Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does Blizzard have many other sources of good income?

From the last one or two weeks, the impression I had was that it doesn't matter if WoW died... because Blizzard have alternative sources of income and is making a lot of money from them: Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Overwatch? oil? I mean I'm sure making the amount they did from WoW, they can afford to put that money into oil or other investment etc lol... so even if WoW become not profitable, the oil profit can continue to generate money for its development. It's just my hypothetical scenario.

If WoW just completely went to 0 sub or maybe stayed at 2-3 mil sub, can Blizzard still make a lot of money with these other franchises/method just mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by LairenyX View Post
    If WoW just completely went to 0 sub or maybe stayed at 2-3 mil sub, can Blizzard still make a lot of money with these other franchises/method just mentioned?
    Yes. But not as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the last one or two weeks, the impression I had was that it doesn't matter if WoW died
    I'd love to know where you got such a ridiculous idea from.

Blizzard makes plenty from WoW-related services, their subs, and Hearthstone packs. Would they be okay if WoW vanished? No, obviously not. No company would ever think "Guys, we make plenty of money, let's let some pieces of the company die for the hell of it".

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'd love to know where you got such a ridiculous idea from.
    Darsithis, Darsithis... I know you're raising one eyebrow, suspicious of me of making up stuff and spreading misinformation etc... but as you can see, I have my butt covered to deflect your eyebrow lazer shooting:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...508174?page=19

If you look at post #367, that one green post made a medium-long post. However, on his last paragraph, he's saying the stuff which I am showing you now since you said just moment ago that you would love to see what stuff I saw which lead me to saying such thing in the OP.

Deleted
    so even if WoW become not profitable
    The chances of that happening are next to zero.

If you look at post #367, that one green post made a medium-long post. However, on his last paragraph, he's saying the stuff which I am showing you now since you said just moment ago that you would love to see what stuff I saw which lead me to saying such thing in the OP.
    Green posts aren't special, they are just another persons opinion and not really related to Blizzard. There is no reason why (in a case like this) you would make your opinion based more heavily on his as opposed to others.

Blizzard's WoW microtransaction revenue now generates almost as much revenue as their subs do. This is why WoW still produces as much revenue as it did when they had 12 million subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezmoth View Post
    Green posts aren't special, they are just another persons opinion and not really related to Blizzard. There is no reason why (in a case like this) you would make your opinion based more heavily on his as opposed to others.
    Well, the OP inquiry is still valid. Does Blizzard make plenty of money from these other methods and are these other franchises/methods able to substitute effectively for WoW as a source of income in the event that WoW went to say 3 million sub?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the OP inquiry is still valid. Does Blizzard make plenty of money from these other methods and are these other franchises/methods able to substitute effectively for WoW as a source of income in the event that WoW went to say 3 million sub?
    I assume if the game should ever go to 3 mil sub, this type of micro transaction might decrease in strength too.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume if the game should ever go to 3 mil sub, this type of micro transaction might decrease in strength too.
    you do realize 3 million subs is still alot for mmos and is still more then blizzard ever imagined wow would have when they made wow right?

3 million is still a highly highly profitable mmo.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Blizzard makes craptons of money, I really wouldn't worry about their financial status if I were you...

WoW is still strong and that could last for years. Their other games also have strong revenue. Even if WoW would to be gone tomorrow (which is not going to happen), Blizzard would still make good profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Blizzard's WoW microtransaction revenue now generates almost as much revenue as their subs do.
    source?
    10char

Quote Originally Posted by Cromatus View Post
    source?
    10char
    Try looking at their financial reports. Not hard to find.

Overwatch may operate an in-game store like Team Fortress 2, which would generate them a phenomenal profit.

Heroes of the Storm will generate a strong income.

Hearthstone already does.

Starcraft generates enough money to probably pay for itself and more through Expansion sales.

World of Warcraft still generates a strong profit margin.

Deleted
    From the last one or two weeks, the impression I had was that it doesn't matter if WoW died...
    For company listed in stock market every source of income matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Try looking at their financial reports. Not hard to find.
    It would be incredibly hard to find these figures in their financial reports due to the fact they do not offer a breakdown of microtransaction income.

From the last one or two weeks, the impression I had was that it doesn't matter if WoW died... because Blizzard have alternative sources of income and is making a lot of money from them: Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Overwatch? oil? I mean I'm sure making the amount they did from WoW, they can afford to put that money into oil or other investment etc lol... so even if WoW become not profitable, the oil profit can continue to generate money for its development. It's just my hypothetical scenario.

1) Blizzard makes more money from WoW than all other sources combined. At this point in time, they'd never be able to make up for that loss of revenue if WoW suddenly died.
    2) But that's not likely to happen anytime soon. Yes, They just lost 3 million subscribers...but they're still 7 million strong and 6.2 will probably see more players reactivate their accounts.
    3) Even with the loss...subscriptions are still about even with what they were in MoP. When subs dip below 5 million..then its time to start worrying.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

So... can we safely say that if the next quarter report said WoW went down to 5 million subs, this isn't a big deal because:

1) 5 million is still profitable

and

2) These other franchises/methods lessen the significance of the sub loss?
    Last edited by LairenyX; 2015-05-10 at 07:32 PM.

So... can we safely say that if the next quarter report said WoW went down to 5 million subs, this isn't a big deal because:

and

Depends on the situation. Not all subs bring in the same income.

and

its still a big deal, companies never want less money. but they would still be well off even if wow wasnt the juggernaught it is now. blizzard made popular games before, during, and will continue to do so after wow, if there ever even is an after wow.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552