Deleted

The legendary chore

So I'm unsubbed from WoW atm. The only reason I lasted this long was my raiding guild. I took a month break for big school assignments when 6.2 released, I came back, I don't have a spot anymore because spots were already in high demand, so I'm a social.

Meaning the only reason I have to play WoW is no longer there.

Why don't I just find another raid guild? Because I don't have the ring. This far into the xpac, I don't have the energy to smash my head against apexis dailies and naval shipyard garrison reskins for a couple more weeks/months.

Come Legion, I really hope legendaries simply aren't in the game anymore. I hope artifacts turn out to actually be fun aspects of the game rather than the chore that is the legendary ring. I don't like knowing that I'm worthless to an equal skill guild purely because of the fact I didn't invest that 1 month of time due to being absent.

The legendary quest is not legendary. It's absolutely painfully dull and boring. I enjoyed the fun quests in between the gather 3 million fairy dust fragments etc. I don't even mind the collect 3 million fairy dust part because I was getting it through doing something I love - raiding. Now that I want to raid again, no guild will take me seriously unless I get it.

So I'm on hold till legion to reroll DH.

TL;DR - I hope Legion doesn't make artifacts as boring as the ring.

I understand and actually agree with the ring quest being a bit boring. What I seem to disagree with is the hopes that artifact weapons would prevent your situation from happening again. You took a month of for real life reasons and now you seem to a month behind others in regards to the legendary ring. Next expansion if you took a month off shouldn't you also be a month behind those that didn't in terms of power from the artifact weapon? It seems the people who stayed playing and active should get some type of reward for doing so and not lose a raid spot to someone who decided to take a break (Not saying breaks are bad....I often take them myself).

In regards to the current ring, you would still need to gather the library cards for the raids. Couldn't you just do the garrison missions in between raids as you caught back up?

I agree 100%

My reasons for disdain towards the tedious nature of the legendary questline though, is because I play alot of alts.

I can't keep up with the legendary questline 6 times over

Also I found out I'm apparently only mediocre at Hunter, but am amazing at Monk DPS

I want Monk to be my main now, but my Monk has hardly even begun the legendary questline.... Hunter sitting with an upgraded legendary ring

If my Monk had the same gear, I could absolutely put my own Hunters numbers to shame.

I too hope there are no legendaries in Legion. I hope there is only artifact weapons just like you said.

Somewhat unrelated but I kind of hope the Windwalker monk relic is a sweet pair of knuckles, and that they finally make Monks fist weapons actually appear on their fists while fighting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnfargen View Post
    I understand and actually agree with the ring quest being a bit boring. What I seem to disagree with is the hopes that artifact weapons would prevent your situation from happening again. You took a month of for real life reasons and now you seem to a month behind others in regards to the legendary ring. Next expansion if you took a month off shouldn't you also be a month behind those that didn't in terms of power from the artifact weapon? It seems the people who stayed playing and active should get some type of reward for doing so and not lose a raid spot to someone who decided to take a break (Not saying breaks are bad....I often take them myself).

In regards to the current ring, you would still need to gather the library cards for the raids. Couldn't you just do the garrison missions in between raids as you caught back up?
    The way artifacts work it seems is that it's like an experience bar, of which xp is gained by doing basically everything, killing certain mobs, doing pvp, finishing instances etc. That to me says "do what you want to catch up" which is definitely more fun than how it is now. I'm sure there's gonna be xp caps or something on it in the same way there is for conquest. Assuming this is how it works, it wouldn't be an issue to just hardcore grind 1 day after a long break next expansion, like doing lots of heroics to get your xp back to the current cap or something.

There's not a lot known in this regard. I assume it's something along these lines. I'm just saying I hope it's more fun than "well you weren't here for 4 raid lockouts so you're gonna have to just get 4 raid lockouts worth of fairy dust your own self before even being considered for a raid spot." Na'mean?

Legendaries are nothing more than a scheme to keep people subbed longer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Deleted
    I agree. The shipyard part i have said since day one that it must be unlinked from the legendary chain, but they didnt listen.

I mean, i would love to have the legendary on my alts, but i can't be botherd with anymore apexis dailies. Its just not gonna happen.

The artifacts are new "legendaries" but since they are your only weapons you won't be able to get away this time...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post
    The way artifacts work it seems is that it's like an experience bar, of which xp is gained by doing basically everything, killing certain mobs, doing pvp, finishing instances etc. That to me says "do what you want to catch up" which is definitely more fun than how it is now. I'm sure there's gonna be xp caps or something on it in the same way there is for conquest. Assuming this is how it works, it wouldn't be an issue to just hardcore grind 1 day after a long break next expansion, like doing lots of heroics to get your xp back to the current cap or something.

There's not a lot known in this regard. I assume it's something along these lines. I'm just saying I hope it's more fun than "well you weren't here for 4 raid lockouts so you're gonna have to just get 4 raid lockouts worth of fairy dust your own self before even being considered for a raid spot." Na'mean?
    Ah I understand and I think that would be a much better solution. A gated cap but allowing you to pick your adventure would be a much more fun system and would allow people to take care of real life issues while still getting to enjoy the game. I hope that's how it ends up working out as well.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Legendaries are nothing more than a scheme to keep people subbed longer now.
    I felt this way back when I learned that anyone could get the "legendary" cloak in MoP. Seeing as how I too am an alt-o-holic, I just feel defeated in getting the ring this xpac. It's the same reason I won't even entertain the idea of trying to get into a raiding guild; "How close are you to finishing? / Do you have the leg. ring?" Nupe. Not going to let some damn ring determine my value as a player. There are plenty of mediocre and poor players with "legendary" rings, and I don't want to be lumped into the same box as them when applying.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Legendaries were always a chore, it's just less people got to do the chore back in the day. Getting the legendary ring only takes a little commitment, a little luck and a lot of time. If you are even attempting to do what you would be doing in an organized raid (that is trying your best each week to finish as many bosses as possible) you will get the ring eventually. If you cbf trying to raid, on your own time, on easier difficulties than the raid team you are complaining won't take you, then how is anyone going to trust that you will put in the basic amount of effort when they do give you a spot?

Legionaries were such a chore, and it's ridiculous that there are no catch up mechanic for them.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

One of the big things that would kill my interest in an artifact is them being weekly gated. It's the main reason i can't even consider resubing this far into the expansion. I have a month or two in BRF and then another month or two in HFC til i'm up with par. I don't expect to mythic ready right away, but when there is fuck all i can do to get to that point but wait, it ruins any motivation i once had.

Your raiding anyway right?
    Never understood this complaint.

You missed some time and now you have to catch up.
    You know the previous legendary model would mean that you would be completely ruled out for consideration on getting a legendary right?
    Is that actually your preference?
    You need to raid to get things.
    This one feels mandatory and is boring, but its WAY better than having to pick 3-4 people in a guild of 25~ to give it to. Its so much drama and you almost always lose at least one person over it - either the one with it who suddenly things he can go guild shopping now, or the one at the back of the line who has been offered (and likely lied to) about getting their next one.

- - - Updated - - -

The legendary quest is not legendary. .
    Well it is when you use it that's for sure. There is no other ring in the game that has an on use massive damage increase + AOE deathwave that one shots anything it hits if timed right.

Another pathetically casual comment. Who cares about the quest? You want the ring right?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

So I'm unsubbed from WoW atm. The only reason I lasted this long was my raiding guild. I took a month break for big school assignments when 6.2 released, I came back, I don't have a spot anymore because spots were already in high demand, so I'm a social.

Why don't I just find another raid guild? Because I don't have the ring. This far into the xpac, I don't have the energy to smash my head against apexis dailies and naval shipyard garrison reskins for a couple more weeks/months.

Come Legion, I really hope legendaries simply aren't in the game anymore. I hope artifacts turn out to actually be fun aspects of the game rather than the chore that is the legendary ring. I don't like knowing that I'm worthless to an equal skill guild purely because of the fact I didn't invest that 1 month of time due to being absent.

The legendary quest is not legendary. It's absolutely painfully dull and boring. I enjoyed the fun quests in between the gather 3 million fairy dust fragments etc. I don't even mind the collect 3 million fairy dust part because I was getting it through doing something I love - raiding. Now that I want to raid again, no guild will take me seriously unless I get it.

Took me 1 month to go from fresh 100 to a 715 ring.

Get off your butt if you want to reap the rewards and raid.

That's what this game is all about. Some grinds along the way for a big reward.

I hear people all the time talk about how Vanilla and BC were awesome. Heh. You couldn't even get into BT unless you had gotten attunements and cleared the previous content.

A 1 month grind and you're bitching.

Nowadays, WoW isn't the game for the people that have been playing for awhile. They've grown out of actually trying to progress your character to get anywhere.

one month .. thats it? ..

I took like 4 months off and came back and already have my legendary ring from LFR

Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    one month .. thats it? ..

I took like 4 months off and came back and already have my legendary ring from LFR
    Yep, I rolled an alt that was a fresh 100. Droprates have increased in BRF and HM for runes/stones. Plus you can get runes/stones from the shipyard and there are more garrison missions for stones/runes.

Like i said, get off your butt and do work if you want a big reward. Stop asking for Blizzard to hand you everything.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Not going to let some damn ring determine my value as a player.
    can't be arsed to do a simple questline = very likely zero value as a player for a raiding guild. I don't even disagree that the legendary quest sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    can't be arsed to do a simple questline = very likely zero value as a player for a raiding guild. I don't even disagree that the legendary quest sucks.
    Queuing with LF Derps for a month sounds like an enjoyable exercise lol.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

OK, a lot of folks are hyperbolizing. Sorry it'll take you a while to catch up, but them's the breaks.

The legendary ring is a participation trophy.

Stay subbed, keep playing, stay caught up, get the fancy trophy at the end for being a good little gamer.

Sadly just that is not, nor will it ever be, enough to keep subscription numbers up.

Same with LFR, which I used to enjoy quite a bit and point to as an idea of how if they'd introduced it earlier how much more awesome and expansive our raids could have been. Just think about things like the Frostmourne 5-Mans as a full raid that could have been introduced prior to ICC fully dropping!

But now, I really find myself wanting badges back, weekly dungeons and a wider variety of heroic dungeons to do and rewarding daily quests that don't just drown you the way MoP did.

More and more the reasons for WoW hitting their zenith with WotLK comes to focus and it's not just because it falls into the time when the majority of their player base started college.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if they keep their outline in place as the system (and I have no idea and it's still crazy early), then Legion will be BC on steroids.

Basically EVERYTHING will be about your Artifact. You'll be asked to do Class Hall quests. Why? Artifact points. You'll be asked to do Dungeons. Why? Artifact points. You'll be asked to do PvP. Why? Artifact points. You'll do raiding and raiding achievements (even stuff you may not have done or wanted to do). Why? Artifact points. And ALL of that will almost certainly have daily caps rather than weekly caps as they did in Wrath.

They've already said that there will be NO catchup mechanisms for alts. And they're considering a discount for off-spec. Considering. Let that sink in. So this expac from the START is an alt killer. What it also means is that if you miss any time, then you're just behind. There will be more pressure than ever on top tier raiders to NEVER miss a day and the chasm between mythic, top tier raiders and even heroic raiders has the potential to be cavernous. It also means that guilds will have a helluva time asking a raider to switch toons. Good luck with that. When they tweak specs so that comps go from strong to middling because a healer gets nerfed and a dps gets nerfed and their comp was unbalanced (bring the player?), it's not like in days gone by when folks will be able to gear an alt. No catch up mechanisms.

Of course, they can mitigate the impact of the grind with things like weekly caps instead of daily caps and those weekly caps spread out over all the activities so it could be any mix of dungeons, Class Hall quests and PvP so players could play when and how they can, but so far, all the talk from the Devs is that Artifact points are going to be super, super grindy and any time you miss... you just miss. You'll be behind forever and you'll never be able to make it up. Period.

I'd be a bit more okay with the whole Artifact system if weapons dropped in the game. So, for my alts, I could simply eschew Artifacts and just play, then I'd be okay with it, because I wouldn't have time for it, anyway and I don't have to feel bad about having this weapon I'm stuck with that I can't craft anything better, I can't buy anything better, I can't twink anything better (these are alts, by definition, not my primary focus and not going to get the time)... Just stuck with a lowbie wep that screams at me "you don't PLAY me, so this wep will stink. Oh, and because you haven't focused on me from the beginning, no matter how diligent you are, there's a ceiling on how powerful you can be even if you decide to start."

As for rerolling DH, my advice for what it's worth is I'd really try to try it out on the beta first. I've been suggesting that unless folks have immense amounts of time that they pick 1-2 toons to focus on due to the Artifact point system. Granted, things can change, but based on what we know now, it's better to be prepared and ready to only play 1 or 2 toons and have Blizz change things that allows easier access for alts than to expect to give equal or almost equal attention to all of your toons (a lot of people have 10 or more max level toons, although maybe not with WoD) only to find that the Artifact point system even more so than the Garrisons while building them are simply too time consuming to allow for alt play.

TL;dr Legion looks to be even more grindy than WoD due to Artifact points and no catchup mechanisms for alts. So missing time in Legion will hurt worse than in WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    OK, a lot of folks are hyperbolizing. Sorry it'll take you a while to catch up, but them's the breaks.

The legendary ring is a participation trophy.

Stay subbed, keep playing, stay caught up, get the fancy trophy at the end for being a good little gamer.

Sadly just that is not, nor will it ever be, enough to keep subscription numbers up.

Same with LFR, which I used to enjoy quite a bit and point to as an idea of how if they'd introduced it earlier how much more awesome and expansive our raids could have been. Just think about things like the Frostmourne 5-Mans as a full raid that could have been introduced prior to ICC fully dropping!

But now, I really find myself wanting badges back, weekly dungeons and a wider variety of heroic dungeons to do and rewarding daily quests that don't just drown you the way MoP did.

More and more the reasons for WoW hitting their zenith with WotLK comes to focus and it's not just because it falls into the time when the majority of their player base started college.
    Another thing that's glossed over is WEEKLY CAPS. In LK, a player could focus on one toon and could delve deeply into achievements OR they could become an altoholic. LK is when that started. What it allowed was for players with time to play various styles according to their needs and players without as much time to still play.

Heck, there were heroic raiding guilds who raided one night a week for 3 hours a night (LK heroic = WoD mythic for those who weren't around then) because there were some really talented raiders who simply didn't have the schedules to support multinight raiding.

Now, we're back to grinding and having to log in every freaking day or feeling as if we're falling behind. Ugh. Garrisons and the "legendary" are more of a chore than anything else and they feel more like the Insane title than anything Legendary.