Page 1 of 2
LastLast

All this Sub vs Mutt nerd rages...where my Combat bro's at

Am I the only one who watches these threads and comments on here and WoW rogue forums like the image posts in FB comment section...I find it quite entertaining. I am pretty keen for single target Combat to be honest, its not the most brain provoking spec I must admit but the swashbuckler aesthetic really works for me...

Whats the word on the ol sinister strike bot spec perfromance on PTR?

Deleted
    well tbh I love combat spec the most as well , its just hard to beat 2 swords for looks and over all swashbuckler character feel of the rogue .

I agree, wish that combat single target went up a bit and cleave down, so it wasn't a one trick pony.

Combat is awesome flavor, but it's just not fun to play at the moment. It's too simplistic. You basically just push things on cooldown, and the greatest intellectual effort you put in is hitting KS before AS. Yay! Even things like pooling Insight etc. are in reality such a minuscule gain, if they even are... It's saddening.

The performance is another thing, as is being pigeon-holed into a specific niche (cleave). But for me personally, the simplicity is what annoys me most, and drives me towards other specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Combat is awesome flavor, but it's just not fun to play at the moment. It's too simplistic. You basically just push things on cooldown, and the greatest intellectual effort you put in is hitting KS before AS. Yay! Even things like pooling Insight etc. are in reality such a minuscule gain, if they even are... It's saddening.

The performance is another thing, as is being pigeon-holed into a specific niche (cleave). But for me personally, the simplicity is what annoys me most, and drives me towards other specs.
    Good luck dealing acceptable single target as combat if you think it's just using your shit on cooldown.

Deleted
    I always described Combat as the chess of rogue specs; it's definitely not just "push the shinies when they pop up", you need to think more and plan quite far ahead to get the most out of it. It's definitely my favourite spec of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
    Good luck dealing acceptable single target as combat if you think it's just using your shit on cooldown.
    Then why not just play a different spec?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmJakub View Post
    All this Sub vs Mutt nerd rages...where my Combat bro's at
    Their fingers have cramped up from SS spam :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    The truth of the matter is, you have no proof for this and are just generating facts.

Obviously "just push button on CD" is hyperbole, but still, Combat is nowhere near the complexity of Sub or even Assassination. And before someone starts with it, no, I'm not talking about absolutes here. This is a game. Want something truly difficult, go do neurosurgery. It's a matter of degrees and relatives, and Combat is not difficult to a degree that I find satisfying, especially in relation to other specs (mostly Sub).

They're in the off-spec tab where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Obviously "just push button on CD" is hyperbole, but still, Combat is nowhere near the complexity of Sub or even Assassination. And before someone starts with it, no, I'm not talking about absolutes here. This is a game. Want something truly difficult, go do neurosurgery. It's a matter of degrees and relatives, and Combat is not difficult to a degree that I find satisfying, especially in relation to other specs (mostly Sub).
    Combat is more complex than Mutilate. To say otherwise implies a severe misunderstanding of one of the two specs. Sub > Combat > Mutilate, in order of complexity. It's not even really debatable.

If you think combat is more in-depth than mut, you're playing mut wrong.

My favorite spec is sub and I will play it st as long as it is top st damage. My os is spambat because holy cleave, batman. I don't particularly enjoy combat but it helps my guild. But it's so boring to me. At least with mut you have to manage energy and combo points rather than spam carpel-tunnel-strike.

Deleted
    Combat, especially with t17 4p has some unpredictability our two other specs have not. You can't just plan your CDs for encounter and be done with it. Depending on t17 4p procs the time you use CDs may shift, you may get extra use(s). Sometimes it's worth doing some unorthodox things (like using low CP eviscerate to get KS off cooldown because you have last seconds of trinket proc/red insight/adds that live short and beg for BF + KS). There is BG pooling with anticipation or some clever MfD usage for shorter cooldowns. These are decisions you have to make on the fly, sometimes time to seize the opportunity is short. There certainly is some depth/decision making there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyrshadi View Post
    If you think combat is more in-depth than mut, you're playing mut wrong.

My favorite spec is sub and I will play it st as long as it is top st damage. My os is spambat because holy cleave, batman. I don't particularly enjoy combat but it helps my guild. But it's so boring to me. At least with mut you have to manage energy and combo points rather than spam carpel-tunnel-strike.
    Mut has to rupture while combat has to slice n dice! Biggest difference.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    your combat bros can't type their fingers broke from spamming SS. But seriously i liked that spec more in MoP than now even when it was alot more spammy. With ability pruning, really not much left. Idk why they kept crimson tempest it's like the most useless spell ever. Keep rupture or make other cd, or spell that will interact in rotation. It all comes down to the rogue redesign, sub is fine imo , but combat and assa need something fresh. Now i only enjoy killing spree, adrenaline is going up when you use it cause it can wipe the raid or kill you ;P

Random observation, Sub players suffer from God complex while Mut players from inferiority complex, I ask one question and within two replies it turns into the same squabble as every other thread. Rogue community No1

Deleted
    The off-spec that you play more than your main-spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rolled my current rogue in Wrath, and she has been Mut spec ever since. Doesn't even have an os at the moment. Sub is a pvp spec to me, and combat doesn't use daggers (or do they currently?), which isn't rogueish to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I've always kept a combat spec ever since dual-spec was first introduced. Combat is just too useful for stuff like farming, quests, dungeons, dealing with random world pvp etc. And it's pretty damn good in raiding also unless you are in some neckbeard mythic guild. Since I usually keep sub as my pvp-spec (and really the only reason I subscribe is to play sub) it means that assassination seems irrelevant to me. It's a nice spec for people new to the class to learn the basics, but beyond that it is hopelessly one-dimensional without the utility and usefulness of combat, or the depth and satisfaction of sub (in pvp at least).
    Last edited by lolpve; 2015-05-05 at 09:30 AM.

I personally do not like the feel of the spec.

Combat is the king of sustained cleave, sure, but single target combat is too mind numbing, spammy and bland. KS and AR come off CD way too often to have really big impact on DPS, CP/energy pooling also has minimal impact at best. Pretty much all the difficulty of the spec comes down to not killing yourself/raid during kill-me-spree.

I'd like to see more depth added to combat before I use it on anything single target.