Thread: WoW2 or not?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW2 or not?

I want to know what you guys think of a World of Warcraft 2.

Yes i am aware there is nothing wrong in adding expansion packs and tweaking here and there, however most people complain that the game is boring and there is nothing to do. When i think about it the game is not boring and lacking content, there is plenty of content out there, however its the fact that many people have been playing WoW for a substantial amount of time and the game becomes stale like does everything in life. Adding new expansion packs does bring new life into the game, but how about something much different. The transition from warcraft to WoW was phenomenal and it introduced a whole new game and style that differed greatly from original warcraft. So how about a WoW2 that spices things up a little bit, because lately i find myself casting the same spells, doing the same thing when questing(not the quests but the combat and running here and there). Would it not be nice to start fresh, because now with the level cap constantly increasing and much of them game becoming stale a new look and style of the game could indeed bump up subs. Or maybe not.

I feel if new player were to play the game they would love it, but veterans would get bored easily because its repetitive and they've seen it all before.

With out question "not."
    No point spending money revamping graphics.
    Honestly, what else would happen that would be worth starting over for?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Not necessarily graphics. GW1-->GW2. Though gw2 lacked endgame content, the combat system was fun and unique. Keeping this same combat and style of the game for wow i feel will slowly kill off players.

What exactly would be new in WoW2? I imagine we'd have the same classes with same or similar abilities, the same world with the same landscapes and locations, the same playable and non playable races with a familiar Blizzard artsyle.

Unless WoW became a FPS I don't really see anything new or groundbreaking ever coming from a WoW2.

WoW2 could be awesome if done properly. It would have to be very different from WoW (or any other WoW-clone) for it to really be successful. The current MMO style of gameplay has become stale. Need something fresh.

Similar classes sure, same abilities not so much. Maybe something happens with the Burning Legion and Azeroth changes completely which would result in a nice transition for WoW2. I feel WoD is a nice transition to a great chain of expansions regarding the Burning Legion and WoW2. There doesn't necessarily need to be the same playable races but im looking at more the game play aspect of a new game. New Combat Styles, a new way of progressing the story(cinematic, missions like gw1), new and exciting animations. Every expansion is starting to feel the same is it not? Run around kill some stuff, gather some stuff, an exciting quest here and there, next zone repeat. Most MMO's are the same and for Blizzard to really push forward into the MMO world, i think there needs to be some serious changes.
    Last edited by MahhKneeGrows; 2015-03-17 at 04:29 AM.

It would be the biggest waste of resources and time ever, they can't even balance wow atm and you want them to suddenly split the team or get a entire new crew in just to make a pretty wow v2.

blizz will just leave it's cash cow going till it destroys itself while milking HS and the new TF2 clone.

Deleted
    Never happen.

What true MMO has ever survived their sequel debut...? Can only think of a few that didn't flop within a year and those are dust in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post
    What exactly would be new in WoW2? I imagine we'd have the same classes with same or similar abilities, the same world with the same landscapes and locations, the same playable and non playable races with a familiar Blizzard artsyle.

Unless WoW became a FPS I don't really see anything new or groundbreaking ever coming from a WoW2.
    That's an Anchoring Bias. You assume that because it's what's presented to you. However Azeroth is technically just a pebble in the Warcraft Universe. lots of other lands and stories that could unfold. If anything, starting fresh might allow them the artistic freedom that the Warcraft games sort of blocked them from having in WoW. There are also a lot of unique classes out there that they already mention previously, on top of unique archetypes they don't really have tapped very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sojumonkey View Post
    Never happen.

What true MMO has ever survived their sequel debut...? Can only think of a few that didn't flop within a year and those are dust in the wind.
    GW2 still does just fine. It's not a "huge success", but it's successful as an MMO as long as WoW isn't your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post

I would make wow2. The main purpose would be to introduce new gold and squash levels. We would still play our mains, our levels would be 1 on the new world, and we would level as old. Old World gold and content would still exist new achievement tab versus the old one. New players would buy the old content seperately purely for achievement points but--here's the kicker--they would be level 1 in old world content whereas we would be level 120 (or watever).

So we'd still be on the same characters as day one but a whole new crowd could start over and not feel they were somehow behind. A level squish is needed in any case and that's really all this would be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeia View Post
    I would make wow2. The main purpose would be to introduce new gold and squash levels. We would still play our mains, our levels would be 1 on the new world, and we would level as old. Old World gold and content would still exist new achievement tab versus the old one. New players would buy the old content seperately purely for achievement points but--here's the kicker--they would be level 1 in old world content whereas we would be level 120 (or watever).

So we'd still be on the same characters as day one but a whole new crowd could start over and not feel they were somehow behind. A level squish is needed in any case and that's really all this would be.

You've probably just described in a weird and twisted way... exactly what they will do at some point in order to pull in fresh blood. I just don't ever see it being called WoW2 in any way shape for form. At least not with an old WoW1 connection like you describe. Honestly though who knows I mean WoW is such a cash cow that who the hell knows. I am sure they'd love a way to introduce massive amounts of content with half the size on the design teams, devs, programmers, and whatever else though...
    Last edited by mmocf2cb425476; 2015-03-17 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MahhKneeGrows View Post
    I want to know what you guys think of a World of Warcraft 2.

Yes i am aware there is nothing wrong in adding expansion packs and tweaking here and there, however most people complain that the game is boring and there is nothing to do. When i think about it the game is not boring and lacking content, there is plenty of content out there, however its the fact that many people have been playing WoW for a substantial amount of time and the game becomes stale like does everything in life.

I feel if new player were to play the game they would love it, but veterans would get bored easily because its repetitive and they've seen it all before.
    We already have WoW 6, or possibly more than 6, if you are just talking about technical implementation and/or core gameplay. I mean, active mitigation tanking is pretty solidly different from Cata era tanking, which was different from WotLK tanking, which differed from earlier versions of tanking -- as one example.

Your final statement is right: part of the problem is that people who have played for years are, simply, used to what the game can do. Not "WoW", or "WoD", but more or less "any MMO". There just isn't that much you can drop in without adding player vs player conflict that hasn't been done in any other MMO, and anything good there was also done in WoW because, well, Blizzard are masters of spotting good things and bringing them in, better than the original.

So, yeah: no content? There is as much content or more than MoP, which didn't have the same whining, but people feel differently this time. That is a people thing, not a technical thing -- and your solution is more or less a technical solution. (eg: new systems, now scenery, now graphics, etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    No point in WoW2..
    Engine/graphics can be updated any time Blizzard want to allocate the resources for it, no need to call it a new game.
    Story would have to be completely different; Thus new lore must be invented, screwing the whole game.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    No point in WoW2..
    Engine/graphics can be updated any time Blizzard want to allocate the resources for it, no need to call it a new game.
    Story would have to be completely different; Thus new lore must be invented, screwing the whole game.
    Agreed. Just update the engine slowly as they go along like the have. It is already pretty much a new engine comapred to what it was in classic.

Deleted
    however most people complain that the game is boring and there is nothing to do.
    I think you're dead wrong about that. Certainly not "most people". Not even "most people on MMO-Champion", which is like a miniscule offset of minority group (players who read forums) of the entire player base.

Also, no to WoW2, there's just no point.
    Updating the graphic engine is the only "new thing" that I'd see happening (and that's already happening), otherwise World of Warcraft 2, would be pretty much the same. I don't see what would change or how on earth that would be profitable at all?

I mean World of Warcraft2 - The Epic Fantasy First Person Shooter MMO for Xbox One?
    I don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    I think you're dead wrong about that. Certainly not "most people". Not even "most people on MMO-Champion", which is like a miniscule offset of minority group (players who read forums) of the entire player base.

Also, no to WoW2, there's just no point.
    Updating the graphic engine is the only "new thing" that I'd see happening (and that's already happening), otherwise World of Warcraft 2, would be pretty much the same. I don't see what would change or how on earth that would be profitable at all?

I mean World of Warcraft2 - The Epic Fantasy First Person Shooter MMO for Xbox One?
    I don't think so...
    Agreed. They wouldn't invest in the massive undertaking of a new game to only release the samething again. It isn't very Blizzard. Not very logically thought out business wise..

all in all doesn't make a lot of sense. It is to big of a cash cow right now WITHOUT doing that anyway.

The way i see the graphs of subs is every expansion brings players back, yet it drops significantly after a month or two when people realize "hey, this is the same game." Sure you can continue to release expansion packs and updating graphics, but the combat/pvp/questing will be the same. Talking about profitability, sure at launch of a WoW2 it may seem unprofitable but it was the same as WoW at initial launch. Over time it grows, and it will grow as opposed to this constant decline of subs. Sure its a cash cow now, but for how much longer? People are getting fed up with the game and more people are leaving than there are new players joining.

Blizzard implemented a buy level 90 system where anyone can literally skip over multiple expansions. Now what is the point of that? So they can get players to play the latter expansions. Well why do that when you can start fresh and have no need to skip over all the content and work they have done, and let all players enjoy content. For a new player im sure it is very overwhelming thinking, i cant get to the really good stuff until i get all the way to 100.

I feel theres a lot blizzard can fix for a WoW2. New lore doesnt necessarily need to be invented, just continue a year or so after some catastrophic event with guldan and the Burning Legion.

Blizzard makes good games, im sure we can all agree. Who is to say they cant pull off an amazing sequel to their very popular MMO?

10+ Year Old Account
    The way i see the graphs of subs is every expansion brings players back, yet it drops significantly after a month or two when people realize "hey, this is the same game." Sure you can continue to release expansion packs and updating graphics, but the combat/pvp/questing will be the same. Talking about profitability, sure at launch of a WoW2 it may seem unprofitable but it was the same as WoW at initial launch. Over time it grows, and it will grow as opposed to this constant decline of subs. Sure its a cash cow now, but for how much longer? People are getting fed up with the game and more people are leaving than there are new players joining.

Blizzard implemented a buy level 90 system where anyone can literally skip over multiple expansions. Now what is the point of that? So they can get players to play the latter expansions. Well why do that when you can start fresh and have no need to skip over all the content and work they have done, and let all players enjoy content. For a new player im sure it is very overwhelming thinking, i cant get to the really good stuff until i get all the way to 100.

I feel theres a lot blizzard can fix for a WoW2. New lore doesnt necessarily need to be invented, just continue a year or so after some catastrophic event with guldan and the Burning Legion.

Blizzard makes good games, im sure we can all agree. Who is to say they cant pull off an amazing sequel to their very popular MMO?
    Why cant WoW just go on and Blizz makes different games in the Warcraft universe eventually? WoW2 would either be the same beast with better graphics and the same gear treadmill and themepark mmo issues or a completely different game, in which case it might as well not be called WOW2 but something different. I wish we could have a mass effect style/Baldurs Gate style RPG in the Warcraft universe for example.

Some more feed back? Would like to here many peoples thoughts.

Not.

It would be pointless. No matter what they did it would not be seen as a 'new' game any more than expansions are seen that way. MMORPG's are built a certain way for a reason and anything that would be recognizable as an MMO would never be different enough. It wouldn't have classes that are much different than what we have now and the mage/warrior/priest archetypes that go all the way back to D&D would certainly need to be there. There isn't much in the way of combat archetypes that would change either. You can be close up and swing a sword/club/melee weapon or you can be at distance and shoot guns/arrows/spells.

The only thing that might work and be commercially worth developing would be a single-player game set in the Warcraft universe that would work something like Skyrim. It's unlikely that Blizzard will do this because they don't build single-player games any longer and haven't done so for a very long time. But graphically it would be a candidate for a really substantial upgrade.

The point of the level-90 system is to separate expansions into commercial games that stand on their own. Warlords is a standalone game for those who want to play it that way. It's a smart move on Blizzard's part and probable that all future expansions will work the same way. Jump into the expansion and explore the rest of the game at your leisure.