wireless/networking issues

Hope this can be asked in this forum.

anyways, I bough a Zoom model 5253 modem/router so I wouldn't have to rent one through comcast per month. I live in what used to be an old mill, converted into town homes. My modem/router is downstairs. I have Comcast's(sadly only provider where I live) 150MB downstream, directly wired im actually getting 163MB. Now when I go wirelessly(and I know wireless signals won't carry the same speed), I get 23 MB average in the same room and then upstairs my smart TV and xbox one are up there. I check the wireless signal at the top of the stairs then on the couch then by the TV/xbox and I went down to 15, 7, then 1 respectively....What could be causing such a blockage of the signal? And what could I do(other than run a super long cable through the town home to fix this...I have an old apple 802.11n router still sitting around. Would it be possible to connect an Ethernet cable from the current router/modem upstairs to that then use it as a router or is that a bad idea? Ultimately I just want to be able to use my xbox/TV without so many issues and it doesn't seem I can...Before anyone asks the router needs to stay downstairs where the computer is and my xbox/TV need to stay upstairs and in their current positions due a fireplace.

Also, when i did the port forwarding for xbox live I basically couldnt connect to any websites either so may need help with that(even though i did it correctly it was still messed up).

after doing some research I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833996262 ... If anyone has experience with these or something similar I would love some feedback...and an explanation on how it works...Although some of the reviews make it obvious I just want to make sure these would work the way I assume they would before buying.
    Last edited by RuneDK; 2015-08-22 at 04:12 AM.

depending on how old the Airport Extreme is you can usually plug the ethernet into the internet port then run the setup wizard on it via Airport Utillity and say you "want to connect to the current network using ethernet and create a wireless network" Then just make a new wireless SSID and passcode and it "should" put the Airport Extreme into bridged mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    modem/router combos usually have very week wireless output, you might get a better signal at the other room using the Apple router.

2 words: Powerline Adaptor

Honestly, there is nothing better than ol' ethernet cables, i don't really get that obsession with wireless, it's not laptops and phones, it's tv and xbox. Just spend one day and forget about it forever.
    I've started working with ISP tech support and now i hate wireless shit with a passion.

I have done two things that have solved my internet issues in the past.

1. Buy a few cheap USB network adapters and see which one works the best with my computer.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=13983791

Most of these are really cheap. Like $10 bucks or so. I get various performance with each and usually one just seems to work really well with my computer for some reason compared to what was installed in my computer originally.

2. Get the Speedify service.

Speedify has two different functions. It can help solve packet loss issues which gives you a better connection. It can also combine connections to improve performance. Right now I'm using two internet connections.

1. Wifi internet in my house
    2. My Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) is tethered to the computer via USB port and providing a second connection.

Speedify combines both connections and boosts performance.

Speedify has a free trial if you want to give it a test drive and see if it boosts performance for you.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2015-08-24 at 12:29 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Get the Speedify service.
    How is speedify even relevant in this case? The whole point of such a service is to bond two or more shitty connections. Bonding a connection that is only limited due to a shitty home network is waste of money.