Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jewelcrafting Daily overrated? Not profitable?

I keep hearing that this is an easy 200-300 gold but many days I get quests that require me to make a ring that costs 120 ore and sometimes only rewards 200 gold. This is either just breaking even or sometimes a loss. Am I just supposed to skip these days? Why did Blizz put these crappy quests into the daily rotation? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Dyfar; 2015-05-14 at 05:20 PM.

I skip the days that take 120 ore for the choker/rings. I pretty much only do the gems or the ones that take 20 ore.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I skip the days that take 120 ore for the choker/rings. I pretty much only do the gems or the ones that take 20 ore.
    That's what I do, too. Just ignore the choker ones. The rings I think are profitable, I am not sure. It depends on server.

Even on the days that you get the choker/ring, it's usually still a profit, just a smaller one.

Ore is about 1g per, so the ring/choker cost around 120g to make. Lowest I've seen in a bag is 197g.

That's still a profit, just slightly less than the other days that you get a 200-250g profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    Is not big profit if at all espeshil if you consider that you could have another building.
    Unless your char has JC for Work Orders, give it a pass.12346578y
    Umm, what other small building is more profitable? You can have 3 of them in a lvl 3 garrison, one will obviously be Salvage Yard, you could then add the Enchanting Hut(or not, if you're not a chanter and just want it to DE stuff, you can always find someone with one up in LFG), and that STILL leaves room for the JC building.

Also, OP, what server do you play on? On my server, the choker is in no way a loss. On my server ore is like 1g per, MAX(often less), so even using 120 ore(ie, 120g) to make the rings/choker is still more profitable than selling the ore(lowest bag I've ever gotten was 185g, still a profit, just not the big profit that a 250g bag for 20 ore is).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Also, OP, what server do you play on? On my server, the choker is in no way a loss. On my server ore is like 1g per, MAX(often less), so even using 120 ore(ie, 120g) to make the rings/choker is still more profitable than selling the ore(lowest bag I've ever gotten was 185g, still a profit, just not the big profit that a 250g bag for 20 ore is).
    You know that is different server to server. My server, ore is over 2G a piece on a regular basis. Undermine journal has Blackrock ore at a mean price of 1.78G, it is 1.85 on my server for example.

Deleted
    For some odd reason Whispering Iron Choker (60 blackrock) has much smaller gold reward than all other quests. It only rewards 100-150 gold from what I've noticed.
    All other quests reward 200-300 gold.

I skip the ring / neck creation quests because they cost too much ore. Ore is currently priced at 1.7 - 2.3 gold each on my AH so it's not worth it, unless you want to grind looted gold for the 200,000g looted achievement. I already have that so no point in doing these.

Otherwise, the quests are very nice profit.

2x Haste Taladite - 20x blackrock ore + 4 herbs
    1x Crit Taladite - 10x blackrock ore + 2 herbs
    And 20 blackrock / 20 true iron ore quests.

They are all worth 200-300g each in the loot bag. The crafted epic rings you get from work order mats are selling for decent prices on AH as well - 1000 - 2000 gold a pop, costs 250 ore to craft one. Pretty decent if you ask me - that's without a profession ofc. With profession you make much greater gold crafting the blue gems or 655-680 gear upgrades.
    Last edited by mmocd8b7f80d95; 2015-05-18 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    You know that is different server to server.
    So...me saying "Also, OP, what server do you play on? On my server, the choker is in no way a loss." didn't make it blatantly clear that I knew it was different from server to server?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    So...me saying "Also, OP, what server do you play on? On my server, the choker is in no way a loss." didn't make it blatantly clear that I knew it was different from server to server?
    No, more like why do you care what server he is on because it has zero impact on your cost on your server and his knowledge of your server helps him zero. Really the only thing that matters is the general trend in cost as reported via undermine journal. Each individual server is going to be different, so the real way to talk about this is in general trends. Something along the lines of, in general the trend is for ore to cost enough gold to not be profitable as less people are subscribed, less people are taking the time to mine the ore from their garrison and less people are doing work orders. Some servers will lag behind this trend for one reason or another, but the general trend is one of some of the JC daily quests not being worthwhile.

Mean price on ores isn't very useful. It goes up and down a ton during the week with the daily traders.

2g mean is about right on most servers, but that's a low of 1.10 or 1.20 balanced by a high of 2.50 or more.

IIRC for the quests there's
    1 crit gem
    2 haste gems
    20 Blackrock ore
    20 True Iron ore
    1 Whispering Iron Choker
    2 Glowing Blackrock Bands

The first four will always be profitable, so it's hard to say that the daily is overrated. 2/3 times, it'll be a hit. Depending on your prices and your RNG, the other two may be a hit as well.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I skip the 60 & 120 ore dailies, that makes it more profitable...
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    For some odd reason Whispering Iron Choker (60 blackrock) has much smaller gold reward than all other quests. It only rewards 100-150 gold from what I've noticed.
    All other quests reward 200-300 gold.
    I noticed the same thing. I usually skip this one as I'm actively spending Blackrock Ore.

JC daily might not make you rich but it sure does help build up gold with 0 work.

Quote Originally Posted by Taro10 View Post
    JC daily might not make you rich but it sure does help build up gold with 0 work.
    Gotta mine and herb, though!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    People who skip the 60 and 120 ore JC dailies actually lose gold, since they keep a small building spot with no gold revenue those days compared to others, like the salvage yard or the enchanting hut. Of course you have to use your mine and garden to make the JC daily profitable all days, not because the mats are free (time is money), but because with stacking coffees, a preserved mining pick and the leather herbalism gloves/Arak mining pick treasures the whole herb/mine chore lasts 5 min (less than 3 for mine, the rest for garden). Of course, if you need your ores for other stuff or you buy them, you can judge on your own if the JC dailies are profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    People who skip the 60 and 120 ore JC dailies actually lose gold, since they keep a small building spot with no gold revenue those days compared to others, like the salvage yard or the enchanting hut. Of course you have to use your mine and garden to make the JC daily profitable all days, not because the mats are free (time is money), but because with stacking coffees, a preserved mining pick and the leather herbalism gloves/Arak mining pick treasures the whole herb/mine chore lasts 5 min (less than 3 for mine, the rest for garden). Of course, if you need your ores for other stuff or you buy them, you can judge on your own if the JC dailies are profitable.
    That's not true though.

You may lose out on gold on a given day, but since the gold/day on the other days is much greater, you still get more gold/week than any of the other small plots.

You need ~ 20 large salvage crates per day to match it, and Enchanting hut doesn't even come close.

Enchanting hut barely breaks even for the products over the cost of the mats.

Also, you say you know the mats aren't free... But then go on to argue that they're basically free. You could make far more holding onto them and selling stacks for a high cost the day the ore trader is around. So you're losing the max price of the ore if you're gathering it yourself.

Deleted
    Today's quest (not sure if they're server wide or region wide ? Anyway.) was 20 Blackrock ore. I got 220-ish gold for it. Pretty sure that is absolutely wortwhile.

For some ridiculous reason, the choker/rings dailies reward LESS gold than the 20 ores/1 or 2 gems ones. I regularly get 220-260 for those and only 120-150 for the chokers/rings.

Just skip those and do the others, they're always worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Relnor View Post
    Today's quest (not sure if they're server wide or region wide ? Anyway.) was 20 Blackrock ore. I got 220-ish gold for it. Pretty sure that is absolutely wortwhile.

For some ridiculous reason, the choker/rings dailies reward LESS gold than the 20 ores/1 or 2 gems ones. I regularly get 220-260 for those and only 120-150 for the chokers/rings.

Just skip those and do the others, they're always worth it.
    Reward from the bag is random between 110ish to 300ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Desraider View Post
    Reward from the bag is random between 110ish to 300ish.
    This is not correct. Different dailies have bags with different item IDs, with different gold ranges.