Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Clinton sent emails containing classified information.

The four emails "were classified when they were sent and are classified now," Andrea Williams, a spokesperson for I Charles McCullough, inspector general of the intelligence community, tells Byron Tau of the Wall Street Journal.
    Tau reports that the inspector general delivered a letter to Congress on Thursday asserting that Mrs Clinton should not have been using her personal server to send such information.

"None of the emails we reviewed had classification or dissemination markings, but some included [intelligence community]-derived classified information and should have been handled as classified, appropriately marked and transmitted via a secure network," McCullough wrote.
    Mishandling classified information is prohibited by federal law, and numerous government employees, including former CIA head David Petraeus, have been charged with violations in recent years. Tau reports that the inspector general has provided relevant information to the counterintelligence division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation for further investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33660942

Don't worry, people are going to keep protecting her. No charges will happen just like the bank executives were bailed out with no charges and now affluenza is a valid legal defense for murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Don't worry, people are going to keep protecting her. No charges will happen just like the bank executives were bailed out with no charges and now affluenza is a valid legal defense for murder.
    That was one of my faves right there.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey it worked for Snowden. He is a folk hero right? (That's what reddit tells me anyway.)
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Hey it worked for Snowden. He is a folk hero right? (That's what reddit tells me anyway.)
    Totally the same thing...

Wait, what? Again? Really? Kill this campaign, NOW.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

John Kerry is the first Secretary of State in history to have a government email account. True story. This is a ridiculously stupid "scandal." It is nothing but criticizing Clinton for handling her emails in the same way as every Secretary of State who came before her. Did Colin Powell ever send classified emails from his private account? Probably, but we will never know because there wasn't a witch hunt against him.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The four emails "were classified when they were sent and are classified now," Andrea Williams, a spokesperson for I Charles McCullough, inspector general of the intelligence community, tells Byron Tau of the Wall Street Journal.
    Tau reports that the inspector general delivered a letter to Congress on Thursday asserting that Mrs Clinton should not have been using her personal server to send such information.

"None of the emails we reviewed had classification or dissemination markings, but some included [intelligence community]-derived classified information and should have been handled as classified, appropriately marked and transmitted via a secure network," McCullough wrote.
    Mishandling classified information is prohibited by federal law, and numerous government employees, including former CIA head David Petraeus, have been charged with violations in recent years. Tau reports that the inspector general has provided relevant information to the counterintelligence division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation for further investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33660942
    This is interesting.
    The IC IG found four emails containing classified IC-derived information in a limited sample of 40 emails of the 30,000 emails provided by former Secretary Clinton. The four emails, which have not been released through the State FOIA process, did not contain classification markings and/or dissemination controls. These emails were not retroactively classified by the State Department; rather these emails contained classified information when they were generated and, according to IC classification officials, that information remains classified today. This classified information should never have been transmitted via an unclassified personal system
    Can anyone explain what they mean by the italicized section? Do you think they only looked at 40 emails, or took a random sampling of 40? I don't really see why they would mention the 40 emails at all.

I think your guess is correct, but that's some weird writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Didn't the DoJ originally say that the inquiry was criminal in nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Didn't the DoJ originally say that the inquiry was criminal in nature?
    Honestly IDK, but man, some of the changes the NYTs had to issue...

I guess now we wait and see if they press charges. Wow, if she get's knocked out of the race, Bernie is it? lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I think your guess is correct, but that's some weird writing.
    Yea, it sounds like it was one guy going over them Wednesday night, he only printed up 40 emails, found 4 instances of classified material and stopped there. I must be missing something. Not even I'm enough of a Clinton critic to think that 10% of the emails contained classified material.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I guess now we wait and see if they press charges. Wow, if she get's knocked out of the race, Bernie is it? lol
    Bernie versus Trump! Most entertaining election ever.

I know I said that whoever replaces Obama will be a rejection of Obama. But replacing the Age of Obama with the Age of Trump is sooooooooooooooo far beyond what I meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Can anyone explain what they mean by the italicized section? Do you think they only looked at 40 emails, or took a random sampling of 40? I don't really see why they would mention the 40 emails at all.
    From what I've read it looks like they took a random sampling of 40 from the 30,000 and of those 40 saw 4 with "classified info." It would be nice to hear of whether this classified info was of consequence. As I'm sure anyone who has dealt with FOIA requests knows, we classify a ridiculous amount of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    John Kerry is the first Secretary of State in history to have a government email account. True story. This is a ridiculously stupid "scandal." It is nothing but criticizing Clinton for handling her emails in the same way as every Secretary of State who came before her. Did Colin Powell ever send classified emails from his private account? Probably, but we will never know because there wasn't a witch hunt against him.
    The difference is, the Clintons have invited exactly this kind of stuff for twenty years because they've always operated as the seediest of political operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Yeah, I too dislike when Democrats act like Republicans.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    From what I've read it looks like they took a random sampling of 40 from the 30,000 and of those 40 saw 4 with "classified info." It would be nice to hear of whether this classified info was of consequence. As I'm sure anyone who has dealt with FOIA requests knows, we classify a ridiculous amount of information.
    Yeah honestly that's why I'm not really concerned much with this. A lot of stuff get's classified that has no business being so, and since it wasn't even marked as such that leads me to believe that it was something the sender was unaware was classified read: something that didn't need to be classified in the first place.

If that turns out to not be the case ok but honestly I don't see much here to get worked up over.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The difference is, the Clintons have invited exactly this kind of stuff for twenty years because they've always operated as the seediest of political operations.
    Sorry I don't get the level of Clinton hate that comes from both the right and the left on these boards, so you are going to have to be specific.