Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would have been a lot better if the first companion you got shared your gear. When Zoist came out, Broonmark and Aric Jorgan got all the gear that came from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    It would have been a lot better if the first companion you got shared your gear. When Zoist came out, Broonmark and Aric Jorgan got all the gear that came from it.
    The game never made any attempt to have companions occur as part of the game progression, they all played second to their story. Knight gets two right off, then nothing for a long time. Healer companions occur whenever. Gear is based on what would make sense for the companion rather than helping the player with gearing.

There is the ship-bot, but how many players even know to gear him up and use as a healer? He specifically tells you he can't do anything!
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    From the classes I've leveled. You get Doc at Balmorra, Theran at Nar Shaddaa, Elorne at Taris, Mako at Hutta, Quinn at Balmorra and the IRS dude at Hoth. Most of my characters are damage and they are high burst. So I am running around with my healer. On my Vanguard I run around with a damage companion. I don't think I've used a tank companion since the damage you deal peals right off them.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've actually been using tanky companions lately, and if used well, I think they can be better than healer. Of course, depends on class. But for my Sorc/Agent especially, tank works better. Send them in and AoE with my Sorc and stuff is usually dead before he loses agro. On my agent, Kaliyo tanks everything while I run around backstabbing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Belichick View Post
    I've actually been using tanky companions lately, and if used well, I think they can be better than healer. Of course, depends on class. But for my Sorc/Agent especially, tank works better. Send them in and AoE with my Sorc and stuff is usually dead before he loses agro. On my agent, Kaliyo tanks everything while I run around backstabbing stuff.
    Same here.

On my shadow, she does such high DPS and loves to back stab as infiltration, I run with a tank companion. Makes it a whole lot easier and faster.

Similar with my gunslinger and commando. Just send in the tank companion and blast away. Before I peel aggro off mobs are usually dead and he just rounds them up.

15+ Year Old Account
    My sentinel melts stuff (literally, I play Watchman) in all her 192's that I run Doc to just make it so I never have to stop pulling stuff. Otherwise, I've been enjoying running with tank companions because you really don't have to stop pulling. You don't take much damage yourself and it's so quick to dismiss and recall your companion if they're low health.

Just gotta make sure bind the attack and passive keys on your companion bar so that you can control them easier and on a whim.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always use the healing companions at max b/c they make downtime non existent. There is some merit to all of the classes, but healers are the only ones that can prevent you from dying in a direct way. If you get into trouble, all a tank is going to do is help you die slower. Healers will actually help you not die.

That's an important distinction to me, lol.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i also feel like shit not having my apprentice with me >:/
    Yep. My shadow tank is female, so Nadia is more like my little sister than just an apprentice. I legit get sad when she dies and I never send her on crew missions. I'd have this feeling that Nadia/Ashara/Xalek would run out to avenge me and get got in the process.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't dislike ashara, but she's not down with the way my girl operates. i did use her for a while, on makeb. she deals quite a bit of damage.
    She was the best duelist in her class.

I remember Xalek's shielding ability being broken early on, so him being a tank sort of sucked - especially compared to Khem Val. I really loved his attitude. Master! Don't let me die! I still kinda wish we got Fon as a first companion, instead of Khem Val. Just cuz he was an arrogant force user.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

with this nice weekly giving me companion gear, i'm gearing everyone. so, eventually i'll be able to try out my dps and tank companions again. i know i went with khem until the end of the main story, and went with ashara on makeb.

but now i'm spoiled by the raw anal annihilation that is me with talos, just slamming through loads of enemies endlessly... so idk if ol' khem can compete anymore xD

I always run either tank or healer companion, DPS companions can't hold threat long enough for me to like using them when doing big pulls and even if they're effective at killing things, there's usually downtime between each pull. This is why Treek is so OP to me, because she's a tank and healer in one and pretty good at both. I generally give starting characters 400k from my main to get Treek at level 10, get enough inventory space to not be so damned annoying and have a good starter fund for buying companion gear from the GTN and filler pieces that aren't Adaptive Armor pieces.

but now i'm spoiled by the raw anal annihilation that is me with talos, just slamming through loads of enemies endlessly... so idk if ol' khem can compete anymore xD
    The way you stated this made me lol so thank you for that . I guess I'm still immature at times.

I've actually never used Talos for anything. I don't even think I've ever geared him. I just vendor whatever I get that he could use. I don't know why, I just don't like having him with me. I think it's because I just really want to have Xalek, since he's my apprentice and he doesn't question everything that I do (lookin' at you Ashara). I don't dislike him as a character, as my sorc likes having someone around who is purely archaeology-centric, but I've just never used him in combat outside of the quest line where he joins you (though after finishing his companion story, if I hear him say the name Auselio Gann one more time I'm going to give him a heaping dose of lightning to the face).

HOLY SHIT, SPOILERS IN THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsw57YXpCw

i only listened to a few seconds... won't listen to more, too much spoilering for me.

https://youtu.be/USHvcekHnVc
    In game trailer that was just released at Gamescom.

15+ Year Old Account
    HOLY SHIT, SPOILERS IN THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsw57YXpCw

i only listened to a few seconds... won't listen to more, too much spoilering for me.
    I was so tempted to watch it, watched a couple seconds as well, then turned it off. I want to know, but I overall prefer not to be spoiled. What stuck in my head was my buddy ruining that the character you were playing was Revan in KOTOR 1. That was rough.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I made the mistake of reading the first comment which confirmed my suspicions. I'm still excited, but I feel cheated in a way. Oh well...going to play it regardless, still so many questions.
    BAD WOLF

Something else for those still interested.

You can still get the companion Nico Okarr - The smuggler from the trailers - IF you become a sub before August 10. It was announced they are extending it a few more days so it lasts through the event.

"Plus, join by August 10 and get your own legendary gunslinger companion, Nico Okarr!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    https://youtu.be/USHvcekHnVc
    In game trailer that was just released at Gamescom.
    "if you will only kneel" oh yeah, he's about to get a new hole in his face.

"if you will only kneel" oh yeah, he's about to get a new hole in his face.
    It'd be fantastic if you actually can though.

That story looks pretty epic. I'm super excited about and for it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    It'd be fantastic if you actually can though.
    this valkorian though, the whole eternal empire, it's probably just a play thing for vitiate, since vitiate is valkorian. soon as he's done, he'll start consuming life again. there's no side to join here except oblivion...