is now spent un-immersed.
    Oh heavens, 5-10 seconds of your gaming experience is now spent reminding you that the developers produced yet another mount to be sold to your for money that could've been earned ingame, and that they will continue pressuring you very annoyingly that it is out there for you to buy until the next one comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Oh heavens, 5-10 seconds of your gaming experience
    1/360th of an hour! Oh heavens be! MY EXPERIENCE IS COMPLETELY RUINED FOR THE DAY NOW!

is now spent reminding you that the developers produced yet another mount to be sold to your for money that could've been earned ingame,
    And that if they weren't selling it and had "stuck to their guns", that the game would likely see significantly less support due to the smaller revenue stream leaving a smaller development team.

The current situation still seems infinitely more preferable to me, but I put a bigger focus on, you know, gameplay and the content.

and that they will continue pressuring you very annoyingly that it is out there for you to buy until the next one comes out.
    Pressuring? Very annoyingly? Again, this is a single message a day. It's a reminder, it's not pressure. If a 10 second message seen during a 4 hour play session that is otherwise enjoyable is "annoying" enough to ruin the experience, then clearly you're not really enjoying the game.

This is making Mt. Everest out of a few grains of sand that happen to be piled together. Sheesh.

They didn't do a particularly good job of marketing the mount. Those in-game (even launcher) notifications are meaningless to anyone who isn't playing and I hadn't planned to log in this weekend. Were it not for keeping tabs on this thread I probably never would have known about it. There was no promotional e-mail and I see they only added a mention of it on Facebook just 9 hours ago for a 4-day limited sale that started 3 days ago.

Personally, I love all things leopard so I wanted this mount the moment I saw it and would have been upset if I'd missed out on it. I really hope they figure this out before next time.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    Yeah, doubt they will do another limited time mount the same as they do now. They've seen the feedback and probably did not like the media backlash they got from it.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    Yeah, doubt they will do another limited time mount the same as they do now. They've seen the feedback and probably did not like the media backlash they got from it.
    What media backlash? I think the only site I've seen cover it so far has been Massively. Haven't seen it on any of the bigger sites or even any of the other MMO specific sites that I check sometimes.

Honestly, the only thing that would probably make them stop is if it didn't drive sales or if it had a big immediate affect on players not logging in/staying logged in. If it drives sales/revenue, expect it to stick around.

Pardon me for intruding upon the present discussion, but I'm one of the beta testers that got invited back for the weekend event, and I had some questions, and wasn't sure if I'd be able to post on the official forums or not.

One of the more readily apparent changes between the beta and the current game are the changes they made to the tutorial/beginning levels. Back during the beta, during the "prison break" in Coldharbour at the beginning of the game, players eventually reached an armory where they got to pick their first weapon. In the current game, you get your first weapon from a dead guard, and it's always a two-handed sword. Is there a reason why they changed this? I really liked having the option to choose what my starting weapon was gonna be, especially with how things work in ESO, where your skills only level up if you've actively using the corresponding weapons/gear/abilities. If, for example, I wanted to make a character that primarily used the destruction staff, it seems like now I have to wait until I get lucky with either drops or quest rewards before I can start leveling up my skill with the destruction staff, and in the meantime, I'm earning levels for a weapon I may not necessarily use.

Also, I had heard, even all the way back in the beta, that they were gonna let people skip the starter islands after Coldharbour, but the manner with which they went about this seems to have made the flow of the story a tad disjointed. Is it actually possible to completely skip the starter islands from a storyline standpoint? Or was this merely a gameplay convenience for people who wanted to have access to a major town sooner?

And yes, I actually haven't made it too far past the opening levels. This "welcome back" event kind of came at an awkward time for me, where most of my free time is already spoken for, so I haven't really been able to do much beyond messing around with creating a few characters, so far.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

If you are on EU, I will be happy to craft a staff for you, just whisper @skayaq.

For the second part, depends on which faction you are, for dc you can easily skip the starting islands with little effect on the story(at least imo), but for ep and ad the story ties into the story of the main zones.
    Last edited by Skayaq; 2015-04-19 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how it worked before, but running through Coldharbour now will give you at least one of each type of weapon if you loot everything. I think there was always two guaranteed Destruction staffs in the area after you talk to Cadwell in all of my runs through it. I do think it's kind of silly to make you start with a two-hander though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    If you are on EU, I will be happy to craft a staff for you, just whisper @skayaq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    I'm not sure how it worked before, but running through Coldharbour now will give you at least one of each type of weapon if you loot everything. I think there was always two guaranteed Destruction staffs in the area after you talk to Cadwell in all of my runs through it. I do think it's kind of silly to make you start with a two-hander though.
    I appreciate the offer, and the suggestion, but again, my issue is the fact that you can no longer start leveling up your weapon of choice right from the start, without the, perhaps minor, inconvenience of having someone else craft it for you, or having to loot everything and hoping you get lucky, or what have you. I'm gonna guess that they decided to remove the armory part of the prison break sequence, and the option to pick a starting weapon, when they were going through and streamlining the Coldharbour tutorial sequence as a whole, but as I've made evident, I really think they should have kept that part, especially with how leveling skills in this game works. Do people here know if it might be possible for former beta testers or otherwise non-current players to post on the forums? If so, I'd wouldn't mind mentioning my issue there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    For the second part, depends on which faction you are, for dc you can easily skip the starting islands with little effect on the story(at least imo), but for ep and ad the story ties into the story of the main zones.
    I guess I was asking more if you could actually skip the starter islands, not whether or not you should. Given your response advising me against skipping the starting zones for the Dominion and Pact, implying that I potentially could, I suppose that answers my question, though.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone can post on the site so long as they have a account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Pardon me for intruding upon the present discussion, but I'm one of the beta testers that got invited back for the weekend event, and I had some questions, and wasn't sure if I'd be able to post on the official forums or not.

One of the more readily apparent changes between the beta and the current game are the changes they made to the tutorial/beginning levels. Back during the beta, during the "prison break" in Coldharbour at the beginning of the game, players eventually reached an armory where they got to pick their first weapon. In the current game, you get your first weapon from a dead guard, and it's always a two-handed sword. Is there a reason why they changed this? I really liked having the option to choose what my starting weapon was gonna be, especially with how things work in ESO, where your skills only level up if you've actively using the corresponding weapons/gear/abilities. If, for example, I wanted to make a character that primarily used the destruction staff, it seems like now I have to wait until I get lucky with either drops or quest rewards before I can start leveling up my skill with the destruction staff, and in the meantime, I'm earning levels for a weapon I may not necessarily use.

Also, I had heard, even all the way back in the beta, that they were gonna let people skip the starter islands after Coldharbour, but the manner with which they went about this seems to have made the flow of the story a tad disjointed. Is it actually possible to completely skip the starter islands from a storyline standpoint? Or was this merely a gameplay convenience for people who wanted to have access to a major town sooner?

And yes, I actually haven't made it too far past the opening levels. This "welcome back" event kind of came at an awkward time for me, where most of my free time is already spoken for, so I haven't really been able to do much beyond messing around with creating a few characters, so far.
    You can pick weapons off of dead corpses in the tutorial. Last time I ran through after they made the changes to the prisonbreak, I was able to loot a lot of various weapons. They are all worth 0 gold though. But you can try out different ones to see what you like. I think the point was you are breaking out of prison. You get what you are lucky enough to find.

You can return to the starter islands if you want to. Or you can skip them. I personally think the story flows better if you do them. I haven't really tested out what happens to the overall flow of the storyline if you skip them. I happen to like them. But I guess if someone was leveling their 8th character and bored of the starter islands, skipping them would be quite appreciated I should think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    You can return to the starter islands if you want to. Or you can skip them. I personally think the story flows better if you do them.
    I believe quest/level flow works better with them as well. The initial quests from the city were scaled down for people who wanted to skip the starter islands, but I'm not sure much else was. Now that I think about it, that could be a contributing factor to some people feeling underleveled.

I haven't seen any of the tutorial changes since my account is full. I really wish Zenimax would hurry up and start selling additional character slots. I would buy 4 more for sure.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    console betas start tommorow
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    technically.. orcs are elves.
    A technicality that is ignored most of the time. Their elven name specifically labels them as outcasts.

- - - Updated - - -

So does anyone in this thread know much about character optimization?

While I'm enjoying my smashy smashy orc I'm wondering if it would be too sub-optimal to make a high elf who does both heavy armor and lots of magic. Shame you can't dual wield staves like in Skyrim...

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    A technicality that is ignored most of the time. Their elven name specifically labels them as outcasts.

- - - Updated - - -

While I'm enjoying my smashy smashy orc I'm wondering if it would be too sub-optimal to make a high elf who does both heavy armor and lots of magic. Shame you can't dual wield staves like in Skyrim...
    just looking at the passives on light and heavy armor would answer this the more heavy the more armor and spell resistance more light more dps but of course this all depends on what you do pve you would want the most dps possible(this currently is all light armor nothing but spell power) pvp you need some defense depending on what build or class you roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Going all heavy would be a bit gimped, honestly. You'll lose out on so much magicka and it's regen. Spell resist isn't a big deal leveling at first but when you get later into the game, having a bit of spell resist and armor make things much easier. One route a lot of casters take it going heavy chest (most amount of armor) a medium armor piece (whatever is second highest armor slot, leggings i think) and 5 light. This will get you a bit of armor, spell resist, and it will allow you to take advantage of the Undaunted passive "Undaunted Mettle" which gives your max Health, Magicka, and Stamina by 1% per type of armor equipped. So in the example I show above, you'd get 3%.