Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Do you care about how other people sound?

I have been living with very extreme case of social anxiety and i have started getting better after about 10 years, finally starts to accept my looks etc, but one thing i can't really get out of my head is my voice, i feel like it sounds... Terrible? compared to others when people doesnt really seem to react when i speak. So my question is really, do you care or judge someone the first time you hear their voice? Or do you just don't care and just keeps listening until the conversation is over? And if you think someone has annoying voice etc, do you tell him/her or do you keep it to yourself and just thinking "He/she sounds like a squeeky toy"?

10+ Year Old Account
    you know you don't hear yourself like others hear you, right?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    It's common for people to not like their voice. The best thing to do is to not think much of it or you'll really start sounding awkward.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yeah i know that, one of my treatments has been to record my voice and keep listening to the recorded version, which should be the same as mine? According to my doctor atleast ^^

7+ Year Old Account
    depends on how they sound

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I notice it.. If it's super weird I might joke about it when they're gone, but it's never put me off someone. How someones voice sound has nothing to do with whether or not I like them.

You probably just think it's weird because of the anxiety, and if it's been that bad you're probably very out of practice when it comes to talking in general which might make you more self-conscious.

I actually used to have a speech impediment when I was younger, which made me self-conscious. Trained it away, but still kind of felt like it was there, even though no one could tell.. I gradually stopped worrying about it when no one else ever noticed or cared, so if I had any advice to give it would be to just talk to people, practice and learn to stop worrying about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I fractured my trachea and crushed my larynx 8 and half years ago in a bike accident and have sounded like I have laryngitis ever since. People give me crap all the time about being raspy and I deal with the 'are you sure you should be at work when your that sick?' or 'how many packs a day do you smoke?' question 100 times a day. People mimic my voice and make jokes about it all the time, but I just suck it up and move on. Sounding different is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed of, it's all just a part of who you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    My voice sounds super cool to mysel and retarded when recorded/to others
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

If you're a guy who's like 20 or so, and your friends find out you're sensitive about it they will make fun of you. That's what guys do.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    My voice sounds super cool to mysel and retarded when recorded/to others
    The sounding retarded part can go away when you expose yourself to your own voice more (most likely).

There was an experiment with headphones and a tape recording of your voice or something and after longer exposure you are able to hear yourself like other people do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    Yeah i know that, one of my treatments has been to record my voice and keep listening to the recorded version, which should be the same as mine? According to my doctor atleast ^^
    Only if you record it in studio quality.
    A recording you do on the computer for example, nope... that too is falsified... Try it with other people where you have a good comparison, and you'll notice how different they sound too.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Only if you record it in studio quality.
    A recording you do on the computer for example, nope... that too is falsified... Try it with other people where you have a good comparison, and you'll notice how different they sound too.
    People couldn't tell me and my brother apart on Teamspeak that's how bad the normal audio quality is...
    but on skype wow that's far more like the actual voice.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    My friends on TS and skype say i sound like a middle aged man/latin dictator which i find hilarius cause i have a baby face. According to them I sound 40 I look 15 and Im actually 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Vea Lea View Post
    depends on how they sound
    Pretty much, I won't judge the person based on their voice but some peoples voices are a bit hard on my ears and I will try to avoid having to listen to them when possible.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Deleted
    elaborate please

OT: generally no lol, unless they have a super weird voice, but I hate the voices of male teens.. god they sound so whiney and annoying I hate it
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-08-05 at 12:01 AM.

Deleted
    I can't stand extremely highly pitched girl voices I mean there are people who sound awkward but some people have a tone that is seriously mindnumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    elaborate please
    Your voice sounds different to you as the vibrations from speaking basically vibrates through your head to your ear drums, usually this has the effect of making you sound deeper than you actually are.

Block your ears with your fingers and speak, that is the part of your voice that others wont hear and obviously wont come through on a recording. You're used to how you sound with that effect, so when you hear it without, it's sounds foreign.

Similar thing happens when looking at a photo of yourself. Whenever you see yourself normally it's likely through a mirror or some kind of reflection, as a result the image you see is reversed. Course of a photo of you isnt reversed, yet that small difference makes it seem unfamiliar, like something is off.

If you have any digital photos of yourself, reverse it and compare, chances are the reversed one will seem like a better photo even though they're same.
    Last edited by Kiingy; 2015-08-05 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zetitup View Post
    Not exactly. Your ears essentially hear vibrations in the air, but producing your sound also produces different vibrations in your body.

I've listened to myself recorded, I don't sound anything like how I hear myself.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by kiingy View Post
    Your voice sounds different to you as the vibrations from speaking basically vibrates through your head to your ear drums, usually this has the effect of making you sound deeper than you actually are.
    It's the exact opposite for me, lol. When I hear recordings of my own voice, it's much deeper than I think it is.

I don't like certain accents and speech patterns. Sometimes I might think pitch is a little odd/annoying but these don't bother me nearly as much as accent. I really dislike most accents.