Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I want to upgrade my Playstation 4 hardrive what ones do you recommend.

Like the title says I want to upgrade my Playstation 4 hardrive what ones do you recommend.

I have considered a hybrid or normal HD. Budget is $80 or less that counts shipping. The more space the happyer I am. From what I have seen getting a Hybrid or SSD isn't really much of a peformance gain when it comes to loading.

So any Hard Drives you guys recommend. Places I like to buy from is amazon,newegg and Tigerdirect.

Have you guys done it and is it worth it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get one of the $45-$50 1tb 7200rpm deals on Newegg and you're golden. Its too bad Samsung doesn't make regular HDDs anymore. The one in my PC has been kicking for 5+ years now.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Does the PS4 allow external hard drives yet?

If so, the HGST Touro works flawlessly for my XBox One.

If not, this one might be one of the cheaper 2.5 drives that has 7200rpm.

Thanks for the replys guys. I like Segate and WD the most when it comes to brands. I have considered just getting a 1TB for right now.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    Can it take an ssd?

Wait..wasn't not having to buy new stuff for your device the reason why people don't buy PC's oO?

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Wait..wasn't not having to buy new stuff for your device the reason why people don't buy PC's oO?
    /like /5more

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the 2TB one by Seagate.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup...+plus+2tb+slim

This one in the case turned out a few dollars cheaper, all you have to do is remove it from the case and it will go in the PS4. Works perfect. No problems. I did it about a month ago.

This is why I buy discs and not download the content

( has resale value and space )

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post

9/10 games have better performance on the harddrive than if the disc needs to be read, which is partially what this conversation is about. See: GTA 5 360. Install disc to USB, the play disc to HDD. Game gains 3-4 fps, drops a few seconds off load times and no online free roam microstutter.

OP, are you absolutely sure SSD doesn't give any kind of performance increase? I've only ever heard that it does.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Even when having the disc these new consoles still install tons of gigs of stuff on the HD. I only have like 5 digital games and 5 disc games on the PS4, with the usual array of Netflix services and my HD is full.
    BAD WOLF

get a western digital drive. They are the best company for hard drivers in my honest opinion. I have about 3 still working that are over 7 years old.

The disk is acting more like a key/install CD than anything else. Most (if not all) of the game is still put into the hard drive.

The install on consoles can range from 40-50gig and after that all the disk does is spin once so the system knows you own the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    there is a difference in spending $50 for more HD space and $200+ for a new video card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post

OP, are you absolutely sure SSD doesn't give any kind of performance increase? I've only ever heard that it does.
    Maybe I wasn't clear I made the post halfway asleep.

SSD's do give a performance increase on loading times for most games. The thing is tho you lose space and the cost is much higher. The difference in a SSD and a 7200RPM HD on the ps4 isn't much for most games. Kinda why I rather spend $100 get a 2TB 5400 *That oddy enough almost equals a SSHD in performance" then to spend $100 on a 250gig SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure its a 2.5" drive, else it will not physically fit inside the PS4. Other than that, anything above 1TB would work neatly, id recommend some form of western digital drive.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Make sure its a 2.5" drive, else it will not physically fit inside the PS4. Other than that, anything above 1TB would work neatly, id recommend some form of western digital drive.
    You can put a 3.5 if you buy the thing for it but its cost and a HD cost is insane mite as well just get a 2.5 lol.

But ya.
    Been looking around at Seagates and WD drives.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you feel brave, you can buy a 2.5" external HDD and take it apart. It'll be cheaper than a standalone 2.5", granted you'll have no warranty and I'm not sure if it's 9.5mm or less in height.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation...PS4_Hard_Drive
    has all the base info and a video of how to do it.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I think I am going to try to get one on black friday or at lease a black friday sell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Thanks for all the replys guys. I think I am going to try to get one on black friday or at lease a black friday sell.
    Also, my cousin uses a seagate 1tb hybrid drive in his PS4, fits perfectly and works great and was cheap enough ($70 I believe?). When i get a PS4 (I currently use his because fuck wasting extra money if I don't have to, but will finally break if I can get one with 2-3 games for $300), I"ll probably snag one as well.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!