Poll: Revenge vs Whirlwind in Control Warrior- Which do you prefer?

Deleted

Revenge vs Whirlwind in Control Warrior- Which card do you think is the best?

So, when Revenge was first previewed, I didn't think much of Revenge. Many streamers also considered the card to be extremely underwhelming and it seemed like it would end up being doomed to see no play at all. Many weeks have passed since the card was released and I've seen it being used by many pros in their Control Warrior decks, be it standart warrior or Dragon warrior.

After searching for some opinions around the net and hearing what some pros had to say about Revenge, the consensus seems to be that Revenge is better than Whirlwind in Control Warrior and Whirlwind is better in Grim Patron Warrior. The argument is that in this aggro/face heavy meta Control Warriors end up losing a lot of life before stabilizing so it is common to reach 12 health and at that point having a 2 mana deal 3 damage to all board can do a lot of difference against aggressive decks and allow the warrior to stabilize. Whirlwind is just better in Patron Warrior because it is a combo card and since it costs 1 less mana it is simply better.

What is your opinion? Is Revenge better than Whirlwind in Control Warrior? Have you tested it? What were the results?
    Last edited by mmoc9f0bced709; 2015-05-29 at 08:47 PM.

Worse in the control and hunter match ups but better against mech and zoo. I say it's worse in the control match ups because they either burst you out before you get a chance to sit on 12 hp and because it combos better with Acolyte of Pain.

Personally I'd run 1 copy if I saw alot of Zoo on the ladder, might be worth flirting with against Patron as well.

The trouble with Revenge is the same as Mortal Strike - the dominance of control decks among warriors means you're not likely to be below 12HP unless you're losing hard, and if that's the case it's not likely to save you, plus you'll likely be heavily mana-constrained. Eg, can't play this alongside Alexstrasza unlike WW.

I wouldn't say it's bad, might even be a good substitute for WW. It also counters patron decks nicely... provided they do enough face damage to you first. Which they often don't.

Also, slight chance of excessive friendly fire if you're using it to trigger enrages - could make it a dead card if you're low on HP, unlike WW which always does 1.

IMO it just doesn't fit the current Warrior meta well enough to get the prominence it deserves.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2015-06-01 at 07:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I feel like it's kind of counter-productive to the point of Control Warrior which is all about taking as little damage as possible until you can throw out your big minions. If you're below 12 health it means you've failed to control the match properly at which point Revenge is unlikely to save you on its own, if you're willing to deal 3 damage to all minions it means you either already have your big minions out who can survive a 3 damage hit, aka you should be in control, or you don't have any minions on the board and you're probably going to lose either way.

I think overall Geddon does its job better, you get a 7/5 body on the board who can still clear most face and zoo deck's minions, and he doesn't outright kill your Acolyte of Pain. The only thing Revenge does better is kill Grim Patrons, but the Patron combo is likely to finish you off if you're at 12 health either way.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2015-06-01 at 08:43 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Revenge Costs a little bit too much for activating enrage minions, while Whirlwind does the same, and costs 1less. For board clears, Revenge is better.

I'd say neither. If you're running into a ton of Facehunter on the given day maybe swap in one whirlwind but I don't play either of them in my Control Warrior.

I haven't tried Revenge myself, but it seems a bit too situational to get yourself under 13 hp. Some people say the one extra mana doesn't even matter, but for early game I think it actually does as it can allow you to play a minion with that extra mana crystal.