Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I dont know what you people expect from doom besides mindless killing of deamons and zombies and bad shit along with collecting keykards and finding hidden doors. Thats all i expect, thats all i want. To many games nowadays dont let you just mindlessly kill.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    Go watch the video with your eyes open this time. One easy copied assets to spot is the plasma gun. Here's the DOOM 3 version for reference.

The new one has a higher polygon count, but they reused the same base asset from more than a decade ago. Which, again, would be fine for a sequel being made a couple years after the previous one, but this is supposed to be a franchise reboot.
    What the fuck are you on about. OF COURSE they are going to look similar but with a higher Polygon count. They are the Same Gun.

That is like saying SWTOR is a direct copy Art asset wise to Jedi Academy because the Lightsabers look alike.

Jesus the shit people come up with on this site these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I dont know what you people expect from doom besides mindless killing of deamons and zombies and bad shit along with collecting keykards and finding hidden doors. Thats all i expect, thats all i want. To many games nowadays dont let you just mindlessly kill.
    Well there's Hatred but I've been told that's mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post

Well, Doom 3 wasn't actually a good game for mindless killing because the level design and weapon feel were horrendous, the engine couldn't support massive waves of enemies, and the game was trying to hit suspenseful beats that weren't earned. This looks like more of the same except with the cinematic kills breaking the flow of action and adding more unnecessary modern fluff to the purity of Doom.

Doom 3 was successful, face it. Even the people that hated it for shifting too far from the original Doom enjoyed it. Of course they're giong to incorporate elements from ALL of the franchises in the series, because that's what the MAJORITY likes. BUT the mindless killing, fast paced combat is still there!

Honestly some people will never be happy, and they'll keep complaining until the developers "re-release" Doom 1...but then the players will say "but this is the same as Doom 1...", at which point the developers commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lareeyon View Post
    Doom 3 was successful, face it. Even the people that hated it for shifting too far from the original Doom enjoyed it.
    Is the first sentence supposed to be evidence for the second?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Is the first sentence supposed to be evidence for the second?
    You could've just asked for proof but I see how these forums work. No matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#Reception

You could've just asked for proof but I see how these forums work. No matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_3#Reception
    Let me rephrase that. I am one of the people who didn't like Doom 3 for shifting too far from the Doom design. It also sucks on its own merits as a game, though.

Deleted
    Looks like Doom 3 with playstyle of old Doom, just more animations.

Looks amazing!

I grew up around Doom and once I was comprehensive enough to use the map builder, I made maps that were ridiculous in terms of monster count.
    Doom 3 was descent and had excellent lighting for the time.
    The new SnapMap system looks quite similar to how Timesplitters' map maker worked. I'm excited for it. Especially how frantic the game seems to be.
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

I'm amazed how much this is like a HD version of Brutal Doom.

Like... did they literally look at Brutal Doom and go "Let's make that, in HD."? Either way, it's exactly what I was hoping for from Doom 3, so I'll be buying this if they've got the feel of the combat just right.

People complaining about it being a generic shooter are missing the point completely. People didn't buy Doom 3 for a storyline or for a horror game, they were expecting a frantic, demon-slaying experience, running around at 60 km/h, while firing a plasma gun into a wave of 10~15 enemies at a time. THAT is what Doom represents. Doom was like a rogue-like FPS before that was even a thing, just missing the randomization element.

Modern games such as Ziggurat are trying really hard to recapture the feel of playing a Doom/Hexen/Heretic game in the modern age, because so many FPS games these days have just become amusement park rides, taking themselves too seriously. I 100% approve of Doom going back to its roots and showing the rest how it's done. To me, the graphics look good, the gameplay looks good and that's all that matters in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Go watch the video with your eyes open this time. One easy copied assets to spot is the plasma gun. Here's the DOOM 3 version for reference.
    Sorry, but you're clearly the one that needs to open your eyes. The outline is vaguely similar, but not even the silhouettes would match up if placed over one another. It's not just a higher polycount, it's a different model altogether, with a different visual design. The asset clearly hasn't been reused at all.

Last edited by Shinzai; 2015-06-15 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Further edit: Added gameplay video from Eurogamer at E3

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doom 3 was successful, face it. Even the people that hated it for shifting too far from the original Doom enjoyed it. Of course they're giong to incorporate elements from ALL of the franchises in the series, because that's what the MAJORITY likes. BUT the mindless killing, fast paced combat is still there!

Honestly some people will never be happy, and they'll keep complaining until the developers "re-release" Doom 1...but then the players will say "but this is the same as Doom 1...", at which point the developers commit suicide.
    I am an old school Doom fan through and through, and I thought Doom 3 was an insult to the franchise. It tried to be scary but it wasn't, the Imps especially, were basically annoying at best and were as easily dodged as in the old games, not to mention a variety of enemies were removed like the Spider Mastermind, Arachnoids and they barely used enemies like the Baron of Hell and its weaker brother the Baron Knight weren't used at all. No Spectres either, who were one of the enemies I feared most in the old Doom games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Sorry, but you're clearly the one that needs to open your eyes. The outline is vaguely similar, but not even the silhouettes would match up if placed over one another. It's not just a higher polycount, it's a different model altogether, with a different visual design. The asset clearly hasn't been reused at all.
    Facts have no place here good sir.

In other news, this looks fun enough, if not a bit stupidly gratuitous with some of the blood / guts stuff. If I had to nitpick at all, it'd be 'what's up with this pause the action to switch weapons bullshit', and that the lighting is a bit too pretty.

Also seems like it will have some pretty high system requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am probably more excited for this game than I am for LotV.

And Snapmap could be a dream come true if I can learn to master it. Level editing in Doom 3 was pretty much nonexistent compared to classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I am an old school Doom fan through and through, and I thought Doom 3 was an insult to the franchise. It tried to be scary but it wasn't, the Imps especially, were basically annoying at best and were as easily dodged as in the old games, not to mention a variety of enemies were removed like the Spider Mastermind, Arachnoids and they barely used enemies like the Baron of Hell and its weaker brother the Baron Knight weren't used at all. No Spectres either, who were one of the enemies I feared most in the old Doom games.
    It is Hell Knight, not baron night. And they were in the game especially if you play the BFG Edition. The actual Baron of Hell was cut or changed into the Hell knight.

I did see a spectre in the new gameplay video. It looks like though they combined the pinky and spectre into its own enemy. Pinkstre?

Spider demons were actually going to be enemies in Quake 4 but were cut.

That just leaves the poor Pain Elemental.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2015-06-15 at 04:18 PM.

Ok, gameplay videos at E3 are scripted so i don't even think we will see the same level on release but i'm happy to see a more shooting centric game where strafe is your friend and you can go man mode on demons. Executions are a nice touch and not too long to avoid them being annoying in the long run and i hope the double jump will be used to reach secret areas too, can we have them back, please?

Oh yeah, this time ID didn't forget the super shotgun... Hi vanilla Doom 3.

The graphics suck. JUST KIDDING. lol

Looks awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Every single thing in the game play, visually, was straight from DOOM 3. A little extra polish on the models, but that's it. Also, that video was likely the first 6 minutes of the game, which was faster paced in DOOM 3 too. We don't have enough info to know that we won't see the horror story element, "hallway crawler with the flashlight", in this game too.

The new one has a higher polygon count, but they reused the same base asset from more than a decade ago. Which, again, would be fine for a sequel being made a couple years after the previous one, but this is supposed to be a franchise reboot.
    Then... Why exactly are you complaining...?

Look at ANY OTHER GUN and see if it even looks the same. Rocket Launcher looks different, the regular Shotgun looks different, the Chainsaw looks different, Chaingun looks different... So yeah. One gun looks similar... >_>...
    Last edited by RedDragon4275; 2015-06-15 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

the gameplay trailer was clearly pandering...but I'm ok with that, because that shit was fuckin wicked lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I am not impressed. Just like Doom 3, it seems too serious, dark and gory. There isn't much of arcade feeling Doom 1/2 gave.

This is da game:

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Honestly, I am not impressed. Just like Doom 3, it seems too serious, dark and gory. There isn't much of arcade feeling Doom 1/2 gave.

This is da game:

-snip-
    You can't really say it seems too serious yet, at least from a Story point of view... I don't even think the game play logic is that serious seeing as how you're punching holes through Demons and using a Demon Grunts own foot to kick him in the face.

Compared to Doom 3, I could post a black screen and claim it's a Screenshot from the majority of Doom 3. :P So far, it doesn't seem to have lighting issues.

As for Gore... Given the console difference I would say it's probably just as gory as what Doom 1 and 2 were. The video you posted yourself... How many half blown up bodies are there? Doesn't seem like much of a difference to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.