Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Hc Kromog & its tank debuff

So we are wiping on Heroic Kromog, on sub 30% cause our paladin tank keeps dying to tank debuff, when we ask him what happened on vent he says that its not his problems cause he cant run far enough with the slow debuff on him. SO heres the question: are our tanks doing it wrong? They start swapping at 2 then after 1st runes they swap at 3 stacks, and while our bear just jumps out for the mighty blow ability(or however its named on english) our paladin is struggling and we just cant get around it. So, any suggestions?

I know a lot of people like 3 tanking the fight for this reason. If possible, I would suggest trying that. Just switch at two stacks the whole fight through and the lack of blink/charge by the paladin will be a nonissue.

He really does not have to move far to minimise the damage. 5 yards away is more than enough to lower the damage to manageable levels.
    That being said, he's a paladin; if he doesn't have SOTR up for every single slam, he's bad. If he does have SOTR up for every single slam, he shouldn't be taking big spikes.

Deleted
    We simply use our two priests to grab them out most of the time, if leap of faith is on cd they can always heroic leap as we're using two warriors, but I'd asume the pally can just HoF himself as it's a snare?

Deleted
    HoF does nothing

- - - Updated - - -

As to SoTR, he does have it up for every signel slam, but still getting 200k ish hits

We run it with 1 pala and 1 warrior.

Warrior does the shit-job, and just leaps away for every slam.

1st phase: pala gets 1 stack, warrior 2 stacks.
    Interphase: pala bubbles and ignores mechanic, resumes tanking.
    2nd phase: pala gets 2 stacks, warrior 3 stacks
    Interphase: pala bops and ignores mechanic, resumes tanking.
    3th phase: pala gets 2 stacks, warrior rest till boss dies.

If it kills your paladin having just 2 stacks he's pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I 2 tank this fight as a DK with a prot pally, and while we swap at 2 stacks we both will eventually get to 3. But we don't die during Slam (that move you were speaking of) due to we both move far enough away while using a defensive cd, as draco pointed out him using SotR and I using Rune Tap neither of us drops below 50% if at full before the slam

Tell him to take long arm of the law. When slam starts to cast you should already be as far out as you can be while being in melee. Hit judgement and run straight back.

Gratz, slam now does no damage (relatively speaking)
    Last edited by britishbubba; 2015-03-02 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    Tell him to take long arm of the law. When slam starts to cast you should already be as far out as you can be while being in melee. Hit judgement and run straight back.

Gratz, slam now does no damage (relatively speaking)
    Being far away from the boss would be counter productive when slam starts, by the way. Slam picks the position of the aggro-target when it starts casting, and then hits that position when the cast ends. The closer you are, the more damage you take. If the paladin+other tank is max range from the boss when slam starts, they both do more damage to the ranged (that'll be closer), have to run the same distance, and have to struggle to make it back into boss' melee range quickly after the Slam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Being far away from the boss would be counter productive when slam starts, by the way. Slam picks the position of the aggro-target when it starts casting, and then hits that position when the cast ends. The closer you are, the more damage you take. If the paladin+other tank is max range from the boss when slam starts, they both do more damage to the ranged (that'll be closer), have to run the same distance, and have to struggle to make it back into boss' melee range quickly after the Slam.
    Wow, dude, thats our problem then! The tanks stay at max range from the boss, hence the struggle to make it back... THANKS!

Paladins have limited tools to escape Slam when they have 3 stacks of the debuff, so they just have to do their best and use CDs. It's especially hard because they can only use their SoR while in melee - they need to need to make sure they have enough HoPo to cast it, and run away as far as possible given their slow speed.

One thing you need to ensure is that the tanks NEVER get 4 stacks, because this will usually result in a wipe. You will get between 5 and 6 applications of the debuff during each phase between grasping runes (the timer varies). If you taunt at 2 stacks and when your debuff has fallen off, it's possible you will get 4 applications within the next minute (before the other tank can swap back. The only way to avoid this is to make sure a fresh tank picks up the boss at the start of every phase. I actually IGNORE bossmods on this one. If the first tank ALWAYS takes 3 stacks, then the 2nd tank will take 2-3 stacks before the intermission, during which time the main tank's stacks WILL fall off.

Finally, proper healing can really save the tanks' on this fight. Melee attacks are about 2 seconds apart, and with fists of stone, each tank can potentially take about 400K in 2 seconds if they have high debuffs and don't block/parry or mitigate. The only cure for this problem is absorbs. Disc Priests, and Holy Paladins produce tons of absorbs which can provide tanks with upwards of 600K total HP with absorbs. Slam simply can't kill a tank with that much health.

If you can make sure that the tanks never get 4 stacks of the debuff, and have lots of absorbs, you will find they won't get randomly killed anymore.

I've tanked it with a Paladin multiple times and we have had no issues: First tank gets 3 stack, second gets 2-3, when intermission is over the first tank should no longer have the debuff. For slam it is 100% his fault if he is dying. Tell him to ensure he uses SOTR and move as much as he can, i play a DK and by no means am i a mobile tank and manage just fine as well. He could also call out for an external i am assuming your raid at least has a few.

If your tank is completely incompetent just 3 tank it i guess, enrage timer is not an issue whatsoever.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kseux View Post
    Wow, dude, thats our problem then! The tanks stay at max range from the boss, hence the struggle to make it back... THANKS!
    Yep, once Slam starts casting, tanks can actually move horizontally instead of away from the boss to minimise damage taken while never moving out of melee range. Uber convenient.

can always ask for an external CD or like someone else above said use a priest to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    You know, if I had read the ability in the dungeon journal more than once, I would have noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmc454 View Post
    I 2 tank this fight as a DK with a prot pally, and while we swap at 2 stacks we both will eventually get to 3. But we don't die during Slam (that move you were speaking of) due to we both move far enough away while using a defensive cd, as draco pointed out him using SotR and I using Rune Tap neither of us drops below 50% if at full before the slam
    ^this I 2 tank this as a dk with a prot warrior and theirs no reason you shouldnt be able to mitigate at least 20-40% of every slam with internal and external CD's. Dying with only 2 stacks means something else is wrong. Occasionally one of us will mess up a taunt or something and one of use will end up with 3-4 stacks. Just save your 3 min CD's for -30%

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild 2 Tanks this fights, We do 2 Stacks each than 3 stacks each the rest of the fight. Sometimes we wont get a 2nd or 3rd stack on the 2nd tank before Runes comes out. We cycle are own speed boosts & raid speed boosts to get out of slam in time. but Tanks are also prepared for when it come & have personals, raid wide CDs & healthstone or potion ready if needed.

During progression us tanks died a couple times, but we found are strengths & weaknesses for it. Prot Pally is very squishy i have noticed on Kromog.

We run Bear Tank / Brewmaster Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kseux View Post
    when we ask him what happened on vent he says that its not his problems cause he cant run far enough with the slow debuff on him.
    He's wrong. I play a DK, the slowest tank in the game, and I am able to get away from it without any issue.

Have him use a speed increase talent, turn, and run from the boss. Unless he's key-turning, he should be able to get away and get back with plenty of room for error.
    ~RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    He's wrong. I play a DK, the slowest tank in the game, and I am able to get away from it without any issue.

Have him use a speed increase talent, turn, and run from the boss. Unless he's key-turning, he should be able to get away and get back with plenty of room for error.
    Like already said, don't even need to turn, just strafe away.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    You know, if I had read the ability in the dungeon journal more than once, I would have noticed that.
    You wouldn't have because the ability tooltip for Slam is vague as hell.
    Kromog strikes the ground beneath his primary target, dealing up to 556920 Physical damage to all players, reduced based on their distance from the impact point.