Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    What? they only give you 8 Souls out of 10 for free? outrageous !!!

What? i have to spend 2 weeks "grinding" stuff i'm already going to be playing? outrageous!! just give me a game where i get charged a sub, get charged for new mounts and pets, get charged to transfer servers per char...that's all i ask
    Hey I mean it could show up in other games too! What you wanted to play feral as a druid in WoW? Too bad! Cough up more money! Yeah sorry, having class mechanics locked behind paywalls is bullshit. If it is a free game the free mechanics should have all class abilities/specs/souls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You do realize that you can easily earn enough plat to buy REX once every few weeks through little more than doing minion missions twice a day and selling the materials you find, right?

All in all, neither those expansion souls nor the earring slots are required to do the vast majority of the content present in the game.

Sure, it's not as "free" as TERA or Aion, for example, but it's still one of the best models on the market. Literally zero content is locked away from players.
    And that is your opinion but it is not one I share. So how long by using your method does it take to unlock the earring slot? Months? Locking out things such as souls and gear slots for your character is weak. I can understand locking out extra bank tabs, bag space, the amount of money you can carry before hitting a cap or whatever. But if it is something that limits my ability to play a character then no thanks. And if that is the type of people running this next game then I'll 100% pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Hey I mean it could show up in other games too! What you wanted to play feral as a druid in WoW? Too bad! Cough up more money! Yeah sorry, having class mechanics locked behind paywalls is bullshit. If it is a free game the free mechanics should have all class abilities/specs/souls.
    1. Can't really compare to a P2P game.

2. These are "expansion" souls. So just like you'd have to normally pay for expansions, even in some F2P games like LOTRO or EQ2, you have to pay for these souls. The bonus is that you get all the content from the expansion for free, and that you can still purchase these souls buying REX in-game.

You're quibbling over, "THIS OVERWHELMINGLY FREE GAME ISN'T 100% FREE ABOUT EVERYTHING!", which is silly.

Blue hOle made this game?

Pass. I'm tired of their backwards development with TERA so I'm not going to watch it in another game
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Was that a rift at 1:25? Pass.

- - - Updated - - -

Rifts were the first things wrong with Rift.
    The 2nd thing wrong with Rift was the first major patch that just gutted tons of classes and nerfed all sorts of crap. It killed the game for a ton of us playing it in one fell swoop.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Can't really compare to a P2P game.

2. These are "expansion" souls. So just like you'd have to normally pay for expansions, even in some F2P games like LOTRO or EQ2, you have to pay for these souls. The bonus is that you get all the content from the expansion for free, and that you can still purchase these souls buying REX in-game.

You're quibbling over, "THIS OVERWHELMINGLY FREE GAME ISN'T 100% FREE ABOUT EVERYTHING!", which is silly.
    No I'm quibbling over important aspects of the game that most games have for free are locked behind pay walls. I can't think of many F2P games that do this to class abilities/gear slots. Yes I get that some games that are free (Gw2) you have to buy the expansions to keep doing things in new content. There is no perfect F2P model but I really dislike Rifts.

So how long by using your method does it take to unlock the earring slot? Months?
    Probably a bit over a month. And that's assuming you're doing little to nothing in-game to earn plat, which is silly. One can easily farm the unlock for free in a month or less. That's pretty awesome for a free game, especially considering how often people say that they'd rather earn things in game than have them be exclusive to the cash shop.

Locking out things such as souls and gear slots for your character is weak.
    Unless you're raiding, it's not a huge detriment. You can still do open world content, instant adventures, experts, and nightmare rift instances just fine without planewalker water or earring slots. It can be a bit of a hurdle to get the initial stat cap (whatever your primary stat is) without them, but it's possible with a bit of effort.

Damn, having to work towards something that's totally achievable in-game? What is that bullshit?!

I can understand locking out extra bank tabs, bag space, the amount of money you can carry before hitting a cap or whatever. But if it is something that limits my ability to play a character then no thanks.
    The base souls are all fully functional at their intended roles. All you're realistically losing out on is the additional fourth role that was added on in NT and some additional flexibility added in with SL.

Again, they're 100% optional unless you're doing more serious raid content. And if you're doing that, I don't see the issue with asking someone to drop a bit of scratch to unlock them more quickly.

And if that is the type of people running this next game then I'll 100% pass on it.
    So again..."OVERWHELMINGLY FREE, BUT NOT TOTALLY FREE!" /rabblerabble

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ay.html/page/1

And it's official. If someone wants to make a megathread, go for it. Still not terribly impressed, but I'll keep an eye on it. Honestly way more curious to see how Trion handles this compared to ArcheAge.
    This game looks super generic. Not feeling this is going to be a huge success.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-06-30 at 08:25 PM.

Probably a bit over a month. And that's assuming you're doing little to nothing in-game to earn plat, which is silly. One can easily farm the unlock for free in a month or less. That's pretty awesome for a free game, especially considering how often people say that they'd rather earn things in game than have them be exclusive to the cash shop.

Unless you're raiding, it's not a huge detriment. You can still do open world content, instant adventures, experts, and nightmare rift instances just fine without planewalker water or earring slots. It can be a bit of a hurdle to get the initial stat cap (whatever your primary stat is) without them, but it's possible with a bit of effort.

Damn, having to work towards something that's totally achievable in-game? What is that bullshit?!

The base souls are all fully functional at their intended roles. All you're realistically losing out on is the additional fourth role that was added on in NT and some additional flexibility added in with SL.

Again, they're 100% optional unless you're doing more serious raid content. And if you're doing that, I don't see the issue with asking someone to drop a bit of scratch to unlock them more quickly.

So again..."OVERWHELMINGLY FREE, BUT NOT TOTALLY FREE!" /rabblerabble
    In your eyes raiding is the only thing that matters with the new souls but not to me. In fact I find that comment kind of offensive. You are not the one to judge what specs I would employ and use out in the world. I enjoy freedom of being able to build my character the way I want and having options limited like that is just a major turnoff. I also notice that you can't unlock the souls in any in game manner. So yes you can unlock earrings but not the souls. Neat!

You can unlock everything in Rift with REX, afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You can unlock everything in Rift with REX, afaik.
    That may be possible as I no longer play the game I cannot easily go and look. I thought you had to have the expansion and you get the souls or you could buy the souls outright. If you can use REX to do it, would it not be a metric shit ton of REX? I mean I just have no desire to grind out multiple months of crap for them. Anyways its kinda offtopic at this point but this is the kind of stuff that worries me about Trion handling another game.

The 2nd thing wrong with Rift was the first major patch that just gutted tons of classes and nerfed all sorts of crap. It killed the game for a ton of us playing it in one fell swoop.
    That's why I left.

That may be possible as I no longer play the game I cannot easily go and look. I thought you had to have the expansion and you get the souls or you could buy the souls outright. If you can use REX to do it, would it not be a metric shit ton of REX? I mean I just have no desire to grind out multiple months of crap for them. Anyways its kinda offtopic at this point but this is the kind of stuff that worries me about Trion handling another game.
    The expansions were free. What they were selling was new souls which can be bought with Rex which you can get in game fairly easily

T I thought you had to have the expansion and you get the souls or you could buy the souls outright.
    No, I don't think so because my friends didn't buy the xpacks and just got it all through REX. iirc.

If you can use REX to do it, would it not be a metric shit ton of REX?
    Nah. Rift gives out plat hand over fist. You don't even have to try to hit the platinum cap. There is very little to spend plat on besides crafting. Like nothing really uses plat so people just have tons of it and buy REX in pre-packaged bundles sold in the store.

It's all very easy. The cost of playing Rift is almost inconsequential.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-07-02 at 12:29 AM.

Devilian looks interesting, I might give it a try if I can get into beta. Honestly much more hyped to Lost Ark Online though.

Path of Exile pretty much has a monopoly on the F2P ARPG genre (it's an awesome game so it's to be expected) and I don't see that changing until Lost Ark (if it turns out to be as awesome as it looks).

Finally got to look at it on my computer instead of my phone. It seems interesting. It's blueholes lost ark basically. I'll give it a shot but Blueholes as a rep for backwards development and Trion isn't what it use to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Devilia game looks like Diablo/Torchlight mixed with Tera. The different playable classes/races were super similar to Tera.

I just don't know why someone should play this over Diablo, Torchlight or that other hack n slash rpg that's on steam early access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trion will be showing a pre-alpha build and run through of Devilian tomorrow (Friday the 10th) at 3.30pm Pacific Time which is 10.30pm GMT

It’s that time, Devilians!

Join Producer Andrew “Drewcifer” Sipotz, Program Manager Victoria “FireCait” Voss, and Senior Community Relations Manager Evan “Scapes” Berman on the Trion Worlds Twitch channel for our first-ever weekly Devilian livestream. The Devilian Team will showcase the current pre-Alpha build as we introduce you to Devilian’s storyline, core gameplay, and much more. We’ll also field follow-up and additional questions from the forums and livestream chat.

Devilian Livestream #1

Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds
    Start Time: Friday, July 10 at 3:30 PM PDT (GMT-7)
    Duration: 45-60 minutes

Stick around until the end for a chance to win a special in-game giveaway. See you on Twitch!
    Source: https://www.deviliangame.com/en/2015...at-330-pm-pdt/

Deleted
    Copypaste from mmorpg forums http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../435482/page/1 :

This is from beta gameplay in Korea - some of this may have changed, some systems might not exist in western version

What is Devilian online?
    - It's an ARPG MMO hybrid, if I had to compare it to any of the popular ARPGs it's like a Diablo 2 and with a quest driven MMO combined. It is the “most MMO” ARPG that I’ve ever played so far

Why I think Devilian is NOT a Diablo 3 clone
    Mobs respawn in “open world”, you can't clear open world zones like you can in a typical ARPG (diablo/PoE) because you are sharing the world with other players. You are not in your own instance.
    You are surrounded by lots (100s on the server I played on) of players everywhere (not only in towns or when you group)
    Mobs are not loot pinatas (killing 100s of mobs doesn’t result in 100s of loot - maybe 1 loot drop every 200-300 kills, most loot comes from bosses/mini bosses and quests).
    Quest driven (there are 100s of quests - it’s like ESO, each part of the map has lots of quests)
    No inventory Tetris (everything takes up 1 inventory slot just like in a typical MMORPG)
    Instanced group dungeons with varying difficutly (normal, hard and “devilian” mode)
    Ranked dungeon runs (you get a score depending on how well you or your group did)
    20v20 PvP as well as 3v3 PvP
    There are some features I haven’t played first hand like “world Rifts” as well as massive zerg survival mode where you are getting swarmed with waves of mobs.
    Open world bosses I never got to try I think those got added after I played
    Deeper crafting system that I honestly never figured out fully due to a language barrier
    Mounts and pets which are very common in MMOs
    Alternative ways of character progression including card deck system that gives flat passive bonuses - this is a game in itself that I had a hard time figuring out due to my sucky Korean skills

It is a lot like your standard ARPG, some of these are very similar to Diablo/PoE
    Action combat with typical isometric-like cam view of Diablo games
    Killing huge swarms of enemies on screen is common
    Socketed gear is very similar to Diablo
    Can be played casually to hardcore - varying degrees of difficulty which is common in ARPGs
    can be played exactly like diablo as click to move (also supports full WASD - I used both)

Basics:
    Classes:
    - There are 4 classes - Berserker, Elementalist, Assassin and Gunner - each one has three specialization trees, I only played Elementalist and picked mostly from a “3rd” tree which focused heavily on AoE and boss damage bonuses. I just picked the skills out because I couldn’t find any “guides” on builds - and the build worked completely fine. I was able to solo, but I got rocked hard in PvP - so maybe this was a horrible PvP build, or maybe I just sucked and was undergeared, either way not being able to communicate with my teammates was a major barrier in PvP.

I played with other elementalists who had entirely different skillsets than I and played completely different - same went with other classes - it seemed like there was a clear variety of builds within each class. Language barrier again didn’t help here, it was frustrating not being able to clearly discuss class builds etc... :/

Gear: - the stats vary and you can build a tankier elementalist - I was getting clear “magic damage cloth” type pieces as well as much “tankier” gear as well - I just stuck to max damage type gear and it worked out pretty well - again I was 100% winging this due to language issues.

Cards: - there are cards to collect in game that can build decks - these give passive bonuses to your character for further customization. Cards have tiers so a basic card you can tier up - unfortunately by the time I figured this out I had sold many duplicate cards which can be used to level up decks /facepalm. There are LOTS of different cards - it’s a game in itself it seems.

Movement + combat: - the game allows simultaneous use of WASD movement and click to move - which worked well for me
    Auto path: - yes the game has this - love and hate relationship with this feature - but I ended up using it a lot since teleporting costs money so I'd just click on a map and my mount would autopath to destination. Right click on destination on map - and you mount up and autopath there (i’ve died a couple of times when I did this going through some elite packs - so no this is not 100% safe, it is safe in lower level zones though)
    Cash shop: it existed in Korea - it used "gems" as currency and I never used it - don't know what the current state of the cash shop is

PvP - the big one is 20 v 20 matches - I've gotten my ass handed to me every time as not being able to speak korean I honestly didn't know what strategy my team was using, but it was fun and I managed to score kills in my crap gear. I honestly don’t know how much gear means here vs build, I am certain that my build was crap due to PvE skills that did bonus damage to bosses for example.
    (there are respec scrolls that let you reset skills - I got mine via gameplay from a quest at level 18 or 20 maybe - very low, but you could also buy them in cash shop via “gems” which was the cash shop currency in Korea)

Now lets talk about gameplay:
    Devilian is a mix of a quest driven MMO and Diablo 2, leveling to 50 you'll be going from one area to another doing quests (like in most ARPGs, the monsters are grouped by level) so if you go into area at level 5 and there are level 30mobs - you're in the wrong part of the map!
    There is a LOT of going back and forth from NPC to turn in quests - it can drive you nuts, until I realized that you can click on this green ! in the quest menu and you get an update without having to run back (again my korean sucks).
    But in some cases where you have to go back to the quest NPC autopath system works well - I hated this at first, but loved it by mid 20s as paying silver for teleports was getting expensive.
    Important things I remember - the inventory slots can be bought for in-game gold so no need to buy from cash shop (again sold for “gems” in Korea).

The game starts out as complete /faceroll - for the first 20 (maybe 30 levels) - this is basically a tutorial. I am not sure why these extensive tutorials are popular in Korea but that’s the case here. It was like playing Diablo 3 on the easiest mode - it’s just way too easy.
    My elementalist started out with these massive AoE attacks - my idea was to be able to kill 30+ mobs with ease as you get these “massacre buffs” that boost damage when you kill lots of bad guys at once - the problem I didn’t realize til later is that you need some instacast skills that you can do on the move as bosses can one shot you, and if you are standing in place “casting” - you are dead. So I picked up this “meteor” type skill that was castable on the move, saved the day so many times vs boss figths.
    As you fight mobs you build a special "Devilian" meter that when full allows you to transform into your "Demon inside/Devilian" form - each class has it own unique demon form and a unique set of skills - there is also demon form specific gear that boost your stats while transformed. It lasts for a pretty short time so use this during those tough boss fights - it's best to coordinate this with your team as it can be the difference between a wipe and a successful boss kill.

So it gets hard and fast as you start running into elite mobs that are over your level, hit super hard and have a ton of HP - I think this was late 20s early 30s. This is also where I ran into a particular dungeon boss that for the first time was a real PITA compared to pretty easy bosses previous to this one - I had to group up to get through this. From what I was told in game - many dungeons are soloable if you are overgeared or overlevel later in game but 50+ stuff was HARD, and those “raid” level dungeons were brutal (I tried one for kicks and yeah couldn’t get past the first 2 mobs).
    The bosses have telegraphed attacks for those big “1-shot yer dead” hits - however past level 30 and 40 there were some boss mechanics that I was not really understanding (again Korean is not my strong point) and had to sadly be carried through these - as I was dying due to some debuff that i just didn’t know how to handle.

The game will appeal to ARPG fans who want more MMO feel and features in their game - I think it will also appeal to some MMORPG fans that like action combat. As a huge fan of Diablo series, as well as PoE, Torchlight - I was hooked once I got to difficulty that was challenging.
    I was often frustrated of not really understanding all the systems in game like crafting and even skill synergy or “proper builds” - so I am really looking forward to being able to understand how to play properly once this is in english.
    I think the game is a must try for any ARPG fan, if you don’t like ARPG combat - this is not the game for you. There’s a lot of depth in systems - especially crafting which I had a really difficult time understanding but I was able to get by with socketed gems in quest gear just fine at least in PvE.

That’s all I can remember for now

So it has the ARPG grind combined with the limited endgame of dungeons and raids of a traditional MMORPG

someone burn this with fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    So it has the ARPG grind combined with the limited endgame of dungeons and raids of a traditional MMORPG

someone burn this with fire.
    Don't worry, it will prbly set itself on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    Don't worry, it will prbly set itself on fire.
    It's basically just a generic asian MMO #3468 but with an ARPG viewpoint.

Get out Bluehole. GTFO