Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

British man kicked out of Canada for helping girlfriend fix up her apartment

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...151421493.html

A young British man was given “eight days to leave Canada” for helping his girlfriend fix up her apartment.
    Tom Rolfe, 24, is accused of “denying a Canadian person a job” by immigration officials after he was found to have helped his girlfriend, Sam, fill up cracks in her wall, the Mirror reports.

Officials went through Rolfe’s camera, where they found pictures of him working on the walls. The pictures were used to prove that Rolfe, who was in Canada on a tourist visa, was working illegally.

“It is just ridiculous, I was helping Sam tidy up her flat before she sold it so we could get a place together,” he told the news outlet.
    “I was treated like a criminal and told I have eight days to get out of the country.”

Rolfe and his girlfriend hoped to open a dog rescue centre in Edmonton, Alta., but he says that this misstep “has wrecked [their] plans.”
    He applied for a resident’s permit and as a result, Rolfe had to leave Canada to be processed going back through immigration control.
    Rolfe and Sam drove 300 miles to Montana in the United States before immediately returning to Canada to get his new passport stamped.

But when the two arrived, they were locked in separate rooms while officials searched through their car and belongings for hours.

That’s when they found Rolfe’s camera.

“They looked through the photographs on my camera and saw me helping Sam fill cracks in her walls where pictures had been hanging,” he said.
    “They said that by doing that I was denying a Canadian person a job.”

When officials told Rolfe that he had eight days to get out of the country, he was “completely staggered.”

Sam appealed the decision to her local MP in Alberta but was told that Rolfe would have to leave the country for 28 months before he could return.
    “I’m done with Canada now. I thought they were Commonwealth so I’m surprised to be treated like this,” he said.
    “We have had to completely revise our plans because all I did was a little bit of DIY around the house for my girlfriend.”
    Sam, along with their two dogs, is planning to follow Rolfe to the U.K. in a few months. He already started looking for a place for them to live.

So this is dumb...he filled in a crack in the wall and gets kicked out over it, because he "took our jerb".
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2015-06-27 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...151421493.html

A young British man was given “eight days to leave Canada” for helping his girlfriend fix up her apartment.
    Tom Rolfe, 24, is accused of “denying a Canadian person a job” by immigration officials after he was found to have helped his girlfriend, Sam, fill up cracks in her wall, the Mirror reports.

Officials went through Rolfe’s camera, where they found pictures of him working on the walls. The pictures were used to prove that Rolfe, who was in Canada on a tourist visa, was working illegally.

“It is just ridiculous, I was helping Sam tidy up her flat before she sold it so we could get a place together,” he told the news outlet.
    “I was treated like a criminal and told I have eight days to get out of the country.”

Rolfe and his girlfriend hoped to open a dog rescue centre in Edmonton, Alta., but he says that this misstep “has wrecked [their] plans.”
    He applied for a resident’s permit and as a result, Rolfe had to leave Canada to be processed going back through immigration control.
    Rolfe and Sam drove 300 miles to Montana in the United States before immediately returning to Canada to get his new passport stamped.

But when the two arrived, they were locked in separate rooms while officials searched through their car and belongings for hours.

That’s when they found Rolfe’s camera.

“They looked through the photographs on my camera and saw me helping Sam fill cracks in her walls where pictures had been hanging,” he said.
    “They said that by doing that I was denying a Canadian person a job.”

When officials told Rolfe that he had eight days to get out of the country, he was “completely staggered.”

Sam appealed the decision to her local MP in Alberta but was told that Rolfe would have to leave the country for 28 months before he could return.
    “I’m done with Canada now. I thought they were Commonwealth so I’m surprised to be treated like this,” he said.
    “We have had to completely revise our plans because all I did was a little bit of DIY around the house for my girlfriend.”
    Sam, along with their two dogs, is planning to follow Rolfe to the U.K. in a few months. He already started looking for a place for them to live.

So this is dumb...he filled in a crack in the wall and gets kicked out over it, because her "took our jerb".
    I blame Canada, with their beady eyes and flapping heads....

Deleted
    So this is dumb...he filled in a crack in the wall and gets kicked out over it, because her "took our jerb".
    But he totally did.

15+ Year Old Account
    If this really is the whole story, that's incredibly narrow minded.

Story sounds fishy to me. But I am very aware of new laws saying work can't be done in condos/townhouses without a structural engineer coming down first. At least in BC because we love to burn money here.

That just seems dumb to me. In my eyes, if he didn't get payed I don't consider it "working illegally". Under this logic any time I did someone a favor, like helped them move out or give them a ride somewhere, I would be working for them? It just seems so petty to deport him for something like that.

Deleted
    Guy has no sense of digital security... and it looks like he was working anyway.

Every time you cross borders, you should make sure you have nothing accessible on your devices nor public social media. It is the 21st century equivalent of common sense, unfortunately.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is the name of the Canadian who were denied that job?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted

I've heard about these kind of situations before quite a few times.

There used to be tons of cases like this on various border security reality programs on television. I'm always surprised at how inhumane and uncaring people working for customs can act in these kind of situations. Aiding friends or relatives living in canada or australia while traveling there on a tourist visa is a dangerous thing and should be kept a secret from everyone. Any and all evidence should be destroyed, and setting up a solid cover story isn't a stupid thing to do either.

On the other hand, he now has an iron-clad excuse to never have to do the dishes, the laundry or tidy the flat whenever he goes to visit.

It seems that Canada is having a brain spasm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    On the other hand, he now has an iron-clad excuse to never have to do the dishes, the laundry or tidy the flat whenever he goes to visit.
    Everything going according to plan...
    this guy is a genius.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's got to be more to this story. I don't typically hear much nonsense news from Canada aside from that one Toronto... mayor?

Deleted
    And people say Sweden is racist. You literally can't fix stuff in peoples apartments when you know them in Canada if you're not native, cuz you'll be thrown out then. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    There's got to be more to this story. I don't typically hear much nonsense news from Canada aside from that one Toronto... mayor?
    Mayor Ford was a comedy gold-mine. He should be considered a national treasure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    And people say Sweden is racist. You literally can't fix stuff in peoples apartments when you know them in Canada if you're not native, cuz you'll be thrown out then. Lol.
    People don't say sweden is racist they say there is a vocal minority of racist swedes on english speaking message boards due to the general level of political correctness in sweden and the proliferation of the english language even among on average lower educated demografic groups in the country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    People don't say sweden is racist they say there is a vocal minority of racist swedes on english speaking message boards due to the general level of political correctness in sweden and the proliferation of the english language even among on average lower educated demografic groups in the country.
    You clearly don't know much about what is being said about Sweden.

If he didnt got any Money its not doing a Job.. dafuck

if he did ok whatever canada rules

Mayor Ford was a comedy gold-mine. He should be considered a national treasure.

I love the quote where he was accused of eating out a chick and he said "I have enough to eat at home"