Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How would you choose a realm FOR RAIDING, if you rerolled FROM SCRATCH on a new one?

I was following the following ideas:

1. Choose the realm with the best guild in the world (or the region if you're not EU) for the fun of that fact alone. This has the problem that a lot of fanboys of the guild are in the realm so they don't add anything. Also it's pointless if it doesn't have other guilds that are good since you don't really have a chance of playing with the best that way.

2. Visit wowprogress and choose the best realm in progress comparatively. e.g. It may not have the best top 3 guilds, but it may have 20 or 40 guilds that are all in the top 200, which is pretty good.

3. Just go randomly on a new realm or a big realm or something like that. I don't know. ???

I have done in the past '2.' and '1.'. '1.' is a bit stupid if you go to a realm without other good guilds since it will be dead for the rest of the realm and you'll only have to say you play in the same 'world' with the best, which isn't anything that big, for most of the time. '2.' alone isn't a sure thing either since most of the time it just means the realm is way too big and that's why it has many good guilds, so the quality might not be there, only the quantity. A combo of '2.' and '1.' isn't bad, having the top 3 guilds of the realm being top 10 world for example but the rest 10 or 20 being good too.

What would you do if you had to choose a new realm and you had to start from scratch?
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2015-07-23 at 11:14 AM.

SO for me i pick a high pop server and roll with it dont check anything because first you have to prove yourself to get into most high end raiding guilds.

Deleted
    I just re-rolled last week for alliance toons (I main Horde but for PvP I play alliance).
    I go to EU realm pop and look at the top 5 populated servers. Then I go to warcraftgraphs to check how good the PvE/PvP activity is. Then I check realm forums and mmo-c forums for activity in guild recruiting. Then I create a lvl1 char, run to stormwind and ask in trade what the realm is like. That is usually the most telling: how many people troll you, how many people whisper you to help, how many foreign language guild adverts do you see?

Top guilds are a useless metric (unless you are going to join them). Both Method and Paragon prefer medium sized realms (I played on them) and you can tell it's only a third of the population size compared to high pop.

I used to be really big on faction balance etc, but given how Blizz gives nothing about it, I will accept nothing but 90%+ my faction and 250k+ people on the server.

Go to wowprogress and figure out which realm has a good spread of guilds that look attractive to you.

I mean, who cares if the realm has 40 guilds in the top 200 if I'm top 2,000 material?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftdot View Post
    I just re-rolled last week for alliance toons (I main Horde but for PvP I play alliance).
    I go to EU realm pop and look at the top 5 populated servers. Then I go to warcraftgraphs to check how good the PvE/PvP activity is. Then I check realm forums and mmo-c forums for activity in guild recruiting. Then I create a lvl1 char, run to stormwind and ask in trade what the realm is like. That is usually the most telling: how many people troll you, how many people whisper you to help, how many foreign language guild adverts do you see?

Top guilds are a useless metric (unless you are going to join them). Both Method and Paragon prefer medium sized realms (I played on them) and you can tell it's only a third of the population size compared to high pop.

I used to be really big on faction balance etc, but given how Blizz gives nothing about it, I will accept nothing but 90%+ my faction and 250k+ people on the server.

Those are very good ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Go to wowprogress and figure out which realm has a good spread of guilds that look attractive to you.

I mean, who cares if the realm has 40 guilds in the top 200 if I'm top 2,000 material?

That's a good point

Deleted

What is warcraftgraphs? I can't seem to find it, could you please tell me what site you mean? It sounds amazing if you can see somewhere how the PvP/PvE activity is.

Just pick the best server... EU-Kazzak.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroballer View Post
    Just pick the best server... EU-Tarren Mill.
    Saw an typing error. Fixed it for you :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowprogress can actually be pretty helpful here. Go to it and check for guilds around your progress level. Are you 9/13 heroic? Look for guilds that are 9/13 heroic or somewhere around there. Choose a realm that has a number of guilds in that ballpark. Whisper someone in that guild and ask if that guild is looking for your particular class / spec.

Or just roll on Aerie Peak-US. Largest raiding guild in the US servers there on the Alliance side, 50+ raid teams in one guild conglomerate. That server is a haven for raiding right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Disclaimer: *Soon* is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. *Soon* may not actually occur soon. *Soon* will occur sometime between right now and the heat death of the universe...probably... We COULD make *Soon* occur sooner, but it would cost you a raid tier.

Deleted
    1. Learn French
    2. Reroll at EU- Sargeras realm
    3. ???
    4. Join the guild From Scratch
    5. Profit

Go to wowprogress.com and pick a realm with a pile of raiding guilds. You want to pick a server with a healthy raiding base. Example: US Proudmoore Alliance. There are 5 guilds with mythic kills, 1 with a heroic Archie kill, and 9 more that are 12/13 H. If I was transferring from the wasteland that is Argent Dawn US, that's where I'd go.

Deleted
    Simply look for a good spread of guilds in different brackets:
    -Hardcore
    -Semi-hardcore
    -Casual but serious raiding
    -Raiding guilds with varying raiding intensity (2n, 3n, 4n,...)
    -The availability of weekend raiding guilds

Basically Kazzak EU is the prime example for Horde players.

If your goal is to raid at the highest possible level on a new character I'd check wowprogress and roll on a server with many progression guilds because it will be easy getting a spot in at least 1 of them since they all compete with each other during recruiting times, then raid with them for a while while applying to higher end guilds. A server change though is very likely eventually. Really the question is what is your goal.

1. Datacenter that ensures I don't have shit lag issues (bye bye, LA)
    2. Healthy raiding community
    3. Economy

In that order.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dictainabox View Post
    1. Datacenter that ensures I don't have shit lag issues (bye bye, LA)
    2. Healthy raiding community
    3. Economy

In that order.
    Economies are shared now, unless you use trade chat to sell your trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to wowprogress and took the one with 50/50 H/A, but when I turned to 90(this was in mop btw) about 90% of the players were polish, so I transfered to a much more populated realm which was 99/1 of my favour, and it was pretty much only english speaking in tradechat..
    Got tired of "qwjkxkzjkc SoO xkjzhxzjvg achi". Sorry, I'm bad at imitating polish.
    Realm was from Burning Legion (H) -> Silvermoon (A).
    im cool pls respodn

Quote Originally Posted by Korshay View Post
    Go to wowprogress.com and pick a realm with a pile of raiding guilds. You want to pick a server with a healthy raiding base. Example: US Proudmoore Alliance. There are 5 guilds with mythic kills, 1 with a heroic Archie kill, and 9 more that are 12/13 H. If I was transferring from the wasteland that is Argent Dawn US, that's where I'd go.
    My mage is on that server.. I'm too lazy to level again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    What is warcraftgraphs? I can't seem to find it, could you please tell me what site you mean? It sounds amazing if you can see somewhere how the PvP/PvE activity is.
    http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/
    The downside of that site is that you only get 1800+ ratings for pvp and 1/13 mythic for pve as part of the stats. So basically it's a rough approximation for number of high-end players. It lets you see for example the ridiculous dominance of humans in PvP.

As with everything, don't use it as the only source but as one of many.
    Last edited by mmoc9ae6469358; 2015-07-23 at 03:02 PM.

Deleted
    http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/
    The downside of that site is that you only get 1800+ ratings for pvp and 1/13 mythic for pve as part of the stats. So basically it's a rough approximation for number of high-end players. It lets you see for example the ridiculous dominance of humans in PvP.

As with everything, don't use it as the only source but as one of many.
    Ok thanks for replying! Appreciated.

Illidan horde - US. You can't really compare any other US realm to it PvE wise.