Thread: What do you do?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Thumbs up What do you do?

Hey Champs!

Let's try to see what we're all doing out there for our bodies and health.
    It's quite simple just follow this template.

weight:
    health:
    and how you plan to improve your health and drop your weight.

I'd also suggest for you to put a question here, if you have any towards any improvements or so forth that you might want answered.

PS: I'm not the original owner of this idea, saw it on another forum a while back and thought it could be fun to see here.

Height: 5'11" (180cm)
    Weight: 172lb (78kg)

Health: Health is pretty good. Several years back I randomly decided to jump on a scale and found I was up to 215lbs. I decided it was time to change. I ended up dieting to around 160lbs (not the healthiest way to get there, lost most of my muscle mass and felt weak). I slowly crept back up to the mid 190s until I decided to go through more of a lifestyle change several months back. I started a bodyweight fitness routine (r/bodyweightfitness) and cleaned up my diet in a way that would be sustainable in the long term. I now float around 168-172 with 12-13% bodyfat. I feel much better nowadays and find myself with a lot more energy than I used to have. Seeing the huge progress in the routine is pretty amazing as well (it is a TON of fun).

It was difficult at first trying to handle all the change. The best piece of advice I got was to gain self discipline. Motivation can only get you so far - you need discipline to get you through the harder times when the motivation is not there (which will happen).

10+ Year Old Account
    Height: 5'9''
    Weight: 162 lbs

Health: Pretty healthy all things considered. About 3 or 4 years ago I started getting serious about trying to gain some weight (I was 115/120 most of my college life) and started trying to get into shape. I'd say that I'm fairly happy with the results as I've gained mostly good weight, I had a time where I was basically just gaining fat though which wasn't quite optimal. Fortunately I dropped most of the food I was eating out of the equation and kept with my weightlifting and I evened back out.

My biggest issue was that I never found a consistent routine that I was able to keep with. I always bounced from one to the next without really going all the way. In order to combat that I've recently signed up with a training session at my local gym. Thanks to the structure I can't bounce around to new things...which is great for me. The person involved in the training is great at keeping me motivated as well, even though I'm doing harder workouts than I ever have before (seriously, yesterday I did like 80 tire flips between sets of lunges and kettlebell swings). The hardest thing to do is to stay motivated, just know your goals and be dedicated to them!
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Deleted
    Height: 5'9
    Weight: 196 lbs

Health: So obviously i'm overweight, i used to be 210 lbs so even heavier! Before this i used to be pretty darn fit but had a pretty serious back injury that led me on a downward spiral and eating crap, drinking loads and doing no exercise (mostly because i couldn't and when better i struggled with motivation). I've since hurt my back again so exercise is back off the cards but i've cleaned up my diet, it's not paleo or any 'extreme' sort of dieting just eating healthy, proper portion sizes, loads of fruit and veg instead of choc and pop. Had dropped to 188 lbs then went back up to 204 when hurt the back again, back down to 196 lbs now just through cleaning up my eating.
    I plan on excersing again once the back is better. I'm not exercising to loose weight as such more to get fitter and more muscular, the weight will drop off just from being healthier and eating properly.

Think the hardest issue are not having a goal, only having one goal, not having more than one way of measurement and being too focused on a number on the scales.
    My aim is to get to around 175 lbs and a 32" fit in trousers. However when i'm down to weight/size and can start training again and putting on muscle, i fully expect my weight to go up but my overall say trouser size to stay the same.

Edit: OP, you posted this but didn't fill it out yourself!
    Last edited by mmocad410c4aa6; 2015-09-14 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlingstar View Post
    Edit: OP, you posted this but didn't fill it out yourself!
    Height: 6'10" or 186cm
    Weight: 216lbs or 98kg

Health: My health is actually quite decent, don't have any major sicknesses or anything. I did just have a knee surgery that's setting me back a bit on training my legs. But I will just have to let that heal before starting with legs again.
    My weight is quite high still, but at this point it's not really the weight I'm looking at anymore. I've lost a lot fat and actually gained quite a lot of weight in muscle again, so even for my weight, I don't actually look overweight anymore at all.
    These days I use the mirror to see my progress, I jump on the scale now and then but I don't really stress out if I have gone up in weight.
    I keep a somewhat clean diet at the moment, I stay away from obvious bad stuff. But I'm eating what I want right now, just keeping sure to get in my proteins. I will probably be starting a diet this or next month, just have to figure out what kind of diet I should take. Working out about 5-6 times a week at this point, taking a day off is hard and I feel like I'm doing nothing that day. Cardio is also on pause while knee is getting back to shape and I've replaced my leg day with working out my back twice a week instead.

If any questions, it would be about diet. Anyone have any good ideas for a diet? I'm trying to just build muscle atm, while not gaining intense amounts of fat. So I was thinking, just staying with calories that would maintain my weight and just workout hard. Other inputs are quite welcome

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flammen View Post
    Height: 6'10" or 186cm
    Weight: 216lbs or 98kg

If any questions, it would be about diet. Anyone have any good ideas for a diet? I'm trying to just build muscle atm, while not gaining intense amounts of fat. So I was thinking, just staying with calories that would maintain my weight and just workout hard. Other inputs are quite welcome
    Not a PT or a nutritionist but if you stay within calories that maintain your weight and workout hard you'll likely either maintain and not build muscle or loose and not build muscle. Google and do some reading about TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). There's lots of calculators and info.
    Works like: Your base metabolic rate (bmr) = how much calorific intake you need to sustain your body if you did jack all all day.
    Energy expenditure = how much you energy you expend in a day.
    So, bmr + ee = TDEE. EE is dependent upon what your job is, how much you workout, how intense you workout.
    So lets say doing nothing your TDEE is 2000 and you eat 2000 calories, you wont gain weight nor loose it.
    If you eat 2000 calories but then start exercising 5 times a week pretty hard, your TDEE now becomes say 2500 but you still eat only 2000. You'll loose weight, you now need to eat 2500 to maintain.

If you want to start putting muscle on then you'll now need to start eating above 2500 in order to put on rather than loose or maintain.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Height: 197 cm (6'5)
    Weight: 126kg (278 lbs)

Health: Okay'ish, I guess. Or at least getting better again. I was 141kg (310lbs) in June so I'm losing weight at a steady pace, aiming to be around 100-105kg (220-230lbs) by new years. I'm an ex-athlete with quite a bit of leftover muscle from my younger days so around 100-105kg is where I'm quite comfortable at. Will start some serious gym-action once I get rid of my belly so hopefully I'll be somewhat fit by next summer Got a decent base under all this fat so it shouldnt be too hard.

Didnt bother going to the gym during summer vacation but going to start going to the gym at our university next week... would have probably lost more weight during the summer if I worked out a bit more and didnt drink so much :P

Not really on a diet or anything, just following an eating-pattern that my bodybuilder friend taught me. Eating healthy with some fasting days here and there and a cheat day each week. Working quite well so far and the cheat days make sure that my metabolism wont go into power-saving-mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Flammen View Post
    Here is a good resource for finding a diet that works for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wik...i_diet_details

Also the examine.com's FAQ section has a lot of good information summarized up for you:

http://examine.com/faq/

7+ Year Old Account
    Height: 5'7
    Weight:180lbs

My health has improved greatly over the past several years and continues to improve. During High School I was tipping the scales at 210+lbs. In the last 4 years though I started watching my caloric intake and exercising 5 days a week. I have a noticeable amount of muscle tone.

height: 6'4
    weight: 235
    health/training: I used to do olympic weightlifting, I was a heavyweight and my highest weight was 280. Now I'm just doing powerlifting/bodybuilding in a commercial gym, and my focus is being strong while looking good. Basically "powerbuilding". I feel soooo much better at this bodyweight. I wasn't really OBESE at 280 (well technically by BMI I was), but I was "chubby built". Now im built but relatively lean. Trying to lose 10-15 pounds to reach 12-14% bodyfat. Oh and the health aspect, yeah I have cleaned up my diet a TON. I used to eat realllyyyyyyy dirty but now my diet consists of more simple foods. Also try to add in some cardio here and there.

and how you plan to improve your health and drop your weight: uhmm, my health right now is decent, and I'm not a health freak or anything so I can't really say I want to improve it that much. Just trying to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle. And as for losing that last 10-15 pounds I'll do the same thing I did previously to lose weight, basically tracking my macros.

5'8"
    153lb

I used to be around 230lb. At 5'8", and with zero muscle, it doesn't exactly look well.

I ate all the same stuff I usually ate (chips, soft drinks, pizza etc ...), just less of it. I was counting my calories and was consuming anywhere between 1500-2000 calories a day.
    It was around the 165lb mark when the contents of my diet was really starting to hit me.
    I still ate the same amount of calories, I was just wiser about my food choices.
    I'd say around 70% of my calorie intake (then and now) is comprised of mostly whole foods, with little to no processing involved.
    I still treat myself to 'crap' food every day, for my sanity.
    When I got down to 150lb I started reverse dieting, adding 100 calories each week till I found my maintenance calories.
    I was maintaining weight around 2200 calories per day, and at this stage I weighed around 143lb.
    I've been bulking the last 9 months, eating 100-200 calorie surplus per day, consuming ~2600 calories, while doing Starting Strength.
    My lifts are stalling big time (SS is ideal for people who are shoveling food down nonstop) but I'd rather put on minimal fat.
    Starting lifts were (all 3x5):
    Squat: 20kg
    Bench Press: 20kg
    OHP: 20kg
    Pendlay Row: 20kg
    Deadlift: 20kg

Instructed to start off with the empty barbell, you progressively add weight to the bar each work out.
    Lifts are now:
    Squat: 75kg
    Bench Press: 62.5kg
    OHP: 42.5kg
    Pendlay Row: 55kg (form is pretty sloppy on this one)
    Deadlift: 120kg (this is only 1x5, pretty taxing on CNS).

I was uhm-ing and ah-ing a lot about whether to do a full body routine or a PPL style routine.
    All the experienced lifters I talk to tell me it's way more beneficial for a newbie to do full body, even if end goal is aesthetics.

height: 5'8"
    weight: 133 pounds

No intentions on making sweeping changes, but I'd generally like to get a bit leaner; this mostly means drinking less and being a little more disciplined with diet than I was during summer. Running's my main thing and I had kind of a tough summer with it - I injured my calf during a BQ attempt in May and dropped out at the halfway point. I got myself healthy enough to take another whack in June, ran a 3:04:XX, which is a qualifying time, but won't actually get me in. I had to work crazy hours and travel a ton, which cut my weekly mileage down to ~40 miles per week and I'm just now getting abck around to a more typical 50-60 miles per week.

Near future goals are doing a nice job pacing a marathon this fall for a female friend of mine that has a shot to win the race we're in (not the toughest competition and she should run around 3:20), then get back to doing a bit more speed work. I'd also like to become a competent swimmer over winter so I can dabble in triathlons next year. The big goal will be gaining enough speed and fitness to run a sub-3 marathon next spring.

height: 6'2"
    weight: 225 Lbs
    health: Good
    I changed my diet a bit a couple months back, dropped sodas completely and really busted my butt working out 5-6 days a week(mostly cardio). I started this little journey at my heaviest weight thus far in life at 248-250 depending on the day. I do intervals 3 times a week via my elliptical or stationary bike with another 30 minutes on the treadmill at a 4 mph pace with a 3-5 degree incline. I plan to keep this up as my weight goal is 205-210 by December. Maybe just maybe all this work will help me reach that goal.

Deleted
    height: 180cm
    weight: 68kg

I am not doing anything special right now except walking alot. Took a break over the summer. I dropped from 84kg to 66kg in 3 months earlier this year. I am probably slighlty underweight at the moment and need to start gaining weight again.

height: 5'3"
    weight: 130ish? I think. I don't own a scale, but as of last routine checkup and my size haven't change since then. its on the upper range of healthy weight for my frame, but still within.

not to worried about my weight to be honest, but while overall my health is decent, my endurance and strength has been steadily evaporating over the last 5 years or so - lifestyle got a lot more sedentary. been trying to work out more at home, but having trouble with being consistent. omnivore diet. I don't restrict myself from things I like, including things that are generally considered unhealthy. but thanks to my parents and the way they brought me up, I actualy like the taste of healthy stuff, so veggies, fruit and lean meats constitute bulk of my diet. that and I pretty much live on green tea, its my daily drink of choice.

I really do need to get more active... it sucks realizing that things I used to do without thinking about, suddenly take effort and are tiring

Deleted
    Height: 184 cm
    Weight: 70 kg
    Health: I am a very active person, workout rutine every week, I run and walk alot. Never been overwheight.

10+ Year Old Account
    height: 6'5
    weight: 225lb
    health: Very good. I run every day and do moderate weight lifting 5 days a week. During winter, I usually put on 5-10 hibernation pounds due to weather, but I always bounce back. With 30 approaching, I might have to work a little harder lol

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 220lbs
    Health: Good

When I was at 210lbs I started eating better looking to drop to 190lbs but I am really lazy and don't really count calories. I was getting slimmer and my recovery in between sets was greatly improving. Weighed myself after a few months because I was feeling great and was looking better than ever! The scale said 220lbs so I added some HIIT to the end of my workouts except for leg day. I want to start running in the morning but I have a hard time getting out of bed. I do take one day a week just to work on olympic lifts because I find them to be really fun. I also love to downhill ski in the winter.

7+ Year Old Account
    height: 6'1''
    weight: 190lbs
    health: Work in Progress.

Leaned out more than I liked over the summer, but its fall and its bulking season boys. going to start on a clean bulk... right after Canadian Thanksgiving... lol

height: 190cm
    weight: 85kg

health: My health should be pretty good at the moment. I was quite skinny during my teenage years, and never reached more than 74kg. With my height this made me look very fragile. I hit my lowest point with 69kg somewhere at the beginning of 2015 when I wrote my thesis. From that point on I had enough, and made myself a rich diet that I decided to stick to, and I started to hit the gym again. Now, a bit less than a year later, I gained about 15kg and at the same time a nice physique because of my training.

I did however fuck up my wrist tendons a bit in the process, now I'm waiting for this to heal up completely before I continue with intense training. In the meanwhile I don't want to allow myself to stop training again, so I'll stick to low intense workouts, mostly without weights, just to keep my current status. And who knows, maybe I'll start liking it and switch to high intense body-only training. Shit's cash.