Need help fogurong out computer parts!

So I'm currently wanting to build a new computer. Specifically, one that would be good for recording music. So I guess it would need a lot of memory amd what not. But I don't know too terribly much, and I am not sure what is compatible with what. Price isn't an issue, does anyone have any ideas for a build that would be compatible? I am also going to be researching on my own, but figured asking here would be a good idea!

Edit: Typos galore. This is why I shouldn't post from phone.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2015-07-04 at 03:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Recording music" is a really, really vague statement to be honest, and it could mean a lot of different things. Are you:

1) Using Pro Tools to record and import music from multiple sources at once
    2) Recording music in the sense that you're just recording pre recorded music?\
    3) Recording one instrument at a time
    4) Are you editing this music with a program like previously mentioned?

There is a lot that goes into sound engineering (I would know, I have a pro tools engineering degree), so we'd need something else to go on.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    "Recording music" is a really, really vague statement to be honest, and it could mean a lot of different things. Are you:

1) Using Pro Tools to record and import music from multiple sources at once
    2) Recording music in the sense that you're just recording pre recorded music?\
    3) Recording one instrument at a time
    4) Are you editing this music with a program like previously mentioned?

There is a lot that goes into sound engineering (I would know, I have a pro tools engineering degree), so we'd need something else to go on.
    i run a side business picking up used computers and checking them out for my clients, and in the last year ive had a LOT of pro-amateur music guys requesting the 2011 and 2012 "Server" model Mac Mini as an ideal "affordable" sound editing rig. Like.. 10 of them in the last 9 months.

They usually go for ~500-700$ all told, can be outfitted with 16GB of RAM (theyll support 32GB if you want to spend the money on 16GB laptop DIMMs and can find them) easily, have a great port selection (the "2012" models have 5 USB 3, HDMI out, Thunderbolt 2, Firewire 800, and SPDIF in/out) and are small and portable if you do shows.

I have no personal experience with them for sound editing usage, but like i said ive had a LOT of requests in the past year to find that machine for audio professionals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah for sure. It's because of all the port selections to be honest. That's great for recording music, and the ability to upgrade the RAM to that high (especially at that time) is superb. Especially the Thunderbolt 2 port, that's in high demand for thunderbolt-out MIDI keyboards etc.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE