Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Is this a new thing? I've seen countless unisex bathrooms. Mostly in bars tho.
    Unisex and gender neutral are two vastly different things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatticus View Post
    Why? Isn't both of it just "whoever needs to use the restroom can just use this one"?

Quote Originally Posted by robomatticus View Post
    Pretty sure if the bathroom is unisex, any gender can use it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    So a transitioning trans woman (for example) should use the men's bathroom?
    Is there a penis? If yes, then male restroom, if no then female restroom.

I mean what is the argument here?
    The argument is simple. People need to stop confusing genders and sex.
    That Trans people might creep on women?
    Actually, by giving bathrooms a gender preference that is exactly what people are saying. I say do not give bathrooms a gender preference.
    Should we ban gay and bisexual people from bathrooms as well then?
    Personal sexual preference is not part of this debate. Gay/Bisexual just go to their bathroom assigned by their appropriate sex.
    And what makes you think a potential molester would be stopped by a simple sign?
    Nothing. Nothing stops molesters now and nothing will stop them in the future.
    Or is it simply that trans people make you uncomfortable?
    My comfort has nothing to do with this. If people stop confusing sex and gender we might actually get a real solution.
    In which case why on earth is your comfort more important than the comfort of the trans* person, who risks being insulted, beaten up, or worse every time they go to a public restroom (and especially if they go to one which doesn't match the gender they are presenting as.)?
    Nobody's comfort should be a concern in this debate. Mine or theirs.

BTW, this affects changing rooms not just bathrooms. All are sex appropriate, and should not deal with gender. If you are worried that some gender is going to feel uncomfortable, then one should promote a unisex bathroom/changing room/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mmouser View Post
    If that "guy" doesnt have a penis, then yes that female can be in the female restroom.

Woman/man are genders and do not apply to restrooms.
    Why are you so worried about a penis in the lady's restroom? A transwoman's penis barely works for anything more than a pee dispenser in most cases due to hormones. People do not go around looking at each other's genitals in a bathroom, so I really don't understand this fear. Are you assuming trans people are just perverts that are going to show their genitals to people in bathrooms or something?

Deleted
    Like people already said, this is not how it works in reality. Especially (but not exclusively) if you look clearly male/female, there is absolutely no reason to not use the (wo)men's restroom, depending on which you are transitioning to - since people will notice your overall appearance but not your genitals. Women's restrooms only have stalls anyway, and Transmen usually will not try to use Urinals.
    The guy on the picture, for example, could not ever go into a women's restroom without drawing a lot of attention to him.

Anyway. It is best to not even debate about it IRL. Go in there, do your business and leave.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2015-04-12 at 06:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Won't this just bring more attention to people that don't want it? If you're transgender, just go into the bathroom as the gender you changed to.
    I pretty much go by this. Why should I care for laws. Sucks for non passing people tho :/

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    Why are you so worried about a penis in the lady's restroom? A transwoman's penis barely works for anything more than a pee dispenser in most cases due to hormones. People do not go around looking at each other's genitals in a bathroom, so I really don't understand this fear. Are you assuming trans people are just perverts that are going to show their genitals to people in bathrooms or something?
    Why are you associating fear to this?

Deleted
    So again, no concern for the reaction to the trans woman in the men's bathroom, or a trans man in the woman's? If a trans person pretty much looks like their gender identity it's going to be far easier for everyone if they go to the bathroom they identify with. Hopefully most of the time people don't even notice.

The argument is simple. People need to stop confusing genders and sex.
    No one is confusing the two. Why are you so adamant that bathrooms should have nothing to do with gender, when the gender presentation is going to be far more obvious than people's genitals. You're not going to see anyone's genitals in the bathroom.

Actually, by giving bathrooms a gender preference that is exactly what people are saying. I say do not give bathrooms a gender preference.
    And where is your evidence for this? Is there even one recorded instance of a trans person assaulting someone in a public bathroom?

Personal sexual preference is not part of this debate. Gay/Bisexual just go to their bathroom assigned by their appropriate sex.
    If you're talking about the potential for sexual assault then yes, it is part of the debate. If you're worried about trans people creeping on people in the bathroom because they still have penises (or vaginas), why are you not concerned about gay people creeping on members of the same sex, when they use the public restrooms? You should be concerned with neither but to only be concerned over one is hypocritical and demonstrates the irrationality of your view.

Nothing. Nothing stops molesters now and nothing will stop them in the future.
    That's my point. If someone is going to molest someone, putting up a sign saying they can't go into that bathroom will not stop them. Ordinary citizens are not a concern here.

My comfort has nothing to do with this. If people stop confusing sex and gender we might actually get a real solution.

Nobody's comfort should be a concern in this debate. Mine or theirs.
    I think it's quite obvious that you're feeling uncomfortable over the idea.

BTW, this affects changing rooms not just bathrooms. All are sex appropriate, and should not deal with gender. If you are worried that some gender is going to feel uncomfortable, then one should promote a unisex bathroom/changing room/etc.
    I do promote those as an option. If you support fully unisex bath/changing rooms, what is your problem with people choosing the rest room suited to their gender identity?

These bathrooms can be useful to more than just transgender people. Parents with children to young to go to the bathroom alone, but old enough to be uncomfortable in the wrong bathroom, may prefer taking their child to a private unisex bathroom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    There are reasons why men and women don't share the same restroom at the same time.
    Yeah, if you're a fucking child. Most adults can handle that sort of thing. The stalls are still private, girls just have to get used to seeing the backs of guys peeing, if there are even urinals in them. I've seen a co-ed bathroom before, it just had a bunch of stalls in it.

OMG you might hear someone of the opposite sex doing something nature intended! Oh the humanity! Grow the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I do promote those as an option. If you support fully unisex bath/changing rooms, what is your problem with people choosing the rest room suited to their gender identity?
    My problem is quite simple. Words have meaning and letting someone choose a restroom associated with their gender identity is silly since gender is not related to bathrooms. Restrooms are male/female/family/unisex. None of those labels have to do with gender. As I have stated, I am not worried about molestation since that happens regardless of labels. I am not uncomfortable with a trans-whatever standing at a urinal and taking a piss.

If you're talking about the potential for sexual assault then yes, it is part of the debate. If you're worried about trans people creeping on people in the bathroom because they still have penises (or vaginas), why are you not concerned about gay people creeping on members of the same sex, when they use the public restrooms? You should be concerned with neither but to only be concerned over one is hypocritical and demonstrates the irrationality of your view.
    Creeps are creeps regardless of sexual preference/gender identity. Again, I do not care about either I only care about word choice. Once people use the correct terms then people can have a debate. Until then the waters will stay muddied and the debate will go nowhere except for the standard feces slinging that happens in most "debates" on tv/internet.

Deleted
    My problem is quite simple. Words have meaning and letting someone choose a restroom associated with their gender identity is silly since gender is not related to bathrooms. Restrooms are male/female/family/unisex. None of those labels have to do with gender. As I have stated, I am not worried about molestation since that happens regardless of labels. I am not uncomfortable with a trans-whatever standing at a urinal and taking a piss.
    Why are you repeating this mantra that bathrooms have nothing to do with gender? Tell that to the transgender people who are insulted and/or beaten for not passing sufficiently when they use public restrooms.

Deleted
    Why are you repeating this mantra that bathrooms have nothing to do with gender? Tell that to the transgender people who are insulted and/or beaten for not passing sufficiently when they use public restrooms.
    They didnt go in the restroom consistent with their sex then.

I think the "woman" on the right has an erection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    They will encounter violence and harassment in the restroom "consistent with their sex" as well. In the case of MtF probably even more so, women tend to be quite a bit more tolerant in this regard.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2015-04-12 at 08:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    They will encounter violence and harassment in the restroom "consistent with their sex" as well. In the case of MtF probably even more so.
    Well then you dont need new restrooms for a small fringegroup.

There are fitting restrooms they can use them we are not talking about physical barriers like in the case of people with handycaps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    And if they do go in the restroom consistent with their sex they will draw a lot more attention and ergo be far more likely to be harassed. If you can't see the issue then I don't know what to tell you. Are you okay with innocent people being harassed due to their choice of restroom?

And if they do go in the restroom consistent with their sex they will draw a lot more attention and ergo be far more likely to be harassed. If you can't see the issue then I don't know what to tell you. Are you okay with innocent people being harassed due to their choice of restroom?
    well obviously it's not harassment unless you're a normal person just wanting to use the bathroom and can't due to seeing the minorities being pandered to.

Deleted
    Are you okay with innocent people being harassed due to their choice of restroom?
    Restrooms cant change anything about the harrasment problem.