Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You mean aside from the fact IMDB shows the actors as the characters Sue and Johnny Storm, and that something doesn't come together there?

"I'm johnny the human torch, and this is my sister Susan, the invisible woman, we're brother and sister, we have the same parents.. honest!"
    "Riiiiiight.."

Getting into this late and maybe someone told you already. But he is adopted in this storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I don't think you realize who these movies are trying to cater to.

Comic book fans are people who will scrutinize every single detail of every character down to the lines of Spiderman's suit. (And will have a fit if you miss one.) Movies of comic books are made to cater to these people. Change a detail, even one that does not in any way change the story or affect any of the characters in any way, shape, or form, and you've just made it so it is not the comic book they came to love. Yes, it's childish. Yes, it's rather silly. But it's how comic book fans have been since the beginning of comics everywhere.

They immerse themselves in the world that has been created for them. When that world changes, they get angry about it. People should realize this by now.
    Then who is the target audience and why isn't the Invisible Woman a Chinese man and Ben a bull dike? A black Torch is equally senseless.

- - - Updated - - -

Another reason equal opportunity is inappropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    To be honest, I was more WTF when they wanted to make Magneto black. Like an jewish man who survived Auschwitz was too white, or not enough of a minority.

Or making Thor female and spouting feminist bullshit mid comic.
    How would they rewrite the Auschwitz part of his past? Why is black the exclusive go to race?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I am sorry, I don't see any black person.... *stares at cleavage*
    Dude I'm straining to see nipples in her dress.

@OP

Can we see your outrage over the reboot of Green Lantern? Did you protest the DBZ movie? Are you going to arrange a hunger strike over scarlett johansson in GITS?
    You cared enough to post.

A character's ethnicity is a detail. It can be changed at will.
    Is that right? Nigerian Jean Grey, Chinese Storm, Mongolian Iron Man, Mexican Captain America and Pakistani Wolverine says hi.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Is that right? Nigerian Jean Grey, Chinese Storm, Mongolian Iron Man, Mexican Captain America and Pakistani Wolverine says hi.
    Someone never read Final Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sorry to reveal the truth to you, but you are, in fact, racist. You are actually insulted because of this non-impacting change? How is that not racist?

His race is absolutely not core to the story (there are some comic storylines where changing race or sex would absolutely be an issue...this is not one of them), and there are plenty of mixed race families out there. It doesn't diminish the story in the least.
    His biological relationship to Sue is a big part of the story and they had to re-establish facts for him.

Because they decided not to do it.

The target audience is the people interested in the comics. They are the audience most interested in seeing these kinds of movies. The people who are interested in the comics often spend a very LARGE amount of time learning and understanding the world designed through the comics, and when that world is changed even slightly it will upset people.
    They wouldn't purposely piss off their target audience.

Deleted
    This always grinds my gears, theres been two movies already. If your going to do another or re do it stick to the same acters as the first ones.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellicious View Post
    This always grinds my gears, theres been two movies already. If your going to do another or re do it stick to the same acters as the first ones.
    So you want Cap'n A to play Johnny Storm again?

Given how sony does marvel movies. My only gripe is that that cast seem to young imo.

Sorry to reveal the truth to you, but you are, in fact, racist. You are actually insulted because of this non-impacting change? How is that not racist?

His race is absolutely not core to the story (there are some comic storylines where changing race or sex would absolutely be an issue...this is not one of them), and there are plenty of mixed race families out there. It doesn't diminish the story in the least.
    If a White actress plays an Asian male character from Doctor Strange (Tilda Swinton) it's "White Washing" but if a black actor plays a white character it's a 'non-impacting change'? Sounds legit.

How about this, instead of taking the easy way out and changing the race of an already successful character to display how PC they are the makers of comics and movies actually put some effort into making new and successful characters who are minorities? Static Shock was a great show and a great character. There are a smattering of new muslim characters that are not derivative of an already established character. They didn't take Hal Jordan and just make him black to have a black guy on the Justice league they had John Stewart and he was the green lantern of the show. He was a major character all on his own without needing to absorb Hal Jordans identity of a fighter pilot.

The worst thing that happens from this would be that a young black kid goes and watches this movie, decides that Johnny Storm is his new hero because he can identify with him and then goes to a comic store to see his hero in action and finds out that his personal hero has for 60 years been a white guy.

I know it's the usual defence to fall back on to call people racist who are not okay with a character they spent 60 years enjoying having their race changed but the most simple way to put this is that is not the Johnny storm that I read since I was a kid. Miles Morales is fine and all but he's not my Peter Parker. He may be your spiderman but he's not my spiderman because I grew up with Peter Parker, I identified with Peter Parker, I watched him fight the sinister 6, watched him deal with Eddie Brock putting away Aunt Mays groceries and watched him get married. That's my Spiderman.

And lets not forget that this movie is god awful and having seen the movie I can tell you that they absolutely fail to make you believe that Johnny and Sue are family, someone who you would go to hell to help, there is no family feeling in this movie about Marvel's first family.

I really don't see how someone can scream out one face "White Washing" while screaming out the other, "Racist" just because they don't like the characters that they grew up with having their identities changed. Unless you are okay with Nicolas Cage as the Black Panther or Luke Cage then you don't have any right to call others racist.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2015-08-07 at 02:22 PM.

A white actress is going to take the part of Wong in doctor strange? Have feminists seen that? I can't believe they would be okay with a woman being the servant of a man.

- - - Updated - - -

And how do these filmmakers keep fucking up Doctor Doom? It's like the easiest Villain to do. Just have some accident that disfigures a genius from Latvia. He blames Reed Richards for it. He hides his disfigurement behind a mask and uses technology instead of the superpowers they use in the movies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    A white actress is going to take the part of Wong in doctor strange? Have feminists seen that? I can't believe they would be okay with a woman being the servant of a man.

- - - Updated - - -

And how do these filmmakers keep fucking up Doctor Doom? It's like the easiest Villain to do. Just have some accident that disfigures a genius from Latvia. He blames Reed Richards for it. He hides his disfigurement behind a mask and uses technology instead of the superpowers they use in the movies so far.
    Try and use google for once and educate yourself instead of just jumping to conclusions, she is playing the Anchient One.

Just OOC, would he still be racist if he equally opposed making Luke Cage, Black Panther, Storm, Bishop, or Blade(or outside of Marvel, John Stewart, Cyborg, or Mister Terrific) white characters?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Try and use google for once and educate yourself instead of just jumping to conclusions, she is playing the Anchient One.
    That is why my first sentence was a question.

I open up a comic book and look at human torch then look at the one in this movie.....no likeness. People want to see the characters brought to life so they should at least appear to look like their comic book version.

10+ Year Old Account

Very rarely does this guy give movies an F rating. I kind of knew it was going to be bad. I'll wait till it's online to watch and see how bad it is for myself.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post

Very rarely does this guy give movies an F rating. I kind of knew it was going to be bad. I'll wait till it's online to watch and see how bad it is for myself.
    About Director Josh Trank:

http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four...d-explanation/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-firing-792933

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    To be honest, I was more WTF when they wanted to make Magneto black. Like an jewish man who survived Auschwitz was too white, or not enough of a minority.
    Marvel didn't suggest that. It was some magazine. And it was interesting. You should read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    How would they rewrite the Auschwitz part of his past? Why is black the exclusive go to race?
    The idea presented was that since making Magneto a Holocaust survivor is getting less and less plausible, it might be interesting to change Magneto and Xavier to be black men who were involved in the Civil Rights Movement in the 60s.

I rather agreed that it might be neat. And Magneto being a Holocaust Survivor is gonna require him to have some longevity powers pretty soon.
    Last edited by Jetstream; 2015-08-08 at 01:07 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginantonicus View Post
    There is no elephant in the room. Most people don't care. So now one of them was adopted, problem solved.
    So when a half-Mexican takes on a white woman's role (Sue Storm), no worries. But a black man takes on a white man's role (Johnny Storm), 1/2 of the internet loses their mind.

Racist is as racist does. Deny until you are blue in the face, but self-introspection is called for at this point.