[Build Help] Multiple use for pc....

Hello!

Just looking for a little feed back here... I had an idea of making a Plex Media Server to store all of my movies on.. that way I can hide the blu rays from the kids to keep them safe!

Then I got to thinking... which gets me in trouble. Why not make it a Plex server and a steam box. I wouldn't really be streaming anything from it if I am running a game, but it would be nice to do so if I can.

I then also tossed around the idea of hosting a very small minecraft server for my two boys to link onto, or if they had any friends to join. Nothing more than 3 or 4 people ever.

I had thrown together a few ideas, with intel core i5 and everything.. the cost was just getting a bit to out of hand. I'm looking to be very budget friendly with this, as it will be more so a toy than anything else.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Quiggley98/saved/NjGNnQ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($93.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: Sentey Gs-6008 Stealth Gaming Computer Case ($39.99)
    Total: $643.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 20:54 EDT-0400

I also tossed together....

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.78 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($197.92 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.49 @ Amazon)
    Total: $911.06
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 20:55 EDT-0400

With the first build, I could always start it at 8gigs of ram, drop it down another $60. But with the idea of hosting the MC server, I would rather have to much than not enough. Just looking to get a few more ideas I may have not considered....

But I'm open to all feed back, thank you for your time.

Do you already have a good gaming elsewhere in the house? if so, sticking to the 750Ti is a solid option - just HomeStream (via Steam) to your media rig/server.

AFAIK, PLEX isn't -that- demanding - 16GB of RAM seems a tad bit overkill. Hell, my NAS will set up as a PLEX server (and is very good at it, according to the reviews) so it cant be too hardcore. (NAS in question: http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-431-Pe...&keywords=qnap - just grabbed it for 209$ at Micro Center)

Im.. i dunno, Honestly i'd go with a fast Core i3 over that FX-6300. Ive seen pretty much zero good reviews of the thing.

Home Streaming via Steam is pretty solid - it manages to do so pretty well my Media Center - which is an older 2010 Mac Mini (Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 4GB of RAM, low-end laptop GeForce part of the era, 9400 i think?) that is barely supported. A fast i3 with a 750Ti should be able to handle 1080 streaming no issues.

You could also go mATX or mITX to keep the build svelte and home-theater-center worthy.

- - - Updated - - -

edit just saw the Minecraft Server hosting potential.

I'm not sure what kind of beef is needed for that (lots of CPU/threads? Lots of CPU on a single thread?, lots of RAM?) - not really my bag. If you need CPU muscle, particularly single thread, stay -away- from that FX-6300

With the Minecraft server, ram is generally the thing you want to make sure you have. Any modern CPU will do.... as long as your bandwith is fine as well (Which I have covered)

I did think about the core i3.... and I played around a bit with pcpartpicker... and came up with this.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($123.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($151.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $654.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 22:18 EDT-0400

Which, basically switches to the core i3, still keeps me with the beefy HD to store all of my movies on, still gets me a dedicated gpu, and still with the 16gig ram ( If it were not for mc server, I would just go with 8gig)

- - - Edit - - -

Actually, I'll have to keep looking for the mobo.. just saw that is only pci 3 2.0, and it tends to limit ram... which we just can't have any of that nonsense!

- - - Edit #2 - - -
    Swapped out the mobo...
    Last edited by Suntzu-Cenarius; 2015-03-31 at 02:18 AM.

Honestly, if you can afford it, i cant recommend that NAS enough (in addition to a computer) It has features ill never use (someone wrote a Minecraft server for it.. but since its topped out at 2GB of RAM and uses an ATOM CPU, im not sure itd be beefy enough) but for file and particularly media storage (thats what i use it for - i have all my TV shows/Movies digital as well) its amazeballs, and easy as hell to set up, and built-in or downloadable connectivity for PLEX, XBMC (or whtaever it is now), AppleTV, Chromecast,e tc) - AND you can set it up so you can access your files anywhere you have an internet connection, and itll re-encode the media and stream it in a browswer window if you need it to.

even has a built in torrent client if thats your thing.

My home setup is somewhat like what im imagine you're heading for (personal gaming PC, daily-driver/productivity machine (Mac Mini Server, i7/16GB of RAM), computer(s) for my wife, a media center (older repurposed Mac Mini). used to just use the Media Center Mini as a NAS with an attached USB 3 enclosure, but multiple people accessing it caused all sorts of issues (mostly bandwidth issues from the read/write speeds on the drive through USB3 despite theoretically not being able to be a problem)

The NAS has made that all a thing of the past, especially since it supports multiple connections for more throughput (it has 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports, and you can add WiFi-ac via a USB dongle as well, as it has 3 USB ports 1 2.0 and 2 3.0) - and it will use them all simultaenously.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2015-03-31 at 02:05 AM.

Plex would run on any of those builds without any problems for sure. I run an HTPC with Plex on an old AMD A6-3000something/4GB RAM and it can stream 30GB bluray rips to my television while simultaneously streaming something else just as big to my phone or tablet without any hiccups.

Deleted
    I remember Chazus had build a low end i3 minecraft server for himself and friend with 2x4gb of ram and commending it was running without problem. So i think the i3 and 2x4gb of ram should be enough. What i would change on your latest setup would be a better psu and case.
    A couple psu's i would consider:
    Antec EarthWatts Green 380W
    SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold

About the case. Get a case that has storage room. You can find small cases that can support 4-5hdds like the Fractal Design Node.