Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Canadians are ‘stealing’ U.S. Netflix content, says head of largest media provider

Source: http://www.thestar.com/business/tech...tent-bell.html

Bell Media’s new president has a message for Canadians who hide behind virtual private networks to access video streaming services intended for U.S. subscribers, calling the practice “stealing just like stealing anything else.”
    “It has to become socially unacceptable to admit that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix — like throwing garbage out your car window – you just don’t do it.”
    Turcke, formerly Bell’s group president of media sales for local TV and radio, cited her 15-year-old daughter’s discovery of the additional movie and TV content of U.S. Netflix versus the Canadian version while on a ski vacation stateside.

The teenager was able to log onto the U.S. Web streaming service when back home using a U.S.-based VPN to mask her address.
    “She was told she was stealing.” Turcke said. “Suffice to say there is no more VPNing.”
    Broadcasters including Bell Media’s CTV English-language network need the support of government and the federal regulator, she said, noting that the latter plans a summit in the fall to contemplate “illegal discoverability.” In the end, she said, “I believe it is on us.”
    Turcke is expected to bring a new tone to Bell Media, a unit of Montreal-based BCE, after former president Kevin Crull departed suddenly in April amid reports that he meddled in the editorial coverage of a story involving CTV and the federal broadcast regulator.
    I'm not normally rendered speechless, but this comes close!

I read an article that using ad blocker plus is stealing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post

This is what happens when people who don't have a clue about how the internet works have ideas about the internet, and when old forms of market regulation (regionality) gets told that this does not work, and instead of doing the obvious thing, they go ask for a law.
    Regardless it is utterly pointless, and it is not going to work.
    Also, it is not theft, this is not even a piracy is not theft thing, this is just not theft at all.
    ED, this moron is basically asserting that importing a DVD from the US ahead of its regional release date is 'theft' - Gods, what a fucking moron.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2015-06-04 at 07:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yup, and i use my VPN to "Steal" Canadian Netflix too.

I mean i don't really know how paying my 7.99 a month for Netflix is "Stealing" content, but if they want to call it that, i don't really care.
    Do Canadians pay less for netflix?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is U.S. content even blocked from Canada in the first place? Vice Versa too. They could eliminate "stealing" by just sharing the content cross-boarder in the first place. Or pay to access cross-boarder shit. They would make money that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    First Burger King and now this, should have known, I'm really disappointed Canada, now we'll never give Bieber back.

Ok joking aside yep pretty interesting stuff.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Canadians are paying for Netflix who then in turn take their Canadian subscribers' money and buy licensing that only their US subscribers can access.

Who is stealing from whom exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Promethieus View Post
    Why is U.S. content even blocked from Canada in the first place? Vice Versa too. They could eliminate "stealing" by just sharing the content cross-boarder in the first place. Or pay to access cross-boarder shit. They would make money that way.
    Because of licensing issues. German Netflix is shitty.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a point in region-locking anything. Ever. Especially from Canada, whose TV watching is largely U.S. based anyway. I mean, they DO want money, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Source: http://www.thestar.com/business/tech...tent-bell.html

And here we see the utter hypocrisy and total idiocy of the IP holders in large media conglomerates: watching the content they want people to watch , but not watching it '"right" is "stealing". We're well on the way to the land of Max Headroom, where turning off your TV is illegal - yet another case of "felony interference with a business model". The Right of Corporations to make a Profit (in precisely the way they choose) is the new Divine Right of Kings.

I'm not inherently opposed to either capitalism or corporations, but the way they're practiced (abused, really) in the 21st Century is going to doom both concepts to extinction.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Because of licensing issues. German Netflix is shitty.
    meh, greedy companies need to knock that shit off. There's no reason to region lock. After having my views changed a bit, I am ok with pirating when companies pull that shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Nope, same price as the US pays.
    then, by definition of the word, it is Mr moron turke who is in fact stealing money from the Canadian people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Promethieus View Post
    It has to do with content licensing. For example, if there is a major cable provider in your country that has an exclusive license on HBO stuff, Netflix won't show that (like happens in Belgium with Telenet) because they legally cannot.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    lol, another "I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WORKS, BURN IT!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    meh, greedy companies need to knock that shit off. There's no reason to region lock. After having my views changed a bit, I am ok with pirating when companies pull that shit.
    This thread made me get Hola so I can watch US netflix. AMERICAN NETFLIX IS BEAUTIFUL. So much more stuff that I used to stream in crappy quality.

And this is why everyone should pirate. These cunts need to be taught a lesson. Fuck the middle men
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

TL;DR, Canadians using VPNs & proxies to watch US version of Netflix are getting access to much more content. This hurts the bottom line of the price gouging content providers in Canada (the largest being Bell Media, what a coincidence ), therefore we (Bell) need to get the government to strongarm Canadians into being forced to pay for overpriced TV packages if they want to watch these shows and movies.
    • Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
      Fashion magazines not trying to appeal to men is misogyny.
    • lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    This thread made me get Hola so I can watch US netflix. AMERICAN NETFLIX IS BEAUTIFUL. So much more stuff that I used to stream in crappy quality.
    honestly, I havent used Netflix in about 8 years. They screwed me out of a dvd I needed for a class, didnt inform me until the day before it was due and because it was some obscure documentary, I wasnt able to find another copy to do it so I ended up getting a C on the paper.

I will not sign up for Netflix unless they can get the old Top Gear crew together again.

Maybe the dipshits should stop pretending that region-locking content is a good idea in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Maybe the dipshits should stop pretending that region-locking content is a good idea in the first place?
    If Sky has bought the license in Germany, Netflix can't just ignore it.

Sometimes geo-locking is necessary if they don't want to get sued to hell and back.