Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doom with co-op?
    If you're a bit familiar with Doom at all you should have know 'Doomguy' is a one-man-army.
    Curious how you got the impression it would be a co-op game.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Deleted
    You can make your own co-op "campaign" in snapmap, but the campaign as developed by id/bethesda is single player only.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    Doom with co-op?
    If you're a bit familiar with Doom at all you should have know 'Doomguy' is a one-man-army.
    Curious how you got the impression it would be a co-op game.
    Doom 1/2 could be played multiplayer, with enemies present. You just had to watch out for friendly fire (and exploding barrels near your "friend" ).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Doom 1/2 could be played multiplayer, with enemies present. You just had to watch out for friendly fire (and exploding barrels near your "friend" ).
    If I remember correctly, there was an option to prevent friendly fire; or maybe it was added in one of the later ports we with my brother played a lot. But anyway, it was a lot of fun. Granted, multiplayer differed from single player quite a bit; there were more monsters around, but on the flip side, if you died, you would be resurrected with a pistol, so, in theory, you couldn't lose. In practice, on Nightmare you could get stuck in a situation in which too many Lost Souls were flying around (Pain Elementals can increase their number indefinitely) for you to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    In practice, on Nightmare you could get stuck in a situation in which too many Lost Souls were flying around (Pain Elementals can increase their number indefinitely) for you to do anything.
    Actually

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_soul_limit

The problem with nightmare is that after a monster kills you it goes into a idle state and needs to be reawakened. YOu could take advantage of this and make your coop trek easier. Still though NM even with Co-Op was very very hard.

Anyone make maps? I just finished my only one I will ever make a couple weeks ago.

someone make the last level from doom 2. Put on God mode and choose a type of demon to fight other demons! Just run around and make them hit each other. Used to do that back in the day, was awesome haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Actually

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_soul_limit

The problem with nightmare is that after a monster kills you it goes into a idle state and needs to be reawakened. YOu could take advantage of this and make your coop trek easier. Still though NM even with Co-Op was very very hard.
    Hmm... Perhaps it was a feature of the port we were playing on (GZDoom, I think, but can't be sure now), but I vividly remember the Lost Souls effectively locking any movements, because there were just that many of them.

There is a video on Youtube of a guy doing Plutonia Experiment on Nightmare alone, speed running at that... I have no idea how he did it, since I couldn't finish that module even on Ultra Violence.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm stuck... I got to the part in Vega Central Processing where you have to destroy 4 tubes, and I just cannot do it. I've managed to clear 2 waves once, but the 3rd one was too much - and there are no autosaves between the waves, so, once I am dead, I have to start all over.

Is there some trick to it? I've tried 10 times, and there are just too many demons and not enough health supply around. I ragequit in the end.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    The area is pretty big, just stay mobile. I kept running circles around the room until all the demons from a wave where down before destroying the next tube.

There are one or two spheres as well, I kept those as a last resort when stuff got too crowded.
    Just stay mobile, make laps :-)
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280

10+ Year Old Account
    The area is pretty big, just stay mobile. I kept running circles around the room until all the demons from a wave where down before destroying the next tube.

There are one or two spheres as well, I kept those as a last resort when stuff got too crowded.
    Just stay mobile, make laps :-)
    Eh, I keep moving all the time... The large demons aren't the problem, they are easy to avoid - but all those countless Imps and Hell Razers get me. No matter where I am, they have a clear shot at me, and very hard to dodge, given how many of them there are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried close combat with the (double barreled) shotgun? Imps are easy to one-shot of course, the Hell Razers too if you're close enough.
    I too failed a few times there tho! It's a chaotic part to complete, I agree on that.

Is there a mode where you can play as a demon from the start? I've never gotten a demon-transformation powerup in multiplayer so far.

Eh, I keep moving all the time... The large demons aren't the problem, they are easy to avoid - but all those countless Imps and Hell Razers get me. No matter where I am, they have a clear shot at me, and very hard to dodge, given how many of them there are.
    There is a berserk powerup and roughly three BFG pickups. What I did was destroy all the tubes rather than through waves, use BFG on the way to berserk as needed, and tear everyone up with berserk that I can. Instead of an endurance, it is a sprint; that is what the BFG works best as, and berserk just annihilates everyone (except cacodemons, hitting them is a pain at times).

And I don't know if it bugs out the spawns, where you aren't getting all spawns at once but only the 'last' destroyed tube's spawn set, or the BFG just handles them that quickly.
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible! ~Kamina, Gurren Lagann

...You'll kill my dick?! What the hell does that even mean? I'll kill your dick! ~Grayson Hunt, Bulletstorm

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried close combat with the (double barreled) shotgun? Imps are easy to one-shot of course, the Hell Razers too if you're close enough.
    I too failed a few times there tho! It's a chaotic part to complete, I agree on that.
    I mostly use simple Shotgun against them, since its mod 1-shots small groups of them. But the problem is not as much killing them, as dodging their projectiles/lazers, when they shoot at me from multiple directions at once. Given that I also have to fight off tougher monsters at the same time, and those also come from all directions, it becomes incredibly hard to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu125 View Post
    There is a berserk powerup and roughly three BFG pickups. What I did was destroy all the tubes rather than through waves, use BFG on the way to berserk as needed, and tear everyone up with berserk that I can. Instead of an endurance, it is a sprint; that is what the BFG works best as, and berserk just annihilates everyone (except cacodemons, hitting them is a pain at times).

And I don't know if it bugs out the spawns, where you aren't getting all spawns at once but only the 'last' destroyed tube's spawn set, or the BFG just handles them that quickly.
    That's what I was going to do when I get to playing it again. I watched this part on Youtube in the world first Ultra Nightmare playthrough, and the player juts destroyed all 4 tubes at once, then placed 2 perfect BFG shots, and after that he only had to deal with a few remnants.

It feels like a bit of a cheese to me though. BFG deals way too much damage in incredibly large area, so I tend to use it only if nothing else helps. This might be such case.

I haven't managed to find Berserk anywhere though. It would be really helpful, especially in dealing with Summoners, Barons of Hell and Mancubi.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished the game. I cheesed my way through the 4 tubes place with destroying all of them at once and then placing 3 BFG shots in the middle of the room, after which I barely had any enemies to fight left. The last level though was brutal, and the final boss made me rage...

What can I say... It is one of the best FPS games I've ever played. Even if it isn't quite on the same level as Doom/Doom 2 were at their time, it is pretty close. I haven't seen any FPS games since 2003 which I actually liked; this is the first one! Hopefully it will move developers to delve more in the "arcade FPS" genre, possibly recreating old classics such as Hexen, Heretic, Dark Forces, etc.

10+ Year Old Account

Just finished the game. I cheesed my way through the 4 tubes place with destroying all of them at once and then placing 3 BFG shots in the middle of the room, after which I barely had any enemies to fight left. The last level though was brutal, and the final boss made me rage...

What can I say... It is one of the best FPS games I've ever played. Even if it isn't quite on the same level as Doom/Doom 2 were at their time, it is pretty close. I haven't seen any FPS games since 2003 which I actually liked; this is the first one! Hopefully it will move developers to delve more in the "arcade FPS" genre, possibly recreating old classics such as Hexen, Heretic, Dark Forces, etc.
    Awesome! Congrats For me too this was the most fun I had in a FPS since... Well since a long long time. Wolfenstein The New Order is pretty damn awesome too, but a tiny bit slower on the action. Playing Doom gave me the same exciting feeling as old games like Blood, Rise of the Triad, Quake, Painkiller to some extend. Fast paced and loads of blood everywhere :-)

There are rumors that the job listing on iD Software's site might be a new installment of Quake.
    If that's the case, and if they take Doom as a red line we might be up for anther treat soon :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess who got the demo!! and say Doom used for 40 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Too much fps and/or unstable fps for some people can make fast movements and turns in the screen quite unconfortable and even make some people sick.

Motion blur simulates what your brain does when the eyes can't "see fast enough" to capture and process each individual position of something moving fast. Just try waving your hand in front of you very fast and see the motion blur (especially if you're not focusing on the hand).

Motion blur also gives a cinema / movie like aesthetic.

Video: Frame Rate - How Does Frame Rate Affect Gameplay? - Extra Credits

Hmm. I'll have to check the settings. I'm playing with a large monitor on my desk and only play it in limited sessions due to getting nausea.

Other than that, I enjoy the game.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Guess who got the demo!! and say Doom used for 40 bucks!
    its 40$ new

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    its 40$ new
    where:?
    /10

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    where:?
    /10
    well it was for consoles and on amazon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post