Poll: For or Against Adblock?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Once sites stop running shitty ads filled with spyware, and they don't interupt my viewing of the site, I'll turn my AdBlock off.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

I block ads as a matter of safety. The amount of intrusive and dangerous ads there are around is too high.
    RETH

I use it. It's an added layer of safety and speeds up browsing for those of us who don't have blazing internet speeds.

I know websites need revenue somehow, but many adverts are way too annoying and intrusive.

And when it comes to YouTube, it's not as if Adblock is causing popular YouTubers to go hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A rumors been going around, though I've yet to find the article on it, that youtube is aiming to try and remove adblock from its site so it can stream adverts both in videos and in advertisements.

There is currently an ongoing debate between people for or against the use of adblock. Those who want adblock removed say it interferes with advertisements allowing for websites to be free as ad revenue pays for many sites ongoing use.
    Those against say adverts slow down their computers and viewing experience and it leads to adware infecting their systems and even making some websites impossible to load. I've experienced this myself before getting adblock installed.

What do you think is the right thing to do though? Show we have the choice to block this adverts that thrust themselves in our faces so the corporations will give these sites free money to host it, or should we carry on blocking adverts, and paying the site creators though things like patreon and other such means?
    No wonder why Google disabled certain addons on chrome, and guess what, adblockplus is one of them. The reason they have, is that all addons should be installed via google store which sounds rubbish cause even adblockplus's own website installs it from google store. It was so annoying I stopped using google chrome.

But on the main question, I disable it on certain sites, mostly those who are proved to be safe (to me) or have slightest idea to where to put their ads so it wont hurt my eyes!
    green is the color!

Deleted
    I'm hoping YouTube implement the "Tip Jar" system I've heard rumours of. And, I'd like for YouTubers who I'd want to donate to to get a decent cut of the donation and it not be like 90% to Google, 10% to the entertainer. We'll see though, I shan't hold my breath.

I'd turn off AdBlock on many websites if they screened the adverts shown on their sites more carefully. I don't want ridiculous, seizure-inducing flashing or videos with audio playing automatically or malware. I don't know if sites generally do have that level of control over what adverts show on their pages, but since so many adverts are just so obnoxious I keep it on almost all the time except for a few websites where I want to generate revenue for them (no matter how meagre) and I know their ads are unobtrusive.

Depends on what browser I am running. Generally though I will have some combination of adblock, noscript, -do not track-, flash block and greasemonkey equivalent running. For the same reasons others have pointed out above... Increased security, faster page loading and less... obnoxious... advertisements (sound, animation, popups, nsfw content, etc).

Deleted
    This is why i block ads:

Yep, some guys managed to turn his Minecraft Let's Play video into a 20 minute ad on a 16 minute video by another let's player. In fact, I got Adblock, µblock Origin, µblock and Ghostery all running at the same time.

40-0, jesus fuck. I didn't expect such an overwhelming popularity...

... Glad I'm at least agreeing with the popular opinion
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I allow ads on site that have on their option "Disable ads" like AMR for example.
    In general i;m so on for DB that i would gladly pay a monthly fee to have it if it wasn't free, internet is a terrible, terrible, terrible place with all these ads.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    This is why i block ads:

I do it because YouTube is essentially my TV. If I had to watch a commercial after every 1-10 minute video I watched, I'd go nuts. It's the same reason why the only TV I watch is pre-recorded DVR stuff that I can't get on YouTube, Netflix, etc.

20:32 ad on a 15:42 video, good lord. At least you can skip it though. Ads above 15s IIRC can be skipped after 5.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    obtrusive ad's blocking part of the screen or even random noises need to fuck right off.
    Gospel right here.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

I loathe online advertising in it's current form on the internet. It's never in a clever area of the page. Like forums when webmasters make you scroll through several ads in threads. better yet those sites that pop the ad up in the middle of the screen along with the obligatory "like us on facebook" crap that practically every website does. I understand websites need to generate money but without adblock it's down right greedy with how many ads they try to cram on each page. Solution build your visitors and while doing so offer subscription to not see ads. You'd be surprised how many regulars will gladly purchase it.

We understand that sites like youtube get there revenue from adds, but I just can't understand why annoy your customers with such idiotic sounds and pop-ups that you can't close, links that open from nowhere, things that install by themselves, trying to desperately close an add that is so big on the friking screen and you can't find the damn "x" button ... I can go on and on and on and on ....

Sites need to understand that people visit them, not cows or robots, review what adds you are putting on your site because the outcome has two ways ... get an add block or never see that site again ...

Deleted
    [x] I'm for the use of Adblock

Deleted
    Adblock is just as bad a piracy.

Doesn't mean I don't use adblock, just like I pirate stuff aswell. If they ain't gonna stop it, I'm not gonna tell them to. Honestly I would prefer if everyone kept their mouth shut about adblock, the fewer users with adblock the less likely it is that they are going to do anything about it.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A rumors been going around, though I've yet to find the article on it, that youtube is aiming to try and remove adblock from its site so it can stream adverts both in videos and in advertisements.

There is currently an ongoing debate between people for or against the use of adblock. Those who want adblock removed say it interferes with advertisements allowing for websites to be free as ad revenue pays for many sites ongoing use.
    Those against say adverts slow down their computers and viewing experience and it leads to adware infecting their systems and even making some websites impossible to load. I've experienced this myself before getting adblock installed.

What do you think is the right thing to do though? Show we have the choice to block this adverts that thrust themselves in our faces so the corporations will give these sites free money to host it, or should we carry on blocking adverts, and paying the site creators though things like patreon and other such means?
    I've turned off Noscript and Adblock exactly once. Within 5 minutes a banner ad on WoWhead gave me spyware. I spent the next 90 minutes removing it. Never making that mistake again.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Deleted
    hate ads with a passion. adblock all the way.
    Probably would not watch twitch or youtube without it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Yep, some guys managed to turn his Minecraft Let's Play video into a 20 minute ad on a 16 minute video by another let's player. In fact, I got Adblock, µblock Origin, µblock and Ghostery all running at the same time.
    Jeez, that's insane.

I personally started using Adblock because of advertisements with sound on. Especially those which start after a few minutes on the site. Nowadays Chrome allows you to find which page is making sound, but it used to be very bad if you had multiple tabs and a game open. Where is this annoying sound coming from? Or the ones popping up, moving parts of the page down, and things like that. If ads were simple banners, I would be fine. If they didn't have adware, fine. I do think there's hardly any revenue loss because of Adblock in my specific case though. I never ever click ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    I've turned off Noscript and Adblock exactly once. Within 5 minutes a banner ad on WoWhead gave me spyware. I spent the next 90 minutes removing it. Never making that mistake again.
    Do they actually give spyware without clicking them or is being on the page enough?

10+ Year Old Account
    I accidentally chose the second option (too hungry)

GAAA!!!!!!

I am FOR AdBlock. However from business standpoint and trying to keep a young business afloat, AdBlock is the DEVIL! I guess thats something that the industry will need to learn to live with and find alternative methods of usage of their sites. However hosting/bandwith = expensive, specially if you are running a CDN.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    Do they actually give spyware without clicking them or is being on the page enough?
    There have been cases yes, specially with WoWhead + MMO-C.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I accidentally chose the second option (too hungry)

GAAA!!!!!!

I am FOR AdBlock. However from business standpoint and trying to keep a young business afloat, AdBlock is the DEVIL! I guess thats something that the industry will need to learn to live with and find alternative methods of usage of their sites. However hosting/bandwith = expensive, specially if you are running a CDN.

- - - Updated - - -

There have been cases yes, specially with WoWhead + MMO-C.
    dont forget the ones with malware and trojans.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.