Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Easiest Time For a Newbie Raider and player (easiest role)

Hi I have recently started playing world of warcraft seriously, as before I just leveled a bit and gave up. I have now leveled a hunter to level 90 and I am about the start my adventure to level 100. My question is simply what role in a raid setting has the easiest time when performing their role in a raid? I am talking about ranged dps, healer, tank and melee dps unless there are more roles but from what I know their is not. I am planning on using a level 90 boost I got with my warlords of draenor and I am probably going to get to level 60 (I think) to get professions with my boost, is this still the way it goes? As a note I don't plan on playing my hunter.

So what role should I take in a raid if I want the easiest introduction into raiding?

Ranged dps. As long as your damage isn't terrible and you don't stand in shit 24/7 you can escape notice, learn and improve.

If the tank or healers are noobs or don't understand key aspects of a fight then its very obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Ranged dps. As long as your damage isn't terrible and you don't stand in shit 24/7 you can escape notice, learn and improve.

If the tank or healers are noobs or don't understand key aspects of a fight then its very obvious.
    That was the case in previous tiers, but T17 brought a whole bunch of mechanics (and combinations of said mechanics) that are unforgivable for any role.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    That was the case in previous tiers, but T17 brought a whole bunch of mechanics (and combinations of said mechanics) that are unforgivable for any role.
    Played a ranged dps class in a raid is trivial at best. Mythic level included.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post

I would have to say melee dps they usually get to slack on any mechanics.

Oregorger don't have to deal with shit on floor but have to deal with bomb
    blast furnace don't have to deal with melt or volatile explosion
    Beastlord, don't have to deal with spears
    maidens don't have to deal with penetrating shot
    Flamebender, don't have to deal with molten torrent, or fixate
    Kromog, don't have to deal with anything apart hands
    blackhand don't have to deal with siege engine.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Name some that make it harder for ranged in your opinion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    I would have to say melee dps they usually get to slack on any mechanics.

Oregorger don't have to deal with shit on floor but have to deal with bomb
    blast furnace don't have to deal with melt or volatile explosion
    Beastlord, don't have to deal with spears
    maidens don't have to deal with penetrating shot
    Flamebender, don't have to deal with molten torrent, or fixate
    Kromog, don't have to deal with anything apart hands
    blackhand don't have to deal with siege engine.
    Meh, works both ways.

Oregorger range dont have to worry about interupts or getting stunned from crystal
    Blast range dont have to worry about slags blowing up whilst nuking elementalists and interupts on foreman/firecallers
    Beast , range dont have to worry about stacking on tank for rend , burning corpses of dogs / epicenter
    maidens , range can ignore blood ritual and ignore uinterupts on boat
    Kromog, range can ignore slam
    Blackhand . yea, melee have no issues here unless they are balcony duty, just avoid smash in phase 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by gazmanclown View Post
    Meh, works both ways.
    Blast range dont have to worry about slags blowing up whilst nuking elementalists and interupts on foreman/firecallers
    maidens , range can ignore blood ritual and ignore uinterupts on boat
    Kromog, range can ignore slam
    What?
    Furnace - people stack up to make use of AoE healing anyway, dodging / not getting hit by slag is the same for melee & ranged. Not to mention, even in progression, getting hit by one slag explosion doesn't really come anywhere close to killing people unless they have Volatile (which melee don't get targeted by)
    Maidens - range have to interrupt just as melee, and I'm not sure what's the difference in dealing with Ritual. What do you mean by "range can ignore blood ritual"? Both range and melee deal with it the same way - spin to the right side away from the range / melee clump. In fact, melee don't need to stop DPS, while range do (during movement), but it's minor.
    Kromog - everyone who isn't a tank don't need to care about Slam. Unless you are using some weird strat that put melee next to tank or something. Melee even has their safe spot for Sonic Disc, range... not so.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2015-05-03 at 01:13 PM.

Deleted
    From what I gather its basically a dps specc? What are teh ups and downs of being a melee dps compared to ranged dps?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want to take a role simply because it is the easiest to learn? Why not take one that will make you a better player? If I were you (and I was at one point, many many years ago) I would learn to play a healer.
    It teaches you how to remain calm in stressful fights so that you don't make as many mistakes.
    It teaches you to how to prepare for mechanics, rather than react to them.
    Most importantly, it teaches you exactly how much more stress standing in shit puts on your raid, so you end up becoming more aware of your surroundings.

That's just me though.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most roles aren't that hard till you're doing difficult content. People will yell at tanks the most, so in a way it's the fastest way to improve, but not the easiest.

Hunter.
    You are wanted by every guild in the world, can do top damage on the move, and have multiple ways to survive deadly mechanics.

However, if you are unskilled, it will be noticed quickly. They are commonly considered the best damage in the game (along with arcane mage.)
    If you are doing really low dps after you gear up you may be shunned.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The easiest entry point to raiding is ranged DPS

This is coming from someone who's main always has and always will be a mage and most of my alts are also ranged DPS.

Hunter is also the easiest ranged DPS to learn on, all 3 of the specs are pretty forgiving for fuck ups and aren't terribly complex, excellent survivability and zero movement restrictions. There is a reason Hunters are the most played class; they are objectively the easiest class to play with VERY few drawbacks (Bad cleave really the only major one)

That being said the easiest entry point does not translate to the easiest role at the top end, DPS in general have higher skill caps than Healers and Tanks and ranged typically have to deal with more things than Melee DPS but to a beginner these aren't things to really be worrying about at this stage.

In conclusion: Play a Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

7+ Year Old Account
    the game isn't hard. Play what you want and have fun with it. If you're doing something you don't enjoy you'll burn out much faster.

Ranged DPS is always needed and has much overlap with what is required of them in terms of mechanics. You're also better off seeing your character among clutter compared to melee dps Which is typically under the boss and all of the spell effects so it can be a little harder to notice some indicator under your feet. There's also cleave which can mess you up if your tank decides to move the boss and you aren't prepared.

Of course both are very easy to deal with at the end of the day. The game isn't hard.

I'll resist the temptation to say play a hunter. Hunter has a ton a responsibility imo. I would recommend ranged dps though for BrF. It is not totally easy mode but the added range gives you a second to react to mechanics. Oregorger's phase 2 comes to mind especially if your guild tries to maintain damage during roll phase. From my experience, it sucks to do as a feral druid.

TLDR version: I'd recommend Warlock or Mage

Arms warrior is as simple as it gets. Very easy rotation, great mobility to stay out of stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Hunter.
    You are wanted by every guild in the world, can do top damage on the move, and have multiple ways to survive deadly mechanics.

However, if you are unskilled, it will be noticed quickly. They are commonly considered the best damage in the game (along with arcane mage.)
    If you are doing really low dps after you gear up you may be shunned.
    Pretty much this, it's very very easy to spot a bad hunter. Hunters are commonly used for certain mechanics that require a player to move or kite far from the raid as they have some of the best mobility in the game (subjective). Hunters used to have a really high skill cap at one point however now they are on par with every other class in the game so it really isn't that hard to 'master' the hunter class. That and they are pretty fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Like some ppl said above the "easiest" role in the game is melee dps since u get to ignore a much larger part of boss mechanics than ranged. You also don't need to worry about optimizing your movement to minimize dps loss since u can always move and dps at the same time. Hunter as is also mentioned is not smth I would recommend if u want an easy start to your raiding career since they are often assigned to special duties with lots of responsibility.

Deleted
    Melee for beginners, good one guys. You already have to outplay ranged for a raid spot.

Go hunter

Hunter - for training wheels.

Melee - for something above that, moving doesn't punish you yet.

Ranged - you're probably raiding normals so honestly who ever cares what you play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I think this thread proves that in WotLK, not only has being bad and lazy become acceptable, but a defendable position and point of pride for some people.