Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    London, paris and amsterdam are all " must visit " places in europe. Aachen isnt. And its a detour from paris to amsterdam. Instead stop in either brussels of antwerp. Have a good belgian beer and a waffle with cream. And steamed mussels.. Mmm mussels. (The shellfish kind... The other kind u can experience in amsterdams red light district, but we'll get to that later...)

From antwerp to amsterdam I'd suggest driving along the Delta Works (wich are huge stormsurge-walls that protect a third of the netherlands against flooding).. Or if your into windmills visit "kinderdijk" wich has one of the best preserved dutch irrigation mill systems of all).

In amsterdam I would skip Madamme Tusseauds.. Its a ripoff. Also skip the amsterdam Dungeon.. Also a ripoff.
    If your into curture the the Rijksmuseum is a must see.
    But offcourse as american you want to have a bit of the green... Enjoy it, but as mentioned earlier, have a pal looking after you. never buy anything narcotics wise on the streets. (There's been word that some are selling heroin as coke.. Also lookout for other pills etc.)

And finally... Yes.. Offcourse you need to visit the red light district. Use all the "facilities" if you desire.. But be safe while doing so :-)

(Ps: dont go arround " omg'ing" everything u see... Most europeans like, but frown at americans. We tend to find them too loud and arrogant. Be respectfull in europe and you will be treated as a welcome guest!

Deleted
    I would recommend not to visit only big cities. They are very much alike around the world anyway. Drive to the country and look for some old castles and stuff like that. That's something you won't find in the americas.
    But I guess traveling these days is like some kind of achievement list, rather than enjoyment.

Deleted
    Eat some herring in Amsterdam. It's really good.

Deleted
    In Amsterdam, don't be fooled by their perdy pancake/waffel weird shit, it's heavy as concrete and pretty much tastes the same. I know your munchies will tell you they're awesome, but in the light of day truth shall be revealed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hug View Post
    In Amsterdam, don't be fooled by their perdy pancake/waffel weird shit, it's heavy as concrete and pretty much tastes the same. I know your munchies will tell you they're awesome, but in the light of day truth shall be revealed.
    You hating on stroopwafels bitch? Looking for a fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Mushrooms are generally sold in growshops, taste terrible and are hallucinogenic, not something i would recommend doing when on a holiday in a crowded place in a strange country unless you're into one hell of an adventure.

As for weed yes don't buy the expensive ones they are enhanced (grown with extra products), i stopped smoking 10 years ago and if i dare to just take a few puffs of that stuff i'm done for the evening. If you're not a regular smoker don't over do it.

As for weed in pastry can be they are too expensive for what they are, it's also a different high. It comes up slower and lasts longer so the chance that you'll eat a bit more then you can handle is greater then with smoking.
    Starting to understand why your posts in other threads are they way they are. Enlightening...

OP, my advice is expect to be underwhelmed by the typical tourist traps (Eiffel Tower, Venice, Picadilly, Athens) , and enthralled by the under-appreciated cities and sites (Vienna, Lisbon, Ardennes).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Starting to understand why your posts in other threads are they way they are. Enlightening...

OP, my advice is expect to be underwhelmed by the typical tourist traps (Eiffel Tower, Venice, Picadilly, Athens) , and enthralled by the under-appreciated cities and sites (Vienna, Lisbon, Ardennes).
    Ah a personal attack since you hold a grudge. Think of me what you want it's not that i valued your opinion much to begin with. However sadly for you it seems i won't be giving you that much more attention on that topic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Ah a personal attack since you hold a grudge. Think of me what you want it's not that i valued your opinion much to begin with. However sadly for you it seems i won't be giving you that much more attention on that topic
    I hold no grudge. It's merely enlightening to see the lens through which you derive your reality. It gives insight to why you think what you do in other threads.

Back on topic... OP, I forgot to mention to be mindful of what country you're in. Europe has a long history with wildly different cultures over very short distances. Be mindful to respect those cultures and keep in mind their are many different mindsets even within countries.

Deleted
    OP if your going via Aachen (I approve btw, charlemagnes capital) You should go see Trier. Its the old roman capital on the Rhine and the Archbishop of Trier was an electoral Prince of the holy roman empire. Fantastic cathedral. Also Koln was mentioned and thats a good stop too. Everything else depends on how much time you have.

Edit for this link: http://www.trier-info.de/english/sights-in-trier

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has responded with tips and recommendations. It is highly appreciated!!
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo GPU: Sapphire Vega 64 w/ Morpheus cooler
    Mobo: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi ATX Ram: 4 x 16gb 3200 Gskill FlareX Case: Cosair Crystal 570X
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 850w SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Blue 500gb Mouse: Logitech G600

Not sure if anyone has said it, but don't tip unless you're going to a nice restaraunt or something. It's considered weird to tip anywhere else in most parts of EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixaler View Post
    So I'm finally getting a chance to get my southern ass out of the state's and to see a different part of the world. We are doing London, Paris and Amsterdam for sure, and considering driving from Paris to Amsterdam and stopping in Aachen. What recommendations do y'all have for a first timer? Think we are doing 2 days in London, 3 in Paris and 2 in Amsterdam with one day for the stop in Aachen.
    If you're going to Aachen on your route from Amsterdam to Paris or vice versa, i recommend you make a stop in Luxembourgh between Aachen and Paris in a small town called Vianden and visit the castle. It would also be another country (one of the smallest in Europe since it's roughly 51 miles long and 35 miles wide) to add to your list of countries visited. It's an awesome place to check out and if you plan it right, they have a little medieval fair in the castle's courtyard with local products, falconers and such:

According to Google Maps, it's about a 2 hour detour from Paris to Aachen and just under a 3 hour detour from Amsterdam to Paris (by car), but definately worth it imho. There are also several restaurants or hotels where you can have a decent lunch or dinner at the riverside with view on the castle if you're taking the trip in the spring/summer.
    Last edited by Mystrome; 2015-03-31 at 07:10 PM.

I'd get smashed in London, take a selfie on top of the Eiffeltower (if you even want to go that high, it's fucking scary i tell you) and get high in Amsterdam while traveling the river on boat.

Also this hate on France? Get out of here, loads of culture and nasty people to meet. Whats not to like?

while in big cities don't trust brown people.

also paris probably has the worst rudest people of the entire planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I just had to:
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.