Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Russia has gone too far this time.

I am personally outraged at these developments, this sickening attempt at policing the Internet and what people look at is despicable. Information Control at its finest.
    Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Banning memes is "too far" of all the things Russia has done recently?

First-world problems much?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Sucks for Russian people, but I'm hardly surprised.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ass View Post
    I am personally outraged at these developments, this sickening attempt at policing the Internet and what people look at is despicable. Information Control at its finest.
    Thoughts?
    Winston would be proud.

Russia is a developed country?

I don't see how they could effectively control information if most citizens are Internet savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ass View Post
    Thoughts?
    I would be more upset about this.

FCC's net neutrality rules open door to new fee on Internet service.

Every month, consumers pay a small fee on their phone bills for a federal program that uses the money — a total of $8.8 billion raised nationwide last year — to provide affordable access to telecommunications services in rural areas, underserved inner cities and schools.

Now the fee could start appearing on broadband bills too, in a major expansion of the nearly two-decade-old Universal Service Fund program.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Russia is a developed country?

I don't see how they could effectively control information if most citizens are Internet savvy.
    I'm weak on internet access tech nowadays, but iirc, unless they have satellite access, Russia government can cut off their access completely, or police it heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Really? Banning memes is "too far" of all the things Russia has done recently?
    Yeah man, what are Russia going to do now that they're being deprived of memes? It's sickening, I tell you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I would be more upset about this.

FCC's net neutrality rules open door to new fee on Internet service.

Every month, consumers pay a small fee on their phone bills for a federal program that uses the money — a total of $8.8 billion raised nationwide last year — to provide affordable access to telecommunications services in rural areas, underserved inner cities and schools.

Now the fee could start appearing on broadband bills too, in a major expansion of the nearly two-decade-old Universal Service Fund program.
    If the fee is across the board, and not based on speed/provider/etc, what's the concern? I'm with you, don't get me wrong, but if it's not limited to some aside from adding more to our monthly bills, what's the downside?

Just asking - not going to jump down your throat, I promise.

If I was supreme dictator for life I would ban some memes too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Incoming KIPP, Kremlin Internet Propaganda Posse to tell us everything is fine

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried to tell a billion freaking people at this point. Abuse your anonymity and eventually you're going to get crackdowns. The more you draw attention to the internet and the more you show how much of an asshole you can be on it without getting caught, the harder you make it for all of us in the future. This doesn't have much to do with the memes in Russia...or maybe it does, who knows. But the point is...prevent shit like this from happening elsewhere by not trolling and being a douche deliberately all the time just because you can.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

"To be clear, this isn’t a new law passed by parliament or anything — it’s just a (pretty startling) clarification of existing policy, published to the popular social network Vkontakte. According to Russian media, the announcement came in light of a lawsuit filed by the Russian singer Valeri Syutkin, who sued an irreverent Wikipedia-style culture site over an image macro that paired his picture with some less-than-tasteful lyrics from another artist’s song. On Tuesday, a Moscow judge ruled for Syutkin, prompting the Roskomnadzor to publish an update to its “personal data laws.”"

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    If the fee is across the board, and not based on speed/provider/etc, what's the concern? I'm with you, don't get me wrong, but if it's not limited to some aside from adding more to our monthly bills, what's the downside?

Just asking - not going to jump down your throat, I promise.
    In approving the tough rules for online traffic in February, the Federal Communications Commission put broadband in the same regulatory category as phone service, opening the door for the charges.

FCC confirms new net neutrality rules give government control over Internet rates

Who pays for a net neutral Internet?
    For phone service, telecom firms pass the fees directly to their customers, with the average household paying about $3 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Anarchist View Post
    Exactly, so exaggurated western propaganda against Russia like usual.
    Poor Russia?

<censored sad Putin meme>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Poor Russia?

<censored sad Putin meme>
    Nah bro, they're fine.
    It's you who acts childish by using poor propaganda like this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Nah bro, they're fine.
    It's you who acts childish by using poor propaganda like this.
    Feel free to lobby that Russia is not at the bottom of some important aspects such as freedom of press, democracy, corruption.
    Lovely leadership eh?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2015-04-11 at 02:20 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Feel free to lobby that Russia is not at the bottom of some important aspects such as freedom of press, democracy, corruption.
    Lovely place eh and lets not forget waiting to become a democracy.
    Every "culture" does have some positive and negative points. For us? Try to criticize Jews and you'll lose everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Every "culture" does have some positive and negative points. For us? Try to criticize Jews and you'll lose everything.
    Sure you had a point somewhere lost in the void.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    In approving the tough rules for online traffic in February, the Federal Communications Commission put broadband in the same regulatory category as phone service, opening the door for the charges.

FCC confirms new net neutrality rules give government control over Internet rates

Who pays for a net neutral Internet?
    For phone service, telecom firms pass the fees directly to their customers, with the average household paying about $3 a month.
    Isn't that the cost for net neutrality, though? I mean, I don't want my bills to go up - but I'll pay $5-20/mo more to ensure net neutrality. I think I'm misunderstanding something here though - help out?