Poll: Do you think "joking" is trolling?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why is joking considered "trolling"? these days?

[Original thread didn't belong in the WoW discussion so I reposted it here, anyways on to the discussion! Keep it civil!]
    OP is below

Seriously? This is one of my peeves and get ready because your internet "feelings might get hurt". When someone makes even the smallest joke or even parodying a vine in real life someone or many just has to be "that one". Y'know? That person who says, "Dude, quit it. That's so annoying and stop trolling or I'll report you" Even after just saying said specific -once-. Say a joke and you're considered an awful troll, griefting or have no life. Is this what this game has gone to? Falling into aggressive & negative subjective actions because someone is trying to be amusing at the slightest? Can anyone truly take a joke these days without reporting anyone or telling everyone to ignore the said person? Please, don't be these people. Don't take this game too seriously.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

It depends on what you joke about, there are things you don't joke about unless you want to be perceived as an asshole.

Deleted
    Isn't trolling something completely different from making a joke?

But you know what, everybody is so easily touched and offended these days, because everything has to be taken seriously. Just let go of that and you'll be fine. There's nothing serious people hate more than not being taken seriously.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I blame the fact that communicating through text, either phone or forum, does not convey an ounce of intention. You are missing both body language and tone which dramatically alters meaning. I think this is the real failing of the internet as a means of communication.

There's a difference between joking and saying something to get people to react negatively. Context matters. Here in Aus friends call each other names you might otherwise save for politicians, but it's done as a term of endearment. You wouldn't use the same words in front of a stranger or work colleague you didn't know well.

Also what Telomerase said. Intention is a huge part of humour. The exact same sentence can be seen as either hilarious and playful, or bigoted and inciteful, depending on whether or not the audience can glean the intention behind it. Text-only removes, what, 80% of the methods of communication humans use to convey ideas?
    Last edited by Soeroah; 2015-08-23 at 07:44 AM.

Is it that people consider most joking to be trolling, or that the "Joker" keeps thinking their offensive comment is a joke?

You're never going to get full agreement, regardless of whether you are for or against it, it's most likely a battle not worth fighting. Except for the real trolls.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but if you miss the deadline... You better bring the sword.

Because these days everyone is a winner. If someone says something a winner doesn't like it obviously flawed. When on top of that you get to also toss a mild insult that might get you bandwagon points. Perfect for some I guess.

All jokes aren't funny and like sarcasm, some jokes are hard to interpret online.

Because people love getting their dainty little ovaries in a twist about absolutely everything these days. The Outrage culture is out of fucking control these days. It really is pathetic and sad. Calling everyone that calls out their insane bullshit a "troll" is an easy and effective way to belittle and marginalise your "enemies". It's truly pathetic and it's a sad sad sign of the times. Everyone is so sensitive these days I wish they would just grow thicker skin and untangle their fallopian tubes... But sadly I've found that a functioning sense of humour just isn't in most people's make up these days. It's really sad and I'm plenty tired of it. It's OK though. These pathetic mental weaklings have no real power outside of their echo chamber "safe spaces". They'll never sedate all that they hate as long as people made of sterner stuff still stand. The weakness that defines them will defeat them when the REAL shit hits the fan. They'll stand as strong as a paper house in a tornado. I know this place is an SJW haven so I don't expect many to agree with me on here... But that's OK, because like i said, they have no real power. They are weaklings and deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule. They will thank you for it. They are always searching for something new to be ever so offended by... They make me want to be sick.

Because trolloling and joking has now become the same.

It's a word misused by people who have no idea what a troll really is.

By now nobody but a few really cares.

Trolling is a art, a joke is an joke

The problem is that the go to excuse for trolling is "I was joking lol!" and I think you know that OP. Don't try to disguise trolling as something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    Because people love getting their dainty little ovaries in a twist about absolutely everything these days. The Outrage culture is out of fucking control these days. It really is pathetic and sad. Calling everyone that calls out their insane bullshit a "troll" is an easy and effective way to belittle and marginalise your "enemies". It's truly pathetic and it's a sad sad sign of the times. Everyone is so sensitive these days I wish they would just grow thicker skin and untangle their fallopian tubes... But sadly I've found that a functioning sense of humour just isn't in most people's make up these days. It's really sad and I'm plenty tired of it. It's OK though. These pathetic mental weaklings have no real power outside of their echo chamber "safe spaces". They'll never sedate all that they hate as long as people made of sterner stuff still stand. The weakness that defines them will defeat them when the REAL shit hits the fan. They'll stand as strong as a paper house in a tornado. I know this place is an SJW haven so I don't expect many to agree with me on here... But that's OK, because like i said, they have no real power. They are weaklings and deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule. They will thank you for it. They are always searching for something new to be ever so offended by... They make me want to be sick.
    it's why i don't post on wow general a lot of the time. people so quick to call you a troll just for disagreeing with them. and don't even try to start a debate since it instantly degenerates into flaming and ad hominems.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Because 90% of the time "I was only joking" is a blatant attempt to exccuse troll behaviour when the troll gets caught by hiding under the guise of "humor", when really all you are doing is being an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    Humor is still very existent in real life. If you really think that the internet is what is persistent in real life, you spend way too much time on the internet. Ironic.
    Last edited by twiddler; 2015-08-23 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Because 90% of the time "I was only joking" is a blatant attempt to exccuse troll behaviour when the troll gets caught by hiding under the guise of "humor", when really all you are doing is being an ass.
    I was trolling and joking in RL before internet and I'm doing so now as well. It's just 90% of ppl are ass and too serious about themself and their meaningless lifes. Yes, sometimes I realize, that some jokes are over the line and I regret those, but that's the art of joking/trolling - being on the line. It's different with every person and every situation. Good troll/joker has to have a really good empathy and solid understanding of human minds. Also, true joker never gets mad, when being trolled or joked. That's why he fells free to joke and troll others.

Quote Originally Posted by TankGeorge View Post
    I was trolling and joking in RL before internet and I'm doing so now as well. It's just 90% of ppl are ass and too serious about themself and their meaningless lifes. Yes, sometimes I realize, that some jokes are over the line and I regret those, but that's the art of joking/trolling - being on the line. It's different with every person and every situation. Good troll/joker has to have a really good empathy and solid understanding of human minds. Also, true joker never gets mad, when being trolled or joked. That's why he fells free to joke and troll others.
    Dean Cook, PhD--thank you.

Normies became aware of the term trolling and didn't understand it, so they used it to describe anything that upset their feels on the internet. That's where we're at these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Annoying people heard the term, started using it as a term for acting like a moron, which they began to do on purpose to be annoying. Now we have everyone calling themselves trolls when they're just being idiots on purpose.

tl;dr - people who don't know what trolling is think acting stupid will make them popular

Deleted
    It depends on the kind of joke, those that are only made to rile people up are exactly what trolling is.