Deleted

slow cpu fan speed/stopped case fan cant work it out.....

Ok so over the last month or so ive noticed a few changes in my build, basically one of my front cpu case fans has stopped totally, everything seems connected and I cant work out the issue with it, have checked it reconnected it etc and no response....it doesn't cause an issue as the case has more then enough cooling anyway (another front fan that does work and 2 side fans intake wise and 1 rear and 1 large top fan exhaust wise) but ive also noticed as of late my cpu fan(s) are spinning very slow around 900-1000rpm Again this doesn't affect performance or temps as I went overboard with the heatsink and fan setup and my cpu never gets to hot even under full load. (I have a noctua aftermarket heatsink with duel fans cooling an i5 3570k https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...30&subcat=2346)

So its not really affecting my build performance wise but its nagging me as its obviously an underlying problem that could cause serious issues down the line.....could it be a bios problem? or a major problem with my motherboard itself?

Motherboard is an asus p8z77v http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PRO/

Oh and before anyone says anything my power supply which is an ocz zx series 1000w is more then beefy enough for what im running (gigabyte windforce oc hd 7970 graphics card with the above)

Could it be a voltage issue?

- - - Updated - - -

well now I feel stupid....Ive figured out why the cpu fan was reading/running so low....as I said I have 2 on my noctua heatsink, one input one output......one of them was plugged into the cpu fan header, the other was in the 12 volt power connector rather then the cpu opt header........since I changed that my fan is now seen to be running at 1300rpm under cpu q fan control on the motherboard, happy with that for a normal load fan speed.........even dumber I wondered why my usb 3.0 ports werent working.....umm maybe because it wasnt plugged into the board? lol....was I drunk when setting this up?

front fan is still not running through 1 of them anyway, connections seem fine....is it possible for a fan to wear out? it spins ok by hand so its not seized anything else possible to go wrong with the fan itself?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    front fan is still not running through 1 of them anyway, connections seem fine....is it possible for a fan to wear out? it spins ok by hand so its not seized anything else possible to go wrong with the fan itself?
    Plug the fan that isn't working into a working connector on the motherboard. If the fan starts working then it is the connector on the motherboard. If it doesn't spin up then it is just a dead fan. Entirely possible for new fans to arrive dead.