I've been thinking about this for a while and since they pushed the Nintendo Switch 2 to 2025 for a bigger launch lineup is leading me to believe that it may not be backwards compatible, because if it was they would lean on the fact that there's already thousands of games you can play day one and it is kind of fishy.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2024-03-04 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a while and since they pushed the Nintendo Switch 2 2025 for a bigger launch lineup is leading me to believe that it may not be backwards compatible, because if it was they would lean on the fact that there's already thousands of games you can play day one and it is kind of fishy.
    Even if it is backwards compatible they'd still want exclusives to market to new customers. Only a niche audience will buy a console just because it's more powerful and plays old games better. Everyone else would just get the older cheaper console.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Even if it is backwards compatible they'd still want exclusives to market to new customers. Only a niche audience will buy a console just because it's more powerful and plays old games better. Everyone else would just get the older cheaper console.
    Maybe, but every console that was BC they made it known very early on. Not to mention MIG Switch not needing any modifications to hardware may have left them no choice but to change the shape and function of the cart slot.

Maybe, but every console that was BC they made it known very early on. Not to mention MIG Switch not needing any modifications to hardware may have left them no choice but to change the shape and function of the cart slot.
    It hasn't even been officially announced yet. Everything we know is based off of rumors. Nintendo has yet to do any marketing for it.

Maybe, but every console that was BC they made it known very early on.
    The system isn't even announced yet so how in the fuck would they announce BC for it?

Shit is gonna be BC, every Nintendo system that didn't have a good reason not to be had BC with at least it's previous gen. It will be a 3DS type situation with the carts so they will be mostly the same but have some extra protruding feature that makes them impossible to fit in original Switch.

Also your conspiracy theory completely falls apart anyways when wondering why Nintendo wants a strong exclusive lineup to launch a console with. Did you completely forget people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games? Exclusives are vital to the success.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2024-03-04 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The system isn't even announced yet so how in the fuck would they announce BC for it?
    Because even the investors aren't being told and it is greatly effecting their stock prices. They are not happy with the big N.

Because even the investors aren't being told and it is greatly effecting their stock prices. They are not happy with the big N.
    Please show me where Nintendo told investors the 3DS and Wii U would be BC BEFORE the consoles where even announced.

Old news, but never posted it on here, looks like unofficial Switch 2 timeframe is most likely 2025 and not this year:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...0the%20console.

This isn't actually a delay because they never announced it. I can't be arsed to look it up right now, but I could have sworn Furukawa mentioned last year that they wanted to try to take a swing at scalpers by having a large launch supply. I'd guess this "delay" would be so they could build stock OR maybe they know something about the market this year they are looking to avoid...or maybe they just want to insure that Switch becomes the highest selling game console of all time. I'm not saying I don't believe the "software" excuse for the "delay" I'm 100% sure that is true(maybe the 3d mario they will launch(just a guess) with isn't going to be ready yet), but honestly I think Nintendo is going to make a bunch of these ready for launch too(maybe because of the 3D Mario not being ready in 2024), we shall see.

Just guessing and have been wrong many times about this before, but new guess is: I think Switch 2 will have ips/lcd panel, I think it will be fully BC with upgrades in some cases, I think they will have a large supply ready at launch in 2025, and I think it will launch with a new 3D mario game.

I'm okay with waiting, actually.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be BC, imho, announcement this year imho. Can't be sure about ANYTHING Nintendo unless we hear it from Nintendo though, but I'm not worried(knock on wood, haha) I'm fairly sure that even if they had NEVER done BC, this one would be BC anyway. It's too big, and they would leave too much on the table not making it BC.

The model this gen allowed Nintendo to re-release all Wii u games on Switch and sell them as new. People wonder how this will work if they make the console BC, but those people miss the obvious.

When Switch 2 comes out, they will rerelease all of the "next gen" games like they did the Wiiu games. Like Armored Core 6, Elden Ring, ect, will be releasing on Switch 2 like they were new games, maybe even with upgrades. They need to get the user base up on the new console quickly and they can seamlessly move to selling those big current gen games on Switch 2, so slowing down the initial growth so they can resell Wii u games again isn't the way they will handle this imo. They can cherrypick the games they want.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2024-03-04 at 08:52 PM.

I mean there's some educated guesses that can be made based off of Pokemon Legends Z-A.

Either the new switch is gonna have to be backwards compatible, or it's going to be coming out later next year, coz the third option would be game freak making two versions of the game for the different consoles which I can't imagine ever happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean there's some educated guesses that can be made based off of Pokemon Legends Z-A.

Either the new switch is gonna have to be backwards compatible, or it's going to be coming out later next year, coz the third option would be game freak making two versions of the game for the different consoles which I can't imagine ever happening.
    Hmm, interesting, I hadn't considered that. To the Batcave to formulate!

There is also the possibility that digital is BC only.

There is also the possibility that digital is BC only.
    There is ZERO chance they make digital BC and not physical.

The next switch will be BC.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I mean people said this about sun and moon i dont think what gamefreak does has much to do with whether or not the new switch is bc.

although i feel like nintendo has always tried to have backwards compatibility when possible
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    I mean people said this about sun and moon i dont think what gamefreak does has much to do with whether or not the new switch is bc.

although i feel like nintendo has always tried to have backwards compatibility when possible
    Sun and Moon released before Switch.

Ultra Sun and Moon being same generation remakes on 3DS instead of (even an only a slightly upgraded) Switch port after Switch launched is what got people salty.

Game Freak never adopts the new platform during its first year. Z-A is already being marketed as Switch game, so best we can hope for is that on Switch 2 it runs better, but I wouldn't expect any great enhancements nor a fully separate Switch 2 version.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2024-03-05 at 03:53 PM.

I want to mention 2 things.

1. I thought the Mario Kart expanded courses were only for the "expansion pack" subscription service, but you can also buy them separately for a 1 time fee(for like 25 or 30 dollars can't remember). This includes a series of all new cups(4 courses each) and vastly increases the amount of levels available to use in the game. Furthermore, the new levels are far better than the original levels. Effectively this is a better sequel built on the same engine. Mario Kart is the best game on the Switch and this vastly increases the content and increases the quality. The sub service put me off but I realize now that it probably did you too. Don't let it becuase you do not have to buy a subscription to buy the expansion courses. Buy this shit if you like Mario Kart AT ALL because you are missing out these boards are incredible. The listing even makes it hard to separate the one time purchase option, but if you figure it out and buy it it is the best money I spent on Switch. The Waluigi level is such a triumph it made me cry.

2. This Octopath Traveler 2 is apparently much better than the first game and a must play. Is that right? I think you can buy the PS4 version for cheap and get a free ps5 upgrade, but this is kinda a switch focused game to me, so should I buy it? Seems to have developed a cult following and seems to be far better than metadata suggests based on word of mouth.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2024-04-22 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I want to mention 2 things.

1. I thought the Mario Kart expanded courses were only for the "expansion pack" subscription service, but you can also buy them separately for a 1 time fee(for like 25 or 30 dollars can't remember). This includes a series of all new cups(4 courses each) and vastly increases the amount of levels available to use in the game. Furthermore, the new levels are far better than the original levels. Effectively this is a better sequel built on the same engine. Mario Kart is the best game on the Switch and this vastly increases the content and increases the quality. The sub service put me off but I realize now that it probably did you too. Don't let it becuase you do not have to buy a subscription to buy the expansion courses. Buy this shit if you like Mario Kart AT ALL because you are missing out these boards are incredible. The listing even makes it hard to separate the one time purchase option, but if you figure it out and buy it it is the best money I spent on Switch. The Waluigi level is such a triumph it made me cry.

2. This Octopath Traveler 2 is apparently much better than the first game and a must play. Is that right? I think you can buy the PS4 version for cheap and get a free ps5 upgrade, but this is kinda a switch focused game to me, so should I buy it? Seems to have developed a cult following and seems to be far better than metadata suggests based on word of mouth.
    Bouth 1 and 2 are good. But you can get 2 of pc this days. 1.st game has more powercreep units, but worse Ui, while second 2 is more balanced.
    In 1.st game all characters are sidecharacters and the main character kinda runs in background with story (wich unlocks final superboss).
    Second game however all characters connect the story at end to main boss. (while the superboss from 1.st game is extra fucking hard)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Bouth 1 and 2 are good. But you can get 2 of pc this days. 1.st game has more powercreep units, but worse Ui, while second 2 is more balanced.
    In 1.st game all characters are sidecharacters and the main character kinda runs in background with story (wich unlocks final superboss).
    Second game however all characters connect the story at end to main boss. (while the superboss from 1.st game is extra fucking hard)
    Great info, thank you.

I wonder which I should get first, Granblue Fantasy: Relink or Octopath Traveler 2. I'm hoping to buy both eventually. Both on my radar for about the same money and to scratch the same itch.....tough decisions!!!