Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ahh.. wut?

Even the slowest wireless format (802.11B), which hasnt been used on new devices in literally years, is 11Mbps. Around here, on Comcast, you have to move up to the third tier of packages to get past 10Mbps services.

The next step up, 802.11G, which is also largely no longer used (but a lot of devices that are still in use still have it, so its relevant) - is 54Mbps. That's faster than the 50Mbps down i get from my 129$ package with Comcast.

802.11N, which is the "standard" these days - is between 54Mbps and 600Mbps (with MiMo), and 802.11AC is 430Mbps - 1300Mbps (dependent on the Router and MiMo support).

In aggregate, WiFi speeds are faster than the average "broadband" download speed in the US by a pretty significant margin (which is an abysmal 12Mbps). Same would go for Canada as well, which has a similarly non-robust Internet infrastructure because of lack of competition (like the US).
    Lets look at what the OP is using. He is currently using a rented Comcast modem. Their top of the line X1 router/modem combo (TG852G, TG862G, SMCD3GNV, TC8305C) uses G and N or A (2.4ghz and 5.0ghz) and is set up with a default to G. 2.4ghz. In perfect conditions, it is capable of 54Mbps, but we both know that is never achievable. Even next to his router, with 0 interference and other devices using the same channel, he would be pretty damn lucky to get 45mbps. He claims that he gets 28-32Mbps, and my best guess is the router has a wall or 2 to get through to connect to his devices.

The N or A both have much higher throughput, but their penetration is greatly less than G. OP might even encounter slower speeds on the 5ghz spectrum because of the distance between his router and his connected devices. Generally I only recommend 5ghz for people who live in dense areas like apartments where the 2.4ghz channel spectrum is saturated because once you break that line of optimal distance from the router, your speeds drop off quite a bit due to signal strength degradation.

But this entire argument goes back to my 1 simple request to test the speeds plugged directly into the modem instead of through wifi.
    Last edited by lloose; 2015-07-18 at 06:02 AM.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

In addition to testing wired speed, I would also speedtest different devices on your wireless network before deciding that the problem is with the router. Speedtest it with your phone, tablet, fiancee's laptop, etc... MANY people also thought the problem was with their network, until they realized that only their laptop had some traffic regulating program that came bundled with something and things improved when they removed it.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.