Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Has World of Warcraft jumped the shark?

As with most terms and phrases on the Internet, “jumped the shark” is one that’s commonly misunderstood. Essentially, it’s a meme spawned from the loveable Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark on water-skis, in a scene that was panned at the time for being ludicrous.

What the term has now come to mean, is a point at where a TV show or some other franchise hits the moment that signifies its terminal decline. It’s the point that’s so daft and desperate, that it shows a complete lack of innovation or will to return something to its former glory or original premise.

Was Warlords of Draenor the moment World of Warcraft “jumped the shark”?

Let’s face it, it’s hard to get something more ludicrous than a time-travelling, alternate-universe story that was put in after the release of Mists of Pandaria, and was done so as little more than a craven attempt to bring players back with some of the franchises most well-known and loved characters. The fall out has been a series of broken promises, things taken out, content starvation and a complete lack of desire on the part of the developers to really fix any of it.

From here on out, the new “jump the shark” meme will be…

“Ran the red portal”.

Feel free to add your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a big WoW fan but seeing how MUCH negativity WoW has atm, it's insane.
    It never had this much not even near so much, everything they post has like a 90% dislike towards them.

Something is happening in WoW's life time, and i think it's for the worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    6.2 will tell but I already see signs of a 3rd pvp season in this expansion and I am not sure if WoW can survive yet another SOO-like content draught before the new expansion is released.

Hopefully 6.2 will make an impact for the good of the game.
    A drought like that again will kill WoW. They can't afford to not make content patches 3-4 months like every other game competing for people's time do.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

Quote Originally Posted by carlos5577 View Post
    A drought like that again will kill WoW. They can't afford to not make content patches 3-4 months like every other game competing for people's time do.
    It will lose sub but that will hardly "kill" the game. It's hard to believe that the game would simply die out suddenly. Except by killing you mean losing a lot of subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    It never had this much not even near so much, everything they post has like a 90% dislike towards them.

This. There has never been this much negativity, ever. Not for such a sustained period and by so many people who have been until now, entirely loyal.
    Yes, RealID was HUGE - but it didn't last long until they backtracked and I don't think it impacted subs or general feelings towards the company, there were a lot of people impressed with how swiftly they changed their minds etc. I don't think that intense few days can be compared to months of vast negativity from previously positive corners.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll give WoW 2.0 one more chance, when it comes out.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post

Forums seemed about as negative in Cata and MoP to me, honestly
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

One of the reasons for the sudden influx of negativity is Blizzard have attempted too many new things at once and failed in all fronts. That's not to say they shouldn't try out new things but Ashran, Garrisons, Draenor, PvP, mythic, dailies etc are mostly disappointments. This expansion is really the product of tested content, in small doses mind you that people enjoyed taken to the extreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    It's anecdotal, of course, but this is the worst I can remember the forums being - both here, and on the 'fishul site.

By orders of magnitude, I might add.

"Jumped the flight path".

Garrisons have been a failure and Blizzard don't want to man up and admit that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    MMO-Champion has never been this negative towards WoW since i been here.
    It's really insane how many negative threads are made each day. And how few positive, almost none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

In my opinion it's impossible to please all players! We are so different in many ways. The point is WOW is knowned by it's raid and they still are damm good! They hard, they funny and now they are more then ever with all the diferent difficulties for all players that want to raid. Of course blizz did some mistakes like talking the MMO almost out of the game, more content for lvl 100 needed. They should add 2 more dungeons lore wise in 6.2! like the first would be our disembarc in tannan jungle and the second could be like an undercover op to gather info and access to hellfire citatel. I think it would be cool with better gear of course like 660.
    I think blizz has the potencial to make the game good again but for that they need to rethink most of their way to see the game. More ppl is needed to work so we can get more content and better content. Single player content like Brawlers is great! I would like to us actually doing something with the shipyard actually could do some travel with the boats and some bosses on the see we would need to take like 4 followers to help you kill it on the deck of the boat. Example im a tank so i would take a healer and 3 dps. You a healer, so you would take a tank and 3 dps and so on.
    Well imo they should try to reclain the passion for wow. I think they lost it somewhere. I don't think blizz does it intencionally but they should try a bit harder.

Deleted
    Ah another one of these threads. Fantastic.

Maybe I'll expand not that such a thread deserves it.
    Blizzard are always damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
    If they do one thing the playerbase asks for, the other half of the playerbase will throw the toys out of the pram.
    It's nothing new with WoD whatsoever, every expansion, heck every patch has apparently been the one that means WoW is dying.
    Indeed every MMO that has come out (SWTOR, Wildstar, Aion) was apparently going to be the one that killed WoW.
    WoW isn't going to die any time soon, as much as you for some reason are going to will it.
    Last edited by mmoc7dcf40b782; 2015-06-03 at 10:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeiAggra View Post
    In my opinion it's impossible to please all players!
    Sadly, in trying to please everyone, they’ve got themselves into a position where they’re pleasing nobody.

The rest of your post was a bit mixed up, but I’m assuming that’s because English isn’t your first language (From: Barcelona). That said, I largely agreed with and enjoyed it.

“Farmed some apexis”.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakkiran View Post
    Ah another one of these threads. Fantastic.
    Ah, another one of these posts. Fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tempest Keep was merely a setback is Wow's first jump the shark moment. We've had a few since
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

Are you talking about the lore or the gameplay?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    What the term has now come to mean, is a point at where a TV show or some other franchise hits the moment that signifies its terminal decline. It’s the point that’s so daft and desperate, that it shows a complete lack of innovation or will to return something to its former glory or original premise.
    While we're at it, maybe it's time to also come up with a term to describe the general mood of the negative elements of the fan base.

I am thinking of a term from Tropic Thunder where the actor got so immersed in his role that he completely lost touch with reality.

"Went Full Retard"

Quote Originally Posted by Amulree View Post
    Sadly, in trying to please everyone, they’ve got themselves into a position where they’re pleasing nobody.
    Well, by that logic, i'm Nobody. Don't mind me. And you can tell the police that nobody took all your money.