Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    is worth pointing out that it's more than animation cancelling, it's kind of the whole package. it just feels bad.
    animation canceling is the linchpin for me. all the other combat issues I can deal with individually, but the weaving? that's the last straw that broke the camel's back for me. if every other issue was there, but not weaving? I could still enjoy the combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    animation canceling is the linchpin for me. all the other combat issues I can deal with individually, but the weaving? that's the last straw that broke the camel's back for me. if every other issue was there, but not weaving? I could still enjoy the combat.
    Fair point, but to complete the vast majority of content (the story quests and and normal dungeons) you don't need to do weaving at all. So if that's your primary motivator for playing, you can enjoy it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Fair point, but to complete the vast majority of content (the story quests and and normal dungeons) you don't need to do weaving at all. So if that's your primary motivator for playing, you can enjoy it just fine.
    This. Combat still sucks, but I'm back and playing and still haven't the foggiest clue how to weave. It's beyond unnecessary for overworld content, especially if you've got a companion with you.

Speaking of, just got the catgirl companion so that's nice. Finally, I can catch bugs without my companion getting angry with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    100% which is why I'm still playing I just haven't done any group content in ages, other then very occasionally super casual normal trials group that hasn't ran in a few months either. do I want to make my way through DLC dungeons for the story at least? yeah.... but pugs like to sprint through and I can't solo them so.. blah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This. Combat still sucks, but I'm back and playing and still haven't the foggiest clue how to weave. It's beyond unnecessary for overworld content, especially if you've got a companion with you.

Speaking of, just got the catgirl companion so that's nice. Finally, I can catch bugs without my companion getting angry with me.
    Miri... calm down, its not my fault that this damn butterfly or a torchbug was right next to a wood log... upcoming companions have some really nice bonuses, btw. one helps with fishing achievements and the other helps with finding recipes, treasure maps (as in getting new ones) etc. here's to hoping they don't hate something ridiculous...
    (like Bastian hating when you craft anything with cheese >_> )

You can do the normal modes. But part of the reason people play a game is for the challenge. Veteran DLC dungeons and raids are very hard if no one is playing "Correctly" and HMs are just impossible. Once you are done with the story it doesn't leave you with much other than grinding dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You can do the normal modes. But part of the reason people play a game is for the challenge. Veteran DLC dungeons and raids are very hard if no one is playing "Correctly" and HMs are just impossible. Once you are done with the story it doesn't leave you with much other than grinding dailies.
    Some people. Some people don't. I mostly seek experiences in games rather than challenge. Will I fuck with some Wo Long other hard shit? Yeah, sometimes. But most of the time a game like ESO where it's a fairly chill, hard to fuck up and get frustrated experience where I get to explore a pretty world and do a bunch of fun quests and participate in interesting narratives is very much my jam.

Some people. Some people don't. I mostly seek experiences in games rather than challenge. Will I fuck with some Wo Long other hard shit? Yeah, sometimes. But most of the time a game like ESO where it's a fairly chill, hard to fuck up and get frustrated experience where I get to explore a pretty world and do a bunch of fun quests and participate in interesting narratives is very much my jam.
    Cool but the entire premise of the argument I started way earlier was that the game could have been more successful in attracting customers if they had taken a more radical approach in changing their combat style much earlier in the franchise (hopefully before Morrowind). It already can bring people who want to experience the story just fine (but it cannot keep them, no MMO can because no MMO can pump up non-repeatable content as fast as we will consume it). But it cannot attract customers who are gameplay first.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2023-04-21 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Cool but the entire premise of the argument I started way earlier was that the game could have been more successful in attracting customers if they had taken a more radical approach in changing their combat style much earlier in the franchise (hopefully before Morrowind). It already can bring people who want to experience the story just fine (but it cannot keep them, no MMO can because no MMO can pump up non-repeatable content as fast as we will consume it). But it cannot attract customers who are gameplay first.
    Ironicaly, Morrowind is where they fucked combat up in a first place, by messing too much with sustain. prior to that while weaving was still a thing, no one, NO ONE did it to the degree that its required now. because it wasn't necessary. the ultra precision timed weaving we have today and that DLC + hardmode content is being tuned for? was CAUSED by Morrowind changes. and they have been trying to close the gap ever since, unsuccessfully, because once that particular padora's box is open? there is no going back unless you build a completely new box.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those of you who dislike weaving, on the PTS currently is a new mythic item that may be of note:

Velothi Ur-Mage’s Amulet – Necklace

1 – Adds 4968 Offensive Penetration
    1 – Increase your damage done to monsters by 15%, Critical Damage by 15%, and reduce your Light and Heavy Attack damage by 99%.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...h-notes-v9-0-0

(“Monsters meaning everything outside of pvp. Not just “boss” creatures.)

This appears to be aimed squarely at the “I hate light attack weaving” crowd.

Keep in mind it is as subject to change. Personally, I am a bit worried at being a bit helpless if I run out of resources, maybe this may work better with hybrid builds.
    Last edited by BrokenRavens; 2023-04-24 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenRavens View Post
    For those of you who dislike weaving, on the PTS currently is a new mythic item that may be of note:

1 – Increase your damage done to monsters by 15%, Critical Damage by 15%, and reduce your Light and Heavy Attack damage by 99%.

Keep in mind it is as subject to change. personally, I am a bit worried at being a bit helpless if I run out of resources, maybe this may work better with hybrid builds.
    I don't think damage boost is nearly enough to compensate for not getting light attack damage, since as I have stated above - the main reason why weaving got the way it did was because of the resource management changes they implemented in vvardenfel. those changes while adjusted over the year, are technically still there and resource management without weaving is still an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    I don't think damage boost is nearly enough to compensate for not getting light attack damage, since as I have stated above - the main reason why weaving got the way it did was because of the resource management changes they implemented in vvardenfel. those changes while adjusted over the year, are technically still there and resource management without weaving is still an issue.
    That is why I think hybrid builds may be the way to go with this.

Another issue with this mythic is that while weaving may be gone, it brings back having to bar swap to get maximum dps. I think single bar builds (with weaving) will still be far more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenRavens View Post

Keep in mind it is as subject to change. Personally, I am a bit worried at being a bit helpless if I run out of resources, maybe this may work better with hybrid builds.
    I think they should go route the DC Universe went, make player choose on of 3 styles:
    - Light/Heavy attack reliance (buff light and heavy attacks and make skills less usefull dmg wise)
    - Skill builds (make skills powerfull and dont rely at all on light or heavy attacks, change some skills to restore resources)
    - Hybrid (current with weaving)

And just balance those 3 styles to be close to each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit spoiler-y, but this is nothing more than mood images of the new Lovecraftian inspired zone of Apochrypha for ESO.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.youtube.com/live/JALJItL...Ju3vdP7gC5qbxw

A lot of fun info in here. Apparently they were really going for a straight up wow clone, then Skyrim came out, so 1/2 way through development they had to redo everything.

Tab targeting gone, any class can wear and use any weapon/armor, in. It’s interesting to hear about how much of a pivot they did so late in the development process.

The get together in Amsterdam looked fun, even former Bethesda employee Pete Hines showed up.
    Last edited by BrokenRavens; 2024-04-06 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Fixed YouTube link