Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post

It's possible the concept was there. The presentation was very different, however. My bet is stuff changed /wink.
    Okay tin foil hat.

Game that only ever got 30% complete.

Game got scrapped because it was too expensive to make for such a niche game, and taking too long.

Exact same game gets made in sprites on a much lower budget years later for GBA.

It's the same game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Mother_3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    And in come the people saying Nintendo is being cheap.
    The Switch just got outsold by the PS4 in NA for May.

2 months into a new console launch and it's already getting beat by the PS4 thanks to Nintendo not supplying it.

The PS4 had no special offers, no major launches. June is going to be a bloodbath at this rate, I predict both the XB1 and PS4 outsell it for June with the market price wars going on.

Nintendo has to increase production or they're going to turn a success into a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Game got scrapped because it was too expensive to make for such a niche game, and taking too long.
    It apparently is such a niche game that retro stores in my area can't keep Earthbound in stock. Of 4 stores in an hours radius, one had a copy in the past year and it sold the same day. Niche game. Teehee.

When stores offer $160 cash for a game they can only resell for $180-$200, something is .. less than niche.

And Nintendo puts it on their back burner, yet again. All I'm sayin'. I guess they may as well have a limited run, like the NES Classic mini. It would only be fitting to add more nails to the coffin of Ness (add Goemon don't forget).
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-06-20 at 04:32 AM.

It apparently is such a niche game that retro stores in my area can't keep Earthbound in stock. Of 4 stores in an hours radius, one had a copy in the past year and it sold the same day. Niche game. Teehee.

When stores offer $160 cash for a game they can only resell for $180-$200, something is .. less than niche.

And Nintendo puts it on their back burner, yet again. All I'm sayin'. I guess they may as well have a limited run, like the NES Classic mini. It would only be fitting to add more nails to the coffin of Ness (add Goemon don't forget).
    The fact it's a niche game is the reason it's value is so high... and it's so rare... You realize this right?

Along with the fact that most retro games only climb in price there where only so many actually made and sold. It never even broke 1 mil globally, that's about as niche as you can get for a game published by Nintendo.

Also since when has the mother series ever NOT been on the back burner at Nintendo? Nothing has changed, stop listening to Laura Kate Fail.

The fact it's a niche game is the reason it's value is so high... and it's so rare... You realize this right?

Along with the fact that most retro games only climb in price there where only so many actually made and sold. It never even broke 1 mil globally, that's about as niche as you can get for a game published by Nintendo.

Also since when has the mother series ever NOT been on the back burner at Nintendo? Nothing has changed, stop listening to Laura Kate Fail.
    Earthbound is not rare because of low print :P

It's rare because people choose to not sell their copy.

Mother is not on Nintendo's back burner in Japan, btw.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-06-20 at 04:47 AM.

Earthbound is not rare because of low print :P

It's rare because people choose to not sell their copy.

In the US yes one of the main reasons Earthbound cost so much is due to low print, Also the game is old as fuck so finding one in decent shape can be hard to do.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

There are plenty of low print games. Only some got the Million Seller special box with the star in the corner. Very few sold million+ in comparison to the 700+ game library on the SNES.

Low print doesn't imply high price however .. only in extreme cases of rarity or popularity. Hagane is rare. Earthbound is not rare, in the scheme of things. Other factors are at work with regards to Earthbound. I'd contend the X factor is popularity, in a game dubbed as niche.

Bottom line is I hope Nintendo doesn't drop the ball (again).
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-06-20 at 04:55 AM.

No new games in the series in 14 years and it's not on the back burner?

Sure thing.

No new games in the series in 14 years and it's not on the back burner?

Sure thing.
    I count 11 years, and Mother 3 is going to be released in Japan first anyways. So NA / EU is on the back burner.

Unless Nintendo scraps it, again.

I count 11 years, and Mother 3 is going to be released in Japan first anyways. So NA / EU is on the back burner.
    The earthbound series isn't on the back burner, Its in the freezer and isn't getting thawed out anytime soon.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

im surprised nintendo hasnt done anything with ness or iceclimbers since their smash debuts. theres certainly enough fans of smash who would buy it out of curiosity like fire emblem and kid icarus

wouldnt even need to be the same genre granted thats almost entirely the only option for iceclimbers just like kid icarus.

id like to see duck hunt too, maybe make him part of the mushroom kingdom
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Unless Nintendo scraps it, again.
    Oh yea, you're right I forgot they took 3 fucking years to make mother 3 after announcing it again.

Mother 3 was already released in Japan, 11 years ago. Franchise has been dead since, someone should probably be sent to the morgue to do an autopsy at this point. Back Burner doesn't even do it justice for how little Nintendo gives a fuck about the franchise.

Okay tin foil hat.

Game that only ever got 30% complete.

Exact same game gets made in sprites on a much lower budget years later for GBA.

It's the same game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Mother_3

- - - Updated - - -

The Switch just got outsold by the PS4 in NA for May.

2 months into a new console launch and it's already getting beat by the PS4 thanks to Nintendo not supplying it.

The PS4 had no special offers, no major launches. June is going to be a bloodbath at this rate, I predict both the XB1 and PS4 outsell it for June with the market price wars going on.

Nintendo has to increase production or they're going to turn a success into a failure.
    Do you seriously still think Nintendo is holing back countless units? Because it clealy isn't what is happening, we already know that Nintendo is competing with Apple for parts and Apple is in full production on the Iphone 8

Nintendo is literally supplying the best they can, are they holding probably a certain amount for specified game releases? Sure but if they just sent them out willy nilly no one could get one when a Switch game does come out that people want like ARMS or Splatoon 2.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post

Nintendo is literally supplying the best they can
    Keep drinking that kool aid. Numbers speak for themselves, done with this debate.

Keep drinking that kool aid. Numbers speak for themselves, done with this debate.
    Guessing you literally ignore all the reports of them competing with Apple, a company that no one would turn down for Nintendo.

Oh, I guess your conspiracy theory holds more weight though.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Guessing you literally ignore all the reports of them competing with Apple, a company that no one would turn down for Nintendo.

Oh, I guess your conspiracy theory holds more weight though.
    Yes, because no one else manages to make 10s of millions of products while competing with Apple for parts right

How does poor companies like Samsung manage to sell 10+ million units in single months when big bad Apple is stealing all the parts in the world?

The reality is Nintendo is bargain hunting and not wanting to pay current market price for the parts. There isn't a shortage, there is just competition.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-06-20 at 06:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, because no one else manages to make 10s of millions of products while competing with Apple for parts right

How does poor companies like Samsung manage to sell 10+ million units in single months when big bad Apple is stealing all the parts in the world?

The reality is Nintendo is bargain hunting and not wanting to pay current market price for the parts. There isn't a shortage, there is just competition.
    Apple can afford to pay high prices for the parts. They will phones for close to 1000 dollars and make at least double profit per unit.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2017-06-20 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Apple can afford to pay high prices for the parts. They will phones for close to 1000 dollars and make at least double profit per unit.
    Nintendo can afford to pay high prices for parts. They're selling gang busters of $60 games that are made on fractions of budgets that most AAA games are. In the case of ARMS possibly even an damn indy budget looking at the lack of content in that game.

If the Switches go a tad over cost to produce, they're still turning a profit when the person buys ONE SINGLE GAME for the platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo are cheaping out. They pay more, they get more. If it means selling the switch at a loss then fine, you're going to shift games anyways.

Mario Odessey's E3 demo runs at 720p 60 fps docked. Wonder if they will bump it up to 1080p like they did with Splatoon for the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Mario Odessey's E3 demo runs at 720p 60 fps docked. Wonder if they will bump it up to 1080p like they did with Splatoon for the final product.
    They could, but I find it unlikely.