Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

$15 minimum wage for fast food employers set to pass in NY

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/ny...d-workers.html

The labor protest movement that fast-food workers in New York City began nearly three years ago has led to higher wages for workers all across the country. On Wednesday, it paid off for the people who started it.

A panel appointed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo recommended on Wednesday that the minimum wage be raised for employees of fast-food chain restaurants throughout the state to $15 an hour over the next few years. Wages would be raised faster in New York City than in the rest of the state to account for the higher cost of living there.
    As Cuomo said it cost the state's taxpayers $700m in benefits that go to these workers, effectively subsidizing McDonalds, a business that makes over 4 billion a year.

And?

I never saw anyone arguing that a 7.50 minimum wage was acceptable in NYC.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    And?

I never saw anyone arguing that a 7.50 minimum wage was acceptable in NYC.
    Either you are joking, or you haven't actually read what many conservatives have been writing. A good chunk of them want the minimum wage completely abolished...so not only were they arguing that a 7.50 minimum wage in NYC was acceptable, they are perfectly fine with throwing the workers to the wolves and seeing their wages go even lower.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Either you are joking, or you haven't actually read what many conservatives have been writing. A good chunk of them want the minimum wage completely abolished...so not only were they arguing that a 7.50 minimum wage in NYC was acceptable, they are perfectly fine with throwing the workers to the wolves and seeing their wages go even lower.
    Please post your source

it paid off for the people who started it
    Really, so all those automated order stands are a myth now?

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    The only arguments I saw on this site were that there were lots of rural places where a 7.50 wage was a living wage, and that the poor city dwellers should move there.

And i agree, minimum wage should be abolished, right after we implement a universal basic income that brings you up to a living wage.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Great, lets create more unemployment!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaise the Instrument View Post
    Great, lets create more unemployment!
    --SNIP--

Don't post spam
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-07-23 at 02:43 PM.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    --SNIP--

Don't post spam
    Because posting memes rather than arguments is always easier.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-07-23 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't be a big mystery when McDonald's starts rolling out these bad boys to all areas that have $15 minimum wage:

The statement you posted has been thoroughly debunked numerous times on these forums, just by looking at the history of every country with a minimum wage.

If you continue to wallow in ignorance, all you get are memes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Shouldn't be a big mystery when McDonald's starts rolling out these bad boys to all areas that have $15 minimum wage:
    They are going to roll them out everywhere. This entire automation thing is why we need to start moving away from the hardcore capitalism we have now.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, thank god.

And not allowed.

I've started before, that I know some businesses that will go under due to this, but that's only 1-2 that I know are barely making it. Overall, I generally like the idea, but you can't give it to just fast food people. If anything, those people are the ones that deserve it the least, AND those are the people who are producing products (oh, just microwaving products) that are killing the country.

I have 2 main beefs with the minimum wage hike:
    1. I went to college, worked my way up and obviously make more than the 15/min wage, but not by a lot. So my paid better jump up as well, otherwise, what was it all really for?

2. "I'd like a #2, with just heavy ketchup and a coke. Thanks!"
    I get home and check the bag - oh, full normal whopper with everything on it.
    I'm sorry, but you deserve LESS money, not double. There were 3 cars in the parking lot, I'm betting at least 2, if not all 3 were employees and no other cars in the drive thru. So, fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I'm sorry, but you deserve LESS money, not double.
    Well soon they will be getting 0. Fuck them.

Is that a bad thing? Less people taking orders could mean more people in the kitchen. If it asks me to place my McDonalds back in the bagging area to be weighed though...

OT: Congrats on paying your workers a wage. If you're working full time and you're not able to support yourself then you should be doing something else :/

Quote Originally Posted by JackAU View Post
    Is that a bad thing? Less people taking orders could mean more people in the kitchen. If it asks me to place my McDonalds back in the bagging area to be weighed though...
    Error in bagging zone. Calling police now.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Do the automated payment machines cook your food for you and hand it to you as well? No? Then they will still need staff to actually do those things. And if they can take more orders faster by using the machines they will need more staff doing the actual 'cooking' so people on the tills can move to the back and still be employed (in an ideal world at least).
    Now you just need your waiters / waitresses to get organised and all up in arms so you don't have to have the insane 'compulsory tipping' culture over there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAU View Post
    In the coming years even kitchen work will be automated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post

I have 2 main beefs with the minimum wage hike:
    1. I went to college, worked my way up and obviously make more than the 15/min wage, but not by a lot. So my paid better jump up as well, otherwise, what was it all really for?
    Why don't you unionise and get yourself a better deal then?

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Why don't you unionise and get yourself a better deal then?
    Because Reagan and his administration broke the back of unions. It's been downhill for workers rights since then.

But yes, as minimum wage increases, effects ripple upwards (slowly) and jobs that were and still are above minimum wage also get wage increases.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.