View Poll Results: When obtaining knowledge Why or What is important?

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • What.

5 11.90%
  • The why.

37 88.10%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You're backwards. If the what happens to be that the derivative of x^2 is 2x, the why is much larger.
    Nope, still wrong Why is finite as it relates to what. That is a pretty important distinction, how much rocket fuel is going to be needed to launch a shuttle from into space and to Mars?

What it would take relys on WHY, why would it take WHAT to do it. Not the other way around you have it backwards, What just sets the context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you do realize i was talking about you right?
    What do you mean?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Nope, still wrong Why is finite as it relates to what. That is a pretty important distinction, how much rocket fuel is going to be needed to launch a shuttle from into space and to Mars?

What it would take relys on WHY, why would it take WHAT to do it. Not the other way around you have it backwards, What just sets the context.
    How is Why finite? You can't have what without why and you can't have why without what. You can't even ask the question without knowing WHAT a shuttle, space, and mars etc is. You then can ask the question why. Why relies on what and what relies on why. THEY RELY ON EACHOTHER! EQUAL! =
    Last edited by --Code--; 2015-06-04 at 04:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaze41 View Post
    You can't even ask the question without knowing WHAT a shuttle, space, and mars etc is. You then can ask the question why. Why relies on what and what relies on why. THEY RELY ON EACHOTHER! EQUAL! =
    Nope, but keep trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't even ask the question without knowing WHAT a shuttle, space, and mars etc is. You then can ask the question why. Why relies on what and what relies on why. THEY RELY ON EACHOTHER! EQUAL! =
    I think they;re about equal when it comes to basic definitions, such is what is a planet, but the more complicated a question gets, the more important a why is. Hell, using enough whys can get you a whole new what if you're smart enough Kind of like asking what is genral relativity seems simple now, but the guy that created it needed ot jump through a whole bunch of whys to get there in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, but keep trying.
    Enlighten me. You've obviously thought this through more than I have. Show us your mad argument skills. Put me in my place. Don't respond with a bullshit "Nope, you're wrong, I'm right" counter argument. Are you 3?
    Last edited by --Code--; 2015-06-04 at 04:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The means of why/how would be meaningless without the ends of who, what, where, and when. You can't have one without the other, both are equally important.
    The why/how lead to MANY who/what/where/when, making those who/what/where/when very much less important. You can have one why for many whats, making the singular what not very important in the grand scheme.

Basically you can have the why without one certain what, because there are many other whats that suffice just as well.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all about that How!

/drops mic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    The why/how lead to MANY who/what/where/when, making those who/what/where/when very much less important. You can have one why for many whats, making the singular what not very important in the grand scheme.

Basically you can have the why without one certain what, because there are many other whats that suffice just as well.
    They're both important. Many whys just make that what more complex. Not important. Otherwise we'd be living in space by now and NASA would have the funding it needs.

I view it like a trip. What's are the sights you see and the stops you make... but why is the path that links them all together and determines your route.

I think the journey is more important than where you go so "why" > "what"

10+ Year Old Account
    They're both important. Many whys just make that what more complex. Not important. Otherwise we'd be living in space by now and NASA would have the funding it needs.
    I didn't say that they weren't both important.

What I'm describing is basically laid out like this: The what = the tree. The why = the forest.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

You're still backwards. The what is the specific fuel for that specific mission. The why is still much larger.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say that they weren't both important.

What I'm describing is basically laid out like this: The what = the tree. The why = the forest.
    The original argument was which was more important, what or why? You said why is more important. I argue that they're equally important as you can't have one without the other. Forest (in why terms) = nothing without Tree (in what terms), and vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no, and just no, and this is part of the fucking problem, just because you can accept or answer the question doesn't mean the question fucking changes, neither does the reality of what is being asked and how that is quantified. You do not NEED to know the "What" for WHY, and WHY.

2 + 2 =/= Bubble gum

Not sort of, not kind of, not what about this situation and that other fucking thing, understanding why is critical to knowledge it is literally the foundation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You're still backwards. The what is the specific fuel for that specific mission. The why is still much larger.
    Nope, Why can be a process for many whats, when,s even where's but the fact never changes that Why is finite in relation to whatever subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no, and just no, and this is part of the fucking problem, just because you can accept or answer the question doesn't mean the question fucking changes, neither does the reality of what is being asked and how that is quantified. You do not NEED to know the "What" for WHY, and WHY.

2 + 2 =/= Bubble gum

Not sort of, not kind of, not what about this situation and that other fucking thing, understanding why is critical to knowledge it is literally the foundation.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, Why can be a process for many whats, when,s even where's but the fact never changes that Why is finite in relation to whatever subject.
    You know those things you want to ask "why" about? Those are "whats". You need a subject to question "why" and that is always a "what". Kinda important...

10+ Year Old Account
    The original argument was which was more important, what or why? You said why is more important. I argue that they're equally important as you can't have one without the other. Forest (in why terms) = nothing without Tree (in what terms), and vice versa.
    You are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know those things you want to ask "why" about? Those are "whats". You need a subject to question "why" and that is always a "what".
    No it isn't and the fact you don't KNOW that only cements the point I am telling you, WHY is much more important than what, and this is why. Thinking like this is why I believe we have students that can fill in bubble sheets on a test, but can't score well on SAT's or matters pertaining to critical thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are wrong.
    Not another one. Oh gawd. Abandon logic, run for your lives!

Alright. I'll play with this. Why creates the space for whats.

Example:

What? Kepler said that planetary orbits are ellipses, and that a line segment joining a planet and the Sun sweeps out equal areas during equal intervals of time.
    Why?

Why? Newton explained that it was a consequence of a broader principle.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it isn't and the fact you don't KNOW that only cements the point I am telling you, WHY is much more important than what, and this is why. Thinking like this is why I believe we have students that can fill in bubble sheets on a test, but can't score well on SAT's or matters pertaining to critical thinking.
    Give me one example of a "why" that doesn't pertain to a "what". Thinking like this is why I believe we have stupid people.

Really simple logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not another one. Oh gawd. Abandon logic, run for your lives!
    Dude, Seriously! Nobody is trolling you or trying to insult you but how the FUCK do you NOT understand or appreciate the process of of knowledge as opposed to what you want to know?

Or that the Why is much more important than the what, and not Dependent on "What"!