Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Romania's prime minister

The Romanian PM is close to being prosecuted for money laundering, tax evasion, having signed fake papers and so on.
    He's leading an opposition government, and the house of representatives voted today that he can't be prosecuted, immunity and stuff.
    He also claims he'll bring 10x more people to any meeting his opponents might start.

How would this be dealt with where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTed View Post
    The Romanian PM is close to being prosecuted for money laundering, tax evasion, having signed fake papers and so on.
    He's leading an opposition government, and the house of representatives voted today that he can't be prosecuted, immunity and stuff.
    He also claims he'll bring 10x more people to any meeting his opponents might start.

Germany's ex-president was accused of some shit like tax evasion, or something something with his house, decades ago. He had to resign because of it. If Merkel were to be accused of GTA style crimes like your PM, she'd have to stand trial pretty quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait until is mandate ends and then prossecute him. That's what we have donne with our previous PM, José Sócrates, here in Portugal, is current home is Évora jail, and he is still being investigated for pretty much the same stuff your PM is being acused, even that he still formely innocent until the trial, he has been arrested to avoid investigation perturbations.

Deleted
    I guess that your assumptions are based on the fact that the justice system in Romania is independent, which is not the case. It's politically manipulated by the party who currently tries to take over (by any means) and rule the country...

15+ Year Old Account
    Immunity/discharge the ultimate bullcrap ranging from some companies boards to PM's.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Votum of Distrust would happen damn fast and they would get sacked.

There is only one thing germans can't stand more then their neighbour having more stuff then themself
    it's rowdy behaviour.

Nope its not because they kill humans it's because it shows disregard for decency and the rules.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2015-06-09 at 01:27 PM.

Deleted
    He won't get away with it. If there is one thing romanians hate more than corruption is a pro-russian corrupt politician.
    He's only delaying the inevitable.

Deleted
    Ok, the OP is clearly a fan of the political force that is against the PM's party. So let me tell you what is REALLY going on.

At the last elections, two opposing parties won power: the leftists (the PM's party) won the Parliament and the rightists (the president's party) won the...presidency. These parties are rated pretty much 50-50 in the polls.

Now comes the problem. The president's party is sick of representing the opposition in the Parliament and they want to acquire power there as well. The problem is they can't empeach the PM because his party has the majority and he will never be empeached by vote. So they are looking at an alternate way of getting rid of him.

Enter a controversial character named Codruta Kovesi, which is the head of the National Anticorruption Department and a prosecutor. Now this lady was a well known servant of the worst president Romania ever had, Traian Basescu, and after Basescu was no more president, she moved on to serve the next president which would be the current one named Klaus Iohannis (of German descent) aka Franz.

This lady is trying to push some extremely ludicrous accusations that hold no water if you're not a brainwashed supporter of the rightist parties. The PM is being accused that 10 years ago (lol) his law firm had made invoices for another firm while not actually performing the services on the invoice. How exactly is that a problem of corruption and not the object of a civil lawsuit, is anyone's guess.

The opposition is making a huge deal out of this because it's their only shot at getting rid of the PM, regardless it's not legal at all. They hope to incite the population into a frenzy against the PM and make him resign, while forgetting the PM is supported by at least 50% of the population.

So now Franz and his gang are trying their best, more or less legal, to get rid of prime minister Victor Ponta.

Funny fact. If Ponta was indeed guilty, the ex-president Basescu who RULED Romania with all the services serving him and only him, kinda like a mini-dictator, would have "executed" the shit out of Ponta if he had the smallest legal reasons justify it. Since not even Basescu himself could find even rumors of Ponta's guilt, I doubt Kovesi suddenly invented the wheel.

It's all a political sham.
    Last edited by mmoc10aaec26b2; 2015-06-09 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestozaur View Post
    I guess that your assumptions are based on the fact that the justice system in Romania is independent, which is not the case. It's politically manipulated by the party who currently tries to take over (by any means) and rule the country...
    When we speaking of politicians, we speaking of lobbies, it doesn't matter the country where you live, there are always something moving on your back... But sometimes all it takes, its a judge, an investigator, a attorney with the will to investigate those corrupte dudes... Like in your country, our ex-PM went dawn with a jounalistic investigation... Later the investigators that were in charge of the case discovered that he even manipulated some newspapers in is favour, even that he was no longer a PM.

The pressure of your society will bring him dawn, at least i hope so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post

The pressure of your society will bring him dawn, at least i hope so.
    Kinda hard when for every ounce of pressure to bring him down, there is an equal quantity telling him to stand up. The PM is not rockbottom in the polls, tbh. It would be a mistake to resign and it would just give satisfaction to Franz&co.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable man View Post

The opposition is making a huge deal out of this because it's their only shot at getting rid of the PM, regardless it's not legal at all. They hope to incite the population into a frenzy against the PM and make him resign, while forgetting the PM is supported by at least 50% of the population.
    They don't have to do anything, the population already hates his guts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    They don't have to do anything, the population already hates his guts.
    While not a fan of Ponta myself, I'll be damned if I just let Basescu's ex-henchmen and neo-Basescu (Iohannis) once again hold all power. That same kind of shit happened last time.

Deleted
    While not a fan of Ponta myself, I'll be damned if I just let Basescu's ex-henchmen and neo-Basescu (Iohannis) once again hold all power. That same kind of shit happened last time.
    As if there is any trustworthy politician who can hold power in the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Wait until is mandate ends and then prossecute him. That's what we have donne with our previous PM, José Sócrates, here in Portugal, is current home is Évora jail, and he is still being investigated for pretty much the same stuff your PM is being acused, even that he still formely innocent until the trial, he has been arrested to avoid investigation perturbations.
    one in a hundred, and the fact that it was needed for his political career to be over, speaks volumes

He'll land on his feet as a mayor of some city or town in Quebec. They love those kinds of people.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    one in a hundred, and the fact that it was needed for his political career to be over, speaks volumes
    Still better than Russia though...
    For some reason that doesn't make me feel any better. Maybe because it's not much of an improvement.

It will take decades to reduce the corruption levels in Eastern Europe to acceptable levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Still better than Russia though...
    For some reason that doesn't make me feel any better. Maybe because it's not much of an improvement.

It will take decades to reduce the corruption levels in Eastern Europe to acceptable levels.
    You mean legalize it? I am not sure the level of corruption in US is any lower in absolute volumes, its just better concealed and integrated into the legal and financial system.

We're experiencing a similar person in my country. An ex-president with links to mafia and paramilitary groups, leading the extreme right in the senate and being practically immune to the law.
    I hope Romania has a better time dealing with their problematic leader than people in Colombia do.

10+ Year Old Account

Wait...how can he lead an "opposition government"? You're either in position (in government) or in opposition (not part of the government).

Anyhow, it wouldn't be dealt with, since there is no way a PM could get him / herself immunity from prosecution for actual crimes.

Ok, the OP is clearly a fan of the political force that is against the PM's party. So let me tell you what is REALLY going on.
    Where did I say I have any sort of love for the "others"? Victor Ponta = current news, Traian Basescu = older news at the moment.
    I love my country, I loathe its corruption, I'd love to see ALL the corrupted behind bars, be it politicians, TV personalities and so on.
    People not hating each other for political/religious/whatever choices or reasons would also be an amazing thing to see.

edit: The intent was not to spark wars on the forum, but to see what's it like elsewhere. Mods, sorry for whatever trouble, I'm gonna stop now.
    Last edited by RedTed; 2015-06-09 at 07:19 PM.