Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    It was the same episode that was leaked, and despite some nerdraging by people who's opinions are easy to ignore due to how meaningless and irrational they are, it wasn't a bad premiere at all. It had a few minor bumps, but nothing that won't be cleaned up as the series progressed.

If you like the tone and style of the Flash, you should like Supergirl. It's also nothing like Smallville, thank God. She gets her powers, her name, and her public recognition all in the first hour of the show.

The only thing that really bothered me was how they treated Superman. Not for how they actually treated him (it's great that they present him as the mythical figure the movies never will), but how they avoid using his name at every turn. I think he was referenced at least 20-30 times, but his name was only spoken once or twice. Otherwise it was "him" for the most part, and that got old really fast.
    It was obvious that they didn't have the rights to the name. It did get a little annoying by the end though

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't know how they could not have rights to the name considering the same people ultimately responsible for the series also make Superman movies.
    Easy - the TV division gets told by higher powers in Warner Brothers "You're not allowed to use the name Superman more than twice in the pilot, and never in any follow-up episode, because we don't want it distracting from the movies."

Same way the Arrow TV show doesn't have "permission" to use the Blue Beetle or Batman, and had their "permission" to use the Suicide Squad revoked, which derailed a lot of plans for Season 3.

If you like the tone and style of the Flash, you should like Supergirl.
    I love Arrow and Flash, was looking forward to this when i first heard it but watching it gave me cancer!

Jimmy Olsen black? eh w/e. Jimmy Olsen as tall and bulky? WTF. I am perfectly fine with them casting black actors to portray the people we know, but at least get actors who fit into that person they are playing. Jimmy is short, geeky, and slim not tall and built.

Every one on the show except her boss knows her true identity. If they cant show supes for w/e reason at least put some lines in to explain it, what he can't visit her as Clark Kent at all in her life?

The episode felt so rushed and her heat vision? Did the people doing the FX ever watch or seen Superman in any format before?

I will give it a few more episodes because you know its a Pilot and all, but what they reseal made me loose faith.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was cringe-worthy in regards to how 'in your face' they were about beating you over the head that she is, in fact, a woman.

Call me sexist, but this is why I usually hate strong female leads. Instead of developing a strong character, they just fall back on good looking women and beat it in to you that they're super special because they have a vagina. If the creators are shooting for equality, they're doing it wrong.

It's kind of funny, really. In this age of equality, it seems like very few understand or remember why Sigourney Weaver or Linda Hamilton were regarded as incredibly respected leading actresses in a genre still dominated by men. They were ripped, had attitude, and could seriously kick some ass without having to carry the gender banner. Now we have Emilia Clarke playing Sarah Connor...
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2015-10-27 at 07:28 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
    It was cringe-worthy in regards to how 'in your face' they were about beating you over the head that she is, in fact, a woman.
    I found this glaring obvious as well. And it always makes me laugh. Theyre trying so hard to be politically correct it actually ends up being way more sexist implying woman find everything harder. Its perfect

My personal favorite example of this was when the hard military guy tells supergirl to just go get a coffee and let the men deal with the big scary aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatix View Post
    I love Arrow and Flash, was looking forward to this when i first heard it but watching it gave me cancer!

Jimmy Olsen black? eh w/e. Jimmy Olsen as tall and bulky? WTF. I am perfectly fine with them casting black actors to portray the people we know, but at least get actors who fit into that person they are playing. Jimmy is short, geeky, and slim not tall and built.

Every one on the show except her boss knows her true identity. If they cant show supes for w/e reason at least put some lines in to explain it, what he can't visit her as Clark Kent at all in her life?

The episode felt so rushed and her heat vision? Did the people doing the FX ever watch or seen Superman in any format before?

I will give it a few more episodes because you know its a Pilot and all, but what they reseal made me loose faith.
    actually, I thought the heat vision was very cool, one of the few cool things.. it did feel really rushed.

I think she's so hot. I wasn't sure when I saw the first picture of her in the uniform, but after seeing her on TV...she's hot. Plus I'm a sucker for super hero shows...I'll probably keep watching it. I didn't think the episode was bad overall. It had it's good parts and it had it's bad parts. Some of the flying and the movements she makes was kinda weird. I also thought the ending seemed a little too soon. She JUST started being a super hero and the first big enemy is people from her home world? It seems a little too soon for that.

I kinda like that she told her friend about her powers in the first episode. It's better than having an Iris or Thea where the secret is constantly bringing up annoying conflicts.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2015-10-27 at 08:09 PM.

Well the concept of keeping those close to her safe hadn't really been established until she found that the bad guys are gunning for her specifically.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    It was obvious that they didn't have the rights to the name. It did get a little annoying by the end though
    Considering they used both Superman and Kal-El, you're pretty much wrong. They chose not to use his name in most of the dialogue for reasons that defy logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I kinda like that she told her friend about her powers in the first episode. It's better than having an Iris or Thea where the secret is constantly bringing up annoying conflicts.
    But did you catch her friend's name? (I did. I'm just asking if anyone else did. It's kind of a big deal.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khatix View Post
    This is clearly years after Superman came on the scene. There's no way Jimmy Olsen is still a nerdy little teenager trying to get that photographic scoop. He's also been through a lot being so close to Supes that only a moron wouldn't at least try to work out and/or bulk up. And you do know that people can hit growth spurts late in life, huh? (Not that your early twenties is 'late in life' by any measure.)

He's doing a fine job. Just being so near Superman, he's clearly developed confidence, charisma, and poise. Hell, he's grown so much that he doesn't even like the name "Jimmy" anymore, allowing only his mother and -- surprise of surprises -- Superman to call him that.
    No, not everyone on the show knows she's Supergirl. Most of the main cast, sure, but that's true in Flash and Arrow, too.

As for Superman's absence, it's both obvious and semi-explained in the pilot. Superman clearly wants her to find her own identity and not be dependent on him whenever she gets in a difficult spot. He knows she's every bit as powerful as him, and she needs to learn how to fend for herself, else he'd be doing her a disservice.

Doesn't mean he didn't send a trusted comrade to keep an eye on her anyway, and give her advice.

As for the obvious reason: It's, well, obvious. It wouldn't be Supergirl if Superman was stealing the limelight every other episode.

It did feel a bit rushed, but it was a pilot. They had a lot to cram in. And her heat vision? That was fucking awesome. And have you seen Superman in every format? Several -- including the movies -- has his heat vision working the same way. I'm glad they chose to do it this way, because it makes it very, very cool and believable. Rather than just "laser eyes."

Deleted
    This show is pretty much what you'd expect from a DC show, after Arrow, Flash, and even Gotham.

A hell of a lot of this:

With some super corny cliches mixed in.

my favourite part is at 1:13.badass!!!

Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2015-10-28 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I just want to keep you safe." Says the normal human being... TO FUCKING SUPERGIRL!

Who writes these scripts man...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    "I just want to keep you safe." Says the normal human being... TO FUCKING SUPERGIRL!

Greg Berlanti, who else? Notice the tranwreck that Arrow has become.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    my favourite part is at 1:13.badass!!!

yeah,the part where Astra barely punches her and sends her flying and crashing against the walls and ground.its my favourite part.
    Last edited by mmoc98df675b31; 2015-10-28 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Yeah, in a world full of Earth-based villains who have had decades to learn how to fight/harm/incapacitate Superman (up to and including synthetic kryptonite), plus add a crashed prison full of alien criminals who could easily rival Kryptonians in power levels, combined with the emotional toll being a hero can take (i.e. can't save everyone, see humanity at its worst, etc)... nah, Supergirl should be fine, why would anyone feel protective at all?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Yeah, in a world full of Earth-based villains who have had decades to learn how to fight/harm/incapacitate Superman (up to and including synthetic kryptonite), plus add a crashed prison full of alien criminals who could easily rival Kryptonians in power levels, combined with the emotional toll being a hero can take (i.e. can't save everyone, see humanity at its worst, etc)... nah, Supergirl should be fine, why would anyone feel protective at all?
    Especially when the person saying it knows exactly what they're talking about, what dangers are out there, and who and why they'd want to kill her even unprovoked.

Nerdragers have it all figured out, man.

Deleted
    If Supergirl needs "protecting", then why not let her cousin know? I'm sure Superman could protect her in every imaginable way possible.

I mean, why not just take Supergirl with him, and fly around the Earth to reverse time, to the point where the Kryptonian prisoners arrive, then just create some trap for them in space (because, I mean, they can fly in space just fine), destroy the prison, and be done with it all? Or does the time travel trick only work when your loved one dies?

Oh right, now I get it. Superman can't help Supergirl, because of the "city universe" concept. Superman can only protect Metropolis, and Supergirl can only be within the borders of whatever city she's in. Also, why don't these baddies just leave those few cities alone and go to like New York or Paris or something? The heroes are stuck within their own respective cities, but all the other cities are fair game.

Nah. I just don't get the brilliance of DC writing, at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    What makes you think he doesn't know? What makes you think he wasn't responsible for her sister being recruited by the DEO (or whatever the abbreviation was, I can't recall)? What makes you think he's not out there handling some of the more dangerous ones, like Parasite or something? Or maybe he's tackling something even bigger than that. Or any other number of possibilities.

And you make it sound like it's a DC thing. Why didn't Captain America call on the Avengers during Winter Soldier? Was kind of a big, global-destroying deal going on there.

You keep that nerdrage going though. I'm sure it'll work out for you one day.

Deleted
    You keep that nerdrage going though. I'm sure it'll work out for you one day.
    So, if someone disagrees with you and doesn't like a thing you like, that's nerdrage? Interesting.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, completely irrational ranting over a complete and total non-issue is nerdraging. Doubly so when you start vomiting up ridiculous things that 1) were an embarrassment the first time around and has never been mentioned again because of that reason (aka, the time travel power) and 2) offering up things that would clearly destroy the entire premise of the series by doing so. Nevermind that 1) would negate any and all threats ever, making for a fucking boring television series.

If you have some real criticisms, by all means voice them. Ranting about idiotic stuff that's only an issue in your misinformed head isn't criticism, though. At least not useful criticism.