Is talking needed?

Hey

I was thinking about going through Soul silver randomized and posting it on youtube but kinda not comfortable with talking in it so i wanna ask you guys if it's weird if i don't talk during it? If any of you guys have any experience with watching gameplay videos and what do you prefer
    Last edited by SkagenRora; 2015-03-28 at 04:29 PM.

Go for it. Do it how you wanna do it.

Personally, I don't like or understand the whole Let's Play thing, but good luck anyways.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

When I watch a playthrough, I'm going for immersion, not a caster who just talks and tries to be funny while playing it. Voice isn't required at all (just make sure you put in "no commentary", and also perhaps edit out the doldrum sections of the videos (ie, 20 minutes of comparing stats). Gopher does an excellent, non-intrusive, immersive voiced playthrough of games if you want an example. I prefer voiced playthroughs the likes of Gopher, because he's able to draw me into the story with him and experience the tension and the excitement.

The only videos I'll watch for games are ones with no commentary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    When I watch a playthrough, I'm going for immersion, not a caster who just talks and tries to be funny while playing it. Voice isn't required at all (just make sure you put in "no commentary", and also perhaps edit out the doldrum sections of the videos (ie, 20 minutes of comparing stats). Gopher does an excellent, non-intrusive, immersive voiced playthrough of games if you want an example. I prefer voiced playthroughs the likes of Gopher, because he's able to draw me into the story with him and experience the tension and the excitement.
    Awesome! Another one of Gophers Minions. Yeah, I love the way he does his Let's Plays. He doesn't really talk as a player, he tends to talk as the character he is playing. Really fun to watch without taking you out of the game world.

No commentary gameplay can be appropriate in certain situations dictated by the game but otherwise it is lazy, useless and poor production.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No commentary gameplay can be appropriate in certain situations dictated by the game but otherwise it is lazy, useless and poor production.
    ...I'm watching to see the game, not to hear some loser make comments.

Honestly it really feels like it breaks game immersion to have someone randomly speak to interrupt the game constantly. How can people like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Honestly it really feels like it breaks game immersion to have someone randomly speak to interrupt the game constantly. How can people like that?
    I mean why is streaming such a popular thing? There is a market for people playing games and giving commentary. It isn't for everyone but if someone does it just right it really adds to the enjoyment of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I mean why is streaming such a popular thing? There is a market for people playing games and giving commentary. It isn't for everyone but if someone does it just right it really adds to the enjoyment of a game.
    No, I agree that some people like it. I don't understand why, but it's okay.

But to say that making a gameplay video without commentary is lazy and bad work....that's a bit over the top.

Seems like a personal irritation. The video presenter is ideally in the business of delivering a demonstration of skill, knowledge &/or critique.

Immersion is not gameplay and demonstration via Let's Play is not intended to deliver such. The expectation and desire you are expressing is incompatible with the medium of video game demonstration by viewership.

In essence, you are simply saying you enjoy poor demonstration of video game gameplay.

I personally don't like to watch let's plays without commentary. If i wanted just the gameplay i'd buy the damn game myself and play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never understood "Let's play" all that much, but to each their own. The only time I use them is from certain youtubers who do informative commentaries and explain what they are doing without trying to be a smartass or make some lame joke. You definitely need a certain kind of personality to appeal to the masses on youtube with let's plays if you ever decide to commentate.

OP what you are describing is more of a walkthrough, if you don't want to talk you could always do some tasteful bits of text showing what you are doing at certain points in the video to help the viewers understand why you are doing the certain things you are doing or to help the viewer find things in game or defeat bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

I watch games for the personality playing the game, and only then on my 2nd monitor while I'm playing something myself.

If Northernlion didn't talk, I wouldn't watch his channel every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, let me be blunt here. I normally prefer "Let's play"s with commentary; however, I will take "Let's play" without commentary over "Let's play" with lame uninspired commentary every day. Some people, like you, don't like talking while playing, but they feel like they have to, so they force themselves to do so, try to joke, to be cool and such - it sounds really pathetic.

That said, even if you don't want to talk extensively while playing, you can always make some short remarks to the point. Don't force yourself to talk more than you like, just briefly explain what and why you do. This way it is relaxing both for you and for watchers, and also the watchers don't experience the uncomfortable silence.

Here is a few examples:

1) Inspired commentary - great and funny:

2) Commentary to the point - great and serious:

3) No commentary - sometimes can be great:

Not very good for lengthy "Let's play"s, IMO, as observers become bored.

4) Lame uninspired commentary - godawful.
    Won't give an example so as not to offend a streamer, but you can easily imagine it: a bored guy mumbling something, forcefully laughing and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    OK, let me be blunt here. I normally prefer "Let's play"s with commentary; however, I will take "Let's play" without commentary over "Let's play" with lame uninspired commentary every day. Some people, like you, don't like talking while playing, but they feel like they have to, so they force themselves to do so, try to joke, to be cool and such - it sounds really pathetic.

That said, even if you don't want to talk extensively while playing, you can always make some short remarks to the point. Don't force yourself to talk more than you like, just briefly explain what and why you do. This way it is relaxing both for you and for watchers, and also the watchers don't experience the uncomfortable silence.

Here is a few examples:

1) Inspired commentary - great and funny:

2) Commentary to the point - great and serious:

3) No commentary - sometimes can be great:

Not very good for lengthy "Let's play"s, IMO, as observers become bored.

4) Lame uninspired commentary - godawful.
    Won't give an example so as not to offend a streamer, but you can easily imagine it: a bored guy mumbling something, forcefully laughing and such.
    Please tell me it's DSP.

then why not just watch a walkthrough or one of the many channels that do "video game movies" of all the cutscenes?

not talking seems kind of the opposite of the point of a lets play which is to experience the game alongside the person, if they arent commentating its not really a lets play
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not really a Let's Play but more of a walkthrough if you aren't commenting and talking. if there is quality content people will watch it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    if there is quality content people will watch it regardless.
    No. Personality and exclusivity drives video game media content.

There are streams and YT with excellent gameplay demonstration, none or poor commentary that have at best a hundred views. There are streams and YTs where the host is literally reading patch notes or discussing their birthday plans that have thousands of viewers.

Youtube and streaming are entirely personality driven. The games are irrelevant- sometimes big personalities even create fake or silly nonexistent game titles to stream or post under with thousands of viewers nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No. Personality and exclusivity drives video game media content.

There are streams and YT with excellent gameplay demonstration, none or poor commentary that have at best a hundred views. There are streams and YTs where the host is literally reading patch notes or discussing their birthday plans that have thousands of viewers.

Youtube and streaming are entirely personality driven. The games are irrelevant- sometimes big personalities even create fake or silly nonexistent game titles to stream or post under with thousands of viewers nonetheless.
    Streaming and youtube videos aren't the same thing from neither a creator or a consumer point of view and shouldn't be seen as such.

With that out of the way, perhaps I didn't put enough emphasis on what quality content means. It isn't some average joe uploading pretty standard gameplay without anything special to it, its things like speed runs, high ranking ladder play and the likes of it. If the player do not have something displaying extreme skill and no commentary, their screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Streaming and youtube videos aren't the same thing from neither a creator or a consumer point of view and shouldn't be seen as such.
    I specifically said streams and youtube as to be inclusive of both forms of new media broadcasting.

With that out of the way, perhaps I didn't put enough emphasis on what quality content means. It isn't some average joe uploading pretty standard gameplay without anything special to it, its things like speed runs, high ranking ladder play and the likes of it. If the player do not have something displaying extreme skill and no commentary, their screwed.
    I partially agree with you here, however.