Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Merkel brings Palestinian refugee child to tears

Independent.co.ok
    thelocal.de

Quote Originally Posted by independent.co.uk
    Named as Reem, she said she had been in Germany with her family for four years after they moved from a refugee camp in Lebanon but could be deported at any time because they had only been granted temporary right of asylum.

“As long as I don't know how long I can stay here, I don’t know what my future will be,” Reem said, in fluent German.

“I understand that, however I have to… sometimes politics is hard,” Ms Merkel said.

“You’re a very nice person but you know that there are thousands and thousands of people in Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon and if say 'you can all come,' and 'you can all come from Africa,' and 'you can all come,' we just can't manage that."
    This just underscores the difficulties Europe faces as she tries to cope with immigration policies: we state our hands are full and can't do a thing. While we collectively try to figure it out, our leaders coldly lay realpolitik at a child with the style of an administrative response.
    Tone deaf doesn't begin to describe it.
    thanks Angela!

It's received a mixed response in social media, how does mmo-c feel about this?

She's not really a child, more of a young adult.

Deleted
    Well, she can cry all she wants it's her right, she's however going to do it Palestine on the long run. *Waves her goodbye*.

She's not wrong though, as hard as the girl's situation is, a country can't support an infinite amount of people. Juggling with the current immigration crisis must not be easy.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2015-07-16 at 06:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    lol so they can take someone in and then throw them out? i think if you take them you shouldnt throw them after that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vea Lea View Post
    lol so they can take someone in and then throw them out? i think if you take them you shouldnt throw them after that
    They're "war" refugees given refuge for as long as their country is in turmoil. They're not given permanent residence and usually send back as soon as the situation in their home countries calms down. They knew this all along and it was never up for discussion. Ocassionally someone gets more media attention and some bleeding hearts try to change their situation.

However, the current numbers are absolutely unsustainable, the large mayority of them are economic refugees and these people are abusing something that was set up and never meant to help them. Even in her case, it was always a temporary thing and never meant to be permanent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    They're "war" refugees given refuge for as long as their country is in turmoil. They're not given permanent residence and usually send back as soon as the situation in their home countries calms down. They knew this all along and it was never up for discussion. Ocassionally someone gets more media attention and some bleeding hearts try to change their situation.

However, the current numbers are absolutely unsustainable, the large mayority of them are economic refugees and these people are abusing something that was set up and never meant to help them. Even in her case, it was always a temporary thing and never meant to be permanent.
    i still dont think you should accept someone if you are going send them back later if you accept them they should always get to stay

10+ Year Old Account
    i still dont think you should accept someone if you are going send them back later if you accept them they should always get to stay
    That's not a realistic approach and would just result in refugees being turned away. When a wave of refugees appears at the border you can take them in or toss them out. Most countries don't have the bandwidth to take those volumes of refugees in permanently, especially as I would imagine many of them would require government subsidies to make ends meet, probably for quite some time.

7+ Year Old Account
    So you should just send them away as soon as they hit the border?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    So you should just send them away as soon as they hit the border?
    if you cant take them yes

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are advocating turning away refugees from a temporary situation rather than taking them in until it is safe and then returning them?

Do you have any idea what you'd inflict on these people? Or do you just not care?

10+ Year Old Account
    How is that better than letting them stay for a few years before having to return when its intended for war refugees?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    So you are advocating turning away refugees from a temporary situation rather than taking them in until it is safe and then returning them?

Do you have any idea what you'd inflict on these people? Or do you just not care?
    what do you mean? you say they cant take them but should take anyways? i say if cant take then they shouldnt take them?

Deleted
    Merkel says it like it is "We can't take care of everybody" when can these damn SJWs get that in their stupid heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

Vea isn't the smartest individual if you haven't noticed yet
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2015-07-16 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    what do you mean? you say they cant take them but should take anyways? i say if cant take then they shouldnt take them?
    What if somebody lost his house due to a flood and you let him in for some month but after that say hey the flood is over and my family need the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Vea isn't the smartest individual if you haven't noticed yet
    It's a role she play it's faux naivety.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sucks, but Merkel's response wasn't cold. If she had sugarcoated it or gave her some wishy woshy fun times response, she'd get just as much flack. She said the truth. The situation is dire, but it's just the way of politics. You can only take in so many people.

ELI5
    They have room for 10.
    30 come in from different places.
    They take 10 in most dire need until the situation in their country of origin is better.
    When it's better they send them back.
    Now they can take the next 10.

Your solution of taking those 10 for ever makes it impossible to take the next 20.

(numbers are far from reality).

Sometimes the truth can upset people. News at 11.

At least Frau Merkel didn't shake her down for all her money, and use her mannish hands to pick the girl up by the ankles and shake any loose change from her pockets.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    ELI5
    They have room for 10.
    30 come in from different places.
    They take 10 in most dire need until the situation in their country of origin is better.
    When it's better they send them back.
    Now they can take the next 10.

Your solution of taking those 10 for ever makes it impossible to take the next 20.

(numbers are far from reality).
    why would it be impossible? you can build more