Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Figured that since the vast majority of us are young adults (while some are even older with some rust in your shots), that a discussion like this would be insightful.

Basically, before I make any decision, I always ask myself Wiifm (what's in it for me). If i'm about to spend money (wiffm). Before I decide whether or not I do someone a favor, Wiffm again.

It's not necessarily because i'm self-centered. It's just that doing so, IMO, forces people to actually sit and think about what they're doing instead of just doing something because they're expected to or because of impulses.
    Sure thinking things through before acting is always a good idea, but only doing someone a favor if you get something out of it is just you being selfish.
    Last edited by zephid; 2015-06-22 at 06:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure people have. In some way, shape, or form, they have.

You're also acting as if previous actions people take aren't taken into account when you ask this. That's just not true.

If they did something that really helped me out, I want to keep those people around.
    BigZoMan it doesn't matter who you know or what you can predict, a person you never though of you did something for might some point save your life, maybe they don't maybe it someone else you know. The point is some policies and ideas are better than others, and WIIFM, isn't one of them that is good in general.

See this

Its penicillin, and your philosophy if unchecked, that place you had lunch the other day at that spot run by your homie who also subscribed to WIIFM when he decided to cook whatever it was to cut cost to serve your sandwich, you now have dysentery, and it's a mutated strand that's stronger than normal.

You live in dumbfuckestan, so nobody has health insurance anymore because WIIFM, you feel like you are going to die, and all the money you have to your name is $1000, and unless you pay 1200$ for those pills you are likely going to be in a lot of pain shitting yourself all over the place, possibly die or both, what are you going to do?

And there is no layaway plan, so Good luck!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    BigZoMan it doesn't matter who you know or what you can predict, a person you never though of you did something for might some point save your life, maybe they don't maybe it someone else you know. The point is some policies and ideas are better than others, and WIIFM, isn't one of them that is good in general.

See this (image here)

Its penicillin, and your philosophy if unchecked, that place you had lunch the other day at that spot run by your homie who also subscribed to WIIFM when he decided to cook whatever it was to cut cost to serve your sandwich, you now have dysentery, and it's a mutated strand that's stronger than normal.

You live in dumbfuckestan, so nobody has health insurance anymore because WIIFM, you feel like you are going to die, and all the money you have to your name is $1000, and unless you pay 1200$ for those pills you are likely going to be in a lot of pain shitting yourself all over the place, possibly die or both, what are you going to do?

Dumbfuckestan health insurance sounds too real.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

See this

"Hey mom, can I borrow 200$."

Mom: "Wiifm"?

Me: You won't have to bury your only son.

Mom: Here ya go.

"Dumfuckestan". I love it.

Some people just think "OMG I want it" without thinking "okay, why do I need to spend 500 dollars for an Iphone."

Whole family has done it, and i'm perfectly fine with a standard phone that has a thumb keyboard thingy to text from virgin mobile, for example.
    But "what's in it for me" is - "I want it"!

Yes, buying a new iPhone every time a guy in a turtleneck waves one at some cameras is daft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hey mom, can I borrow 200$."

Mom: "Wiifm"?

Me: You won't have to bury your only son.

Mom: Here ya go.

"Dumfuckestan". I love it.
    HAHAHA that might work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But "what's in it for me" is - "I want it"!

Yes, buying a new iPhone every time a guy in a turtleneck waves one at some cameras is daft.
    Maybe, but people buy a lot of stupid shit, some peoples stupid shit just cost a lot less, Like The Dollar Store those things are like a beacon calling their kind.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    HAHAHA that might work.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but people buy a lot of stupid shit, some peoples stupid shit just cost a lot less, Like The Dollar Store those things are like a beacon calling their kind.
    Point being, selfish motives aren't always about resource gain and cost. They can very well be based in seeing people you're close to not getting harmed, but it's still selfish at the end of the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point being, selfish motives aren't always about resource gain and cost. They can very well be based in seeing people you're close to not getting harmed, but it's still selfish at the end of the day.
    No your point was that you would ask your mom for an extra $200, but you did indeed answer the question, so, I am not going intellectually dishonest and cheat by not recognizing it, but personally, I wouldn't rather live in a society that subscribed to WIIFM policies.

We already do in many instances, but I don't think its a practical application towards a better society.

Is this going to evolve into a philosophical "There is no true altruism" debate...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.