Budget build (CDN), need some guidance

Hey guys,

I haven't posted since I asked for help with a previous build about 4 years ago, but this one is for a friend. I found most of the parts on amazon.ca and newegg.ca, and I'm currently sitting at $874, and I'm looking for advice on how I can trim some fat or add some value to my choices.

I'm mostly only interested in WoW at 1080p, single monitor, and I already have a monitor and peripherals. I also play minecraft and the odd steam game like Dayz and Civilization.

Here's what I found so far:

Power Supply:
    Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 Plus Certified Power Suppy $59.98
    http://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Builder...r+power+supply

Windows 8.1 OS
    24.10 USD
    https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-window...ey-global.html

MotherBoard:
    ASRock Z97 ANNIVERSARY Socket 1150 4xDDR3 3100+(OC), HDMI, 1xPCIe3.0x16, 3xPCIe2.0x1, 2xPCI, 6xUSB3.0, 6xSATA3 ATX motherboard
    $139.99
    http://www.amazon.ca/ASRock-Z97-ANNI...rds=asrock+z97

Memory(RAM):
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
    65.99+5.99 shipping = $71.98
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...scrollFullInfo

Hard Drive:
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003
    $69.00
    http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Barracu...rds=hard+drive

Case:
    Enermax Ostrog ATX Computer Case with Acrylic See-Thru Side Panel, Black/Red ECA3253-BR
    $69.98
    http://www.amazon.ca/Enermax-Compute...ENERMAX+OSTROG

CPU Cooler:
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu Cooler with 120mm Pwm Fan RR-212E-20PK-R2
    $46.59
    http://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-H...rds=cpu+cooler

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...r7r0035wt00053

Video Card:
    PowerColor AXR7 250X 1GBD5-HE Radeon R7 250X 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    $134.99 + $11.99 Shipping = $146.98
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814131559

Total:$874 pre tax

I'll eventually upgrade to an SSD for my OS, and keep the HDD. If possible, I'd like to shave some money on some of these parts (maybe the MoBo, RAM or CPU?), to maybe get a bigger power supply and video card.. one that gets better FPS.

Also, what do you guys think of the case?

Thanks for all your help and time, I'll will be checking back frequently.

Deleted
    First of all you can get better for the money spended, you can't really trim much since you don't have a big budget to start with, you'd have to go for an i3 setup. A few notes for a couple parts that stand out is that psu is bad and with that gpu (its very old) you won't play any new games. You haven't really given a budget so i don't know how to exactly work with this so i will give you a ballpark for now, for something decent while keeping the cost down.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($285.97 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.50 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($227.00 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($70.50 @ Vuugo)
    Total: $902.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-28 04:22 EDT-0400

Deleted

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($63.04 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $689.49
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-28 04:30 EDT-0400

+ your Windows key

Yeah, sorry for forgetting to mention the budget, but it's a little flexible.. say, $650-$1000 after tax would be preferable, only going towards the higher end of that scale if it's really a big increase in quality. I really appreciate these builds, I think I will work with them and do some research on a part-by-part basis.

Secondly, what the big deal between the two CPU's presented? (i3 vs i5). This computer is basically for web browsing, some gaming, and my friend is into rendering and exporting videos (a lot) for his youtube channel. Will the I3 CPU be worse for these tasks?

Deleted
    The i5 is simply better and obviously more expensive. 4 cores instead of 2, has turbo to 3.9Ghz and can also be overclocked for ever further performance. If you want to go to the max budget 1k, you could get a better mobo and psu:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($285.97 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.00 @ NCIX)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Memory Express)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.54 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $950.98
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-29 05:59 EDT-0400

Unfortunately even with the 1st build i linked you can't fit a decent ssd inside the budget so that would be something to get later on.

Deleted
    Yeah my build was intended to make it cheaper or at least within the budget first presented, and it got you a much better GPU, and the i3@3.7 is actually quite good for World of Warcraft and decent for editing as it comes with Hyperthreading. There is no doubt, obviously, that the i5-4690k build is better overall and more expensive.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but suggest, if you can't afford the i5, save up a bit longer, and then get the i5. Patience is a virtue, and there's really no point in buying an i3.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I can't help but suggest, if you can't afford the i5, save up a bit longer, and then get the i5. Patience is a virtue, and there's really no point in buying an i3.
    While I agree the best is to get the i5, I strongly disagree that there is no point in getting the i3.

There are several points, decent WoW performance, decent gaming performance, in general, handles editing and streaming just fine. You also save ~$213, I'd say it's debatable if you're getting twice the performance. Can you enlighten us to why there is no point?

15+ Year Old Account
    Because the i5 is much better? I personally see no point in putting in a 6 year old processor when, to me, an i5 should be standard in most gaming builds, especially fresh builds. I would never recommend someone get an i3. I'd recommend they keep it if they already have it, but a fresh build? No.
    Last edited by Master Guns; 2015-07-30 at 06:17 PM.

Because the i5 is much better? I personally see no point in putting in a 6 year old processor when, to me, an i5 should be standard in most gaming builds, especially fresh builds. I would never recommend someone get an i3. I'd recommend they keep it if they already have it, but a fresh build? No.
    Really depends on budget. Since most games only utilize 1-2 cores, unless you are doing some other type of heavy lifting, the i3 is more than enough. The main advantage to going with an i5 is going for a K and OCing. This can have a huge impact on some games, but if you are not playing these games or not planning to OC then an i3 is a very suitable choice. In most games you will not notice a lick of difference between an i3 and an i5 running at stock. If budget allows, certainly, get the i5 if you can. This guy is going for a $650 budget though, so offering an i3, while letting him know the disadvantages of going with it, is a valid option. If he does want to stretch it to the $1000 then an i5 is certainly a better option, but it's his money and an i3 will do what he wants, so it's really up to him. We just present valid options and the i3 is a valid option for a sub $700 budget.

Deleted
    6 years old? They're the same generation...

What is "much better"? That also justifies spending an extra $200 or more importantly making the i3 not even an option.

For the tasks and World of Warcraft there is NOTHING wrong with the cheaper i3 option if you can't afford the i5. You have yet to give actual reason to why there "is no point". Not that that's anything new.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2015-07-30 at 07:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    . Not that that's anything new.
    Look at this tough guy. Go pick your e-fights with someone who isn't financially stable, married, and actually gives a shit about some random persons e-ego on the Internet.

Look at this tough guy. Go pick your e-fights with someone who isn't financially stable, married, and actually gives a shit about some random persons e-ego on the Internet.
    Well, you obviously do give a shit, or else you would have just ignored and moved on. You cared enough to have to try to further swell your own ego by pointing out you are financially stable and married, like we really care.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, actually. But try again?

Deleted
    I have no idea what you're talking about or where all this came from but can we try keep this on topic and help OP with making a decision. No need to take this more off-topic than it already is, thank you. Back on topic:

The i5 and i3 are the same generation so what point are you trying to make with your "6-year-old" comment?

Also what makes it that "much better" that justifies the extra $200? for example.