Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Am I the only one who misses these raid dungeons?

You know, the ones where in order to get to the next boss you need to kill the one before it? I think choosing your path like HM and BRF are cool, but I miss the older style.

Multiple routes or optional bosses work best with premade groups all in agreement.
    They do not work with random groups, as there will always be someone who objects to anything they deem less than "optimal" for their own needs regardless of what anyone else, despite them needing those other people.

As I am myself largely limited to random groups due to inconvenient circumstances, then I appreciate the reduction in drama from that fixed layout though can also appreciate that choices still allow progress if a boss is proving difficult to kill.
    There are reasons for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I think there is nothing wrong with a bit of variety and mop basically had only raids where you had to defeat all bosses in a fixed order.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Hm. How many older raids actually were 100% linear?
    Blackwing Lair
    Karazhan (linear with optional encounters)
    Battle for Mount Hyjal
    TOC
    Mogu'shan Vaults/HoF/ToES
    Throne of Thunder

Everything else had optional quarters or a non-linear setup.
    Did I miss any? (this is out of all 36 raids)

I think linear wings of 2-4 bosses is best, personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Blackrock Foundry design is the best. 3 bosses each wing, some linear(beastlord/operator) some non-linear(flamebender/hans).
    Each wing is accessible at any time and the last boss is accessible immediately with a key.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...inder/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    The expansion is not The Dark Below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Also, the expansion is not Corgis Unleashed either.

Blackrock with quest to skip to last boss was great.
    Highmaul with optional wings was great.

SoO, ToT, etc all suck. I much prefer optional especially when the early stuff is on farm and you want to get to the harder bosses sooner. This way I no longer extend lockouts.

Deleted
    I think this thread is proof that Blizzard can't win no matter what they do.
    Make linear dungeons/raids, someone complains, make non-linear dungeons/raids, then someone else complains.

Quote Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
    Make linear dungeons/raids, someone complains, make non-linear dungeons/raids, then someone else complains.
    It's not just Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
    The thing is, some people like potatoes, other people prefer rice. It's impossible to please everyone all the time so maybe variety is a good choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Blackwing Lair
    Battle for Mount Hyjal
    TOC
    Throne of Thunder

You forgot:

AQ40 (optionals +100% linear)
    BoT
    SWP

SoO was almost linear. Only choice was going right to Spoils/Thok or left to Siegecrafter.

WoTLK had no linear raids. Naxx was probably the least linear raid ever and Ulduar/ICC had multiple paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Blackwing Lair
    Battle for Mount Hyjal
    TOC
    Throne of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Vutk View Post
    You forgot:

AQ40 (optionals +100% linear)
    BoT
    SWP
    .....and:

Black Temple
    Gruul's Lair
    AQ20 (later to be changed into AQ10) (Linear + optionals)
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2015-05-21 at 07:27 PM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    .....and:

Black Temple
    Gruul's Lair
    AQ20 (later to be changed into AQ10) (Linear + optionals)
    Black temple isn't linear is it?

And 1-2 boss raids (Gruul's) shouldn't count because there's no way they couldn't be linear lol. (ToT4W as well)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post

And 1-2 boss raids (Gruul's) shouldn't count because there's no way they couldn't be linear lol. (ToT4W as well)
    Black temple isn't 100% linear, because you can choose between Shade & mother which boss you wish to kill next. Technically speaking AQ20 is 100% linear, but if you think it like that it only has 3 bosses

I wouldn't consider SoO non-linear. Technically there was one option (that almost nobody varied on), but even then 1 optional path with 14 bosses isn't much.

As for me, no I don't like linear raids. I like having the option rather than having to keep farming a boss that nobody at all needs one drop from. Also nice to have options if you hit a wall or a particular boss is a bad matchup for your group

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beelgers View Post
    I wouldn't consider SoO non-linear. Technically there was one option (that almost nobody varied on), but even then 1 optional path with 14 bosses isn't much.

As for me, no I don't like linear raids. I like having the option rather than having to keep farming a boss that nobody at all needs one drop from. Also nice to have options if you hit a wall or a particular boss is a bad matchup for your group
    oh no, SoO is definitely linear, similar to BT, but we were thinking about raids that were 100% linear

Highmaul would also be considered 100% linear with a few optionals

I've actually really enjoyed Blackrock Foundry. It's still somewhat procedural, but overall you still have the freedom to clear wings in whatever order you prefer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post

The only option you have in BT is RoS and Gurthogg can be switched.. Otherwise the order is fixed..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vutk View Post
    Black temple isn't 100% linear, because you can choose between Shade & mother which boss you wish to kill next. Technically speaking AQ20 is 100% linear, but if you think it like that it only has 3 bosses
    Nope...

Shade opens the doors to Gorefiend..
    Gorefiend opens the doors to RoS/Gurthogg (these two can switch order)
    RoS/Gurthogg opens the door to Mother..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/