Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Worst job you have ever had

Hello all!

Never really made a thread before but decided to randomly make one today on something which intrigues me.

For all the people out there who have had multiple jobs, what has to be the worst job you have ever had.

Mine was working for a company selling SAP training courses. I knew nothing about SAP, the training was shite, the boss just walked in and out when he wanted and I had no idea what I was meant to be doing.

After a week it was a mutual decision that I would go as to them I wasn't making money as had not booked any courses for a company, and for me it was a 90 minute journey to and from work each day, £240 weekly train ticket to get there, and there was way too many people saying they had paid for things and not got them.

So MMO-C forum people, what is the worst job you have ever had?

Deleted
    I always hated working for a boss / someone else so I hate al my jobs I had prior to becoming entrepeneur.

Every job where your boss unrealistic expectations blows.
    Sadly those are 95% of the jobs.

Speaking 3 languages, making deals with other transportation company's,keeping the IT section of the firm working, doing the monthly taxes and year taxes(an accountant to whom my last boss paid,but i did all hes job), cleaning the office 3 times a week.

Just some of the stuff i had to do for my previous boss.
    Do you know what i was been paid for that?
    200euro a month sadly reality in my country is that no matter how hard working or educated you are people will toss you around and beat you with a stick just because they can and you can't argue with it because you need the money.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    My current one. I'm in airport security, and thankfully only part-time because it's total shit. Seriously, airport passengers are some of the worst to work with. If it wasn't for the passengers who are just really happy to go on vacation making my day a little brighter as they waltz past, I would have quit right away. The ones at the other end of the scale just make me want to punch people right in the face.

What the F makes people think rules don't apply to them because they're in a hurry? And then they spend 5-10 minutes arguing about why the rules are stupid. Yes, some of them are unreasonably stupid, but I can't agree to that in the uniform. Oh, and weren't you in a hurry? gtfo.
    Last edited by snaek; 2015-08-02 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Diversified a bit for an easier read. I say "people" too much.
    Well excuuuse me, Princess.

You are now breathing manually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by snaek View Post
    My current one. I'm in airport security, and thankfully only part-time because it's total shit. Seriously, airport passengers are some of the worst people to work with. If it wasn't for the people who are just really happy to go on vacation making my day a little brighter as they waltz past, I would have quit right away. The people at the other end of the scale just make me want to punch people right in the face.

What the F makes people think rules don't apply to them because they're in a hurry? And then they spend 5-10 minutes arguing about why the rules are stupid. Yes, some of them are unreasonably stupid, but I can't agree to that in the uniform. Oh, and weren't you in a hurry? gtfo.
    This is exactly why I could never hold any job involving customer contract. People are just too stupid and I've too little patience for it. I spent a week in a charity shop back when I was fresh out of school, and some guy came in asking to 'just have' a pair of trousers to protect him from the rain that day. He argued that he shouldn't have to pay because he was 'only gonna wear them once'. I'm not sure how people can have such a warped grasp on reality.

There were also these two teenage girls that, as what I presume was a prank, donate a bag of clothes;
    Cool. Donations are what keep these stores running. Let's just weigh this bag, note it down in inventory as 'x lbs of clothing items', and open it up to see what's ins- oh dear lord.

Women's underwear. Like 25-30 pairs. All unwashed.

How do I know they were unwashed? Because they were stained with fucking menstrual blood.

Nope.
    Last edited by mmoc75503c8c8b; 2015-08-02 at 08:48 AM.

Deleted
    Spent a summer cleaning a local waste-to-energy plant. Worst. Job. Ever. It entailed having to vacuum and then mop whatever you could reach from the maze-like structure of walkways and platforms. Starting from the top, we worked in broiling temperatures, where whatever we mopped dried out in a matter of minutes, and as we descended, the temperature started dropping - while the stench from the trash took over instead...

And to top it off, the money weren't even that good...

Customer service on phone. Pay was great! The job itself was soulcrushing. What have we learned? Happiness >> money. I even missed my old job as a cleaner.

You sit there and wait for a call. That's it. Can't go anywhere. Just wait. They monitor all the calls. Not only were there rules, but variables. Then you have to be fast. You're in a team, and the individual performances are shown to everyone the following day, including notes like "John, is there a reason your average time on phone was more than 5 minutes?" The customers, the phone connections.

I will never work with customer phone support ever again. I wanted to die. I was there 2 months.

Deleted
    Manager for a robotics counseling company (a fancier way of saying, salesman of robots). The mother company had the idea that we were going to be the cheap solution on the market, so I was told that we should always go for recommending cheaper (and hence inferior) products. And I combated that for two years, and was constantly in fights with my superior, over the idea of selling shit as something worthwhile.

Company went under, a year after I quit, which I tend to treat with a vast degree of schadenfreude
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2015-08-02 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Food services. The most difficult people in the world to deal with are hungry people.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty1985 View Post
    Hello all!

Never really made a thread before but decided to randomly make one today on something which intrigues me.

For all the people out there who have had multiple jobs, what has to be the worst job you have ever had.

Mine was working for a company selling SAP training courses. I knew nothing about SAP, the training was shite, the boss just walked in and out when he wanted and I had no idea what I was meant to be doing.

After a week it was a mutual decision that I would go as to them I wasn't making money as had not booked any courses for a company, and for me it was a 90 minute journey to and from work each day, £240 weekly train ticket to get there, and there was way too many people saying they had paid for things and not got them.

So MMO-C forum people, what is the worst job you have ever had?
    Closing shift at Burger King.

I tried this twice as a college freshman (now 20 years ago). Two different restaurants, two different cities. Lasted something like 5 weeks each time. Cleaning a fast food restaurant is fucking awful. It's boring as hell, nothing really comes clean, the caustic chemicals hurt your eyes, you won't be home before 4 AM, and you'll leave exhausted and reeking of French fry grease. On top of that, after 10 PM, most customers are drunk, stoned, and/or dumb as hell. They're all extremely aggressive about their stupidity. On top of that, 50% of my coworkers were useless, and one or two were absolute scum (in all seriousness, I thought one was going to get himself shot, and maybe the rest of us...this hare-brained skinhead with Nazi tattoos, liked to antagonize gangbangers when he worked the drive-thru window...why, yes, he found Jesus and moved to someplace like Idaho, how did you ever guess?).

People ask me sometimes why I'm always nice to fast food workers.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Janitor at a spank-n-go.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Phone salesman! Never had a job even close to that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Phone salesman! Never had a job even close to that.
    Same. Collected money "for charity", basically spent the day tricking old people into giving me money that was just taken as profit, was horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worked technical helpdesk for an internet provider(ziggo), wouldn't ever recommend... EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    The most difficult people in the world to deal with are hungry people.
    I'll counter that with clueless people having no internet connection blaming YOU for their problems.
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2015-08-02 at 11:20 AM.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything that's not a challenge or beneath my level..
    I like to be challenged in order to feel 'worthy' to myself.

That being said, I've had a lot of mundane jobs just to make money.

In the end, I've found that a job with awful co-workers is the worst kind of job.

I washed dishes at a restaurant once. I always left with a thick layer of grease up my arms that no amount of showering seemed to fix. I once had to help clean out mold from the walls of the walkin freezer to help stop the place getting shut down by the health inspection people. Terrible place really. I got payed under the table too, but at least i made slightly above minimum wage doing it >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Phone salesman. Not even sure if that could be labeled as a job, it's more like criminal activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Sorter at a paper recycling plant. Which meant standing straight at a conveyor belt for about 8 hours straight, minus the lunch break, to pick out cardboard, plastics and other materials from the heaps of paper waste that passed through. The most interesting items I picked out at some point were a handbag, some shoes, and an entire camping backpack.
    But the thing was so dusty and a nasty health hazard, I only managed to keep it up for 2 days. To me, this was the worst job I've ever had.

Deleted
    Coding cobol and fortran in my very early days. Gosh, what horror languages.

PERFORM WITH TEST AFTER UNTIL FOO=BAR ..

I worked at a 7-11 (convenience store for you non-Amurikans) for six months when I was 18. Worst customer interactions I ever had. My boss was a dick, too.

Notable mentions: Shift Manager at a Pizza Hut working 65 hour weeks; my current job, though that is theoretically a temporary situation.