Deleted

(Season 4 ) Freshly boosted 70 - gear and gameplay questions

Dear all,

I started playing S4 yesterday with a group of friends and they straight away boosted me to level 70. I am now going to play through the acts as I am at a loss and haven't really played the game before.

What I would like to ask is what should I do next to progress. I am level 70 - Paragon level 40 Monk. I got some Rift Torment 6 gear drops and everyone tells me to play Seven Strike Monk (I have the fisthand with the Seven Strike proc).

* What would I now do to get gear and exp?
    * How does it conitnue now? I understand I play in so called rifts and they are divided into different difficulties called Torments? I understand there are 6 torments?
    * Once you max out in the normla Rifts you do Greater Rifts? Do those also have Torment levels?
    * Is it feasible to gear my monk for dps and support? I have been told for higher levels you do need a support monk for things like greater rifts?

Sorry if some of those questions sound stupid but I am sort of thrown in the deep end :x

thanks
    Ploon

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the most important part is that you actually enjoy the game. Look up some builds online and try them out before playing something everybody tells you to but you dont like it. Another thing is that there are like 10 torment levels right now.
    I suggest crafting a hellfire ring if you plan on grinding the paragon xp.

People will tell you what is best and they will be right but they will not tell you what is most fun for you. Continue to play on difficulties you find you can clear bounties and normal rifts swiftly without dying very often. If you're dying a lot be sure to get some all-resists and vit / +life% on gear.

In adventure mode, if you click on the map teleporter you started on it will show you different areas with an (!) over them, these are Bounties which will give you crafting materials to make some starting legendaries when you complete all 5. These have higher stats on them than regular yellow items so get those to farm bounties on a higher difficulty and your'll notice your Exp and everything you want coming faster (crafting stuff, legendaries).

Greater Rifts are not effected by what Torment Level you play on. Regular rifts are effected. Greater Rifts have their own level system that roughly match certain Torments (read the list for examples) and have a much higher than average Legendary drop chance from the Rift Guardian. This can be a fast way to get a legendary in every gear slot. Keep doing this till you find items that do things to skills you like to use. Eventually you'll start seeing set pieces drop and those can are very powerful and can unlock really fun ways to play.

There's a guy called Zoltun Kulle in the home base of every act on adventure mode. Talk to him to start a very important quest that unlocks an awesome new crafting artisan in the town that lets you upgrade yellow items into legendaries and let you use special legendary item powers without even having to wear the item (so you can wear another, better, item when you get it).

It's a lot about creativity and finding ways to kill things that are fun to you.
    Last edited by thesmall001; 2015-09-07 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    People will tell you what is best and they will be right but they will not tell you what is most fun for you. Continue to play on difficulties you find you can clear bounties and normal rifts swiftly without dying very often. If you're dying a lot be sure to get some all-resists and vit / +life% on gear.

In adventure mode, if you click on the map teleporter you started on it will show you different areas with an (!) over them, these are Bounties which will give you crafting materials to make some starting legendaries when you complete all 5. These have higher stats on them than regular yellow items so get those to farm bounties on a higher difficulty and your'll notice your Exp and everything you want coming faster (crafting stuff, legendaries).

Greater Rifts are not effected by what Torment Level you play on. Regular rifts are effected. Greater Rifts have their own level system that roughly match certain Torments (read the list for examples) and have a much higher than average Legendary drop chance from the Rift Guardian. This can be a fast way to get a legendary in every gear slot. Keep doing this till you find items that do things to skills you like to use. Eventually you'll start seeing set pieces drop and those can are very powerful and can unlock really fun ways to play.

There's a guy called Zoltun Kulle in the home base of every act on adventure mode. Talk to him to start a very important quest that unlocks an awesome new crafting artisan in the town that lets you upgrade yellow items into legendaries and let you use special legendary item powers without even having to wear the item (so you can wear another, better, item when you get it).

It's a lot about creativity and finding ways to kill things that are fun to you.
    Thanks - I completed that quest and got the cube.

Now I need to work out what rift type I have to play - Nephalem or Greater Rifts. It's all a bit confusing if you jump in at 70 :/

Deleted
    To sum up rifts for you and the benefits of the different ones.

Nephalem Rift:
    This is fairly straight forward, you get dropped into a rift with monsters at the same difficulty as the torment level you started on, let's say torment 6. Now torment is where the fun happens, it's first here that you have access to any and all items in the game, as some are restricted to torment play only, however the torment "number" you choose afterward increases the health and damage of the monsters you face, however you also have an increased chance of getting better items to drop for you, I would recommend a difficulty setting where you're not struggling too hard for maximum efficiency, but as was mentioned above I think it would be best for you to simply do what you feel is engaging and fun. Do keep in mind that a Nephalem Rift has a baseline higher chance of dropping legendaries for you, so it will always be more beneficial to run rifts than say, play the campaign. (although the story is quite nice)

Greater Rifts:
    Greater Rifts, also called GRifts, are a little bit different than regular rifts, you choose the level you want to play, level 1 to supposedly infinity and pay a greater riftstone (droppped by regular rift guardians) to enter. You'll also have guidelines that points out that "this level is equal to Torment Y" to help you out which might suit you best.
    The thing with GRifts are that no monsters drop items at all, it is all a race to get to the Rift Guardian and kill it before the timer runs out, the Rift Guardian then holds all the items, which is at lower levels a near-guarantee of atleast one legendary drop, a random legendary gem, and also the chance to upgrade a legendary gem of your choice.

Now Legendary gems can only be socketed into jewelry pieces, so your rings and your amulet, these are much more powerful than your usual gems and also has a level to it, they all start out at level 0 and as I mentioned at the end of a GRift you get to talk to an NPC which offers to upgrade your gem, free of charge, you have 3 upgrades to spend per Grift completed. You get an increase in success rate of the upgrade depending on the level difference of the gem and the rift, the closer the gap is the lower the % gets to a minimum of 60% as long as the GRift is one level aboe the gem, or 30% if the gem is a higher level.

Now what I like to do when I have a new season character is to start out with GRifts to get the legendary gems I want as well as a couple of legendaries and then move on to doing regular rifts until I can handle T6+, after that I alternate to keep my gem levels up-to-date.

One last tip I'd like to leave you with: The cube is an amazing tool, and i'd recommend that you, atleast now for the start, use the "Upgrade Rare Item" feature for slots where your currently equiped piece is, well shit, as the recipe for the transmution is rather cheap and you can still get them to drop ancient versions (30% increase to base stats of the item)
    Also, if you find a Bovine Bardiche or Puzzle Ring, you hold on to them tight

And if you are looking for good build guides, pay www.diablofans.com a visit. It is somewhat like MMO-Champion here, but for Diablo only Lots of information on the forums, and a bunch of build guides that tells you what stats, items, gems and so on you should go for.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but the easiest way to gear now is to upgrade rares to legendaries using the cube (25 DB, 50 blue, yellow, gray). You should be able to complete sets quickly using that but you'll notice the death's breath will be your limiting factor. If you can try and craft the sage set and get a royal ring of grandeur or wear 3p sage and see if the people who boosted you will let you tag along in some regular rifts (T6-T8) for them.

Signature Created by Jassinta

First off, there's a lot of different difficulties (Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, Torment 1, ..., Torment X) - you choose the difficulty you want to play at the character select screen. Once in-game you can't raise the difficulty without leaving the game, only lower it (so it's better to aim too high than too low). With the exception of Greater Rifts, everything depends on the difficulty level - it affects mob power & health, drop rates, gold drops and XP.

Second, what to do ...

The Campaign just guides you through the story and these days it won't take you long; you choose between this and Adventure mode at the character select screen, before you enter the game.

Adventure Mode allows three new gameplay modes - Bounties, Rifts and Greater Rifts.
    - Bounties: you run these mostly for Legendary crafting mats; each Act rewards a different mat when you complete all 5 Bounties, so it's worth running all of the Acts. Which Bounties you get is random.
    - Rifts: this seems to be the best way to collect Death's Breaths, one of the harder non-legendary crafting mats to acquire.
    - Greater Rifts: run these for collecting and levelling up Legendary Gems, and for competing on ladders. It's difficulty is selected when creating the Rift and is independent of the difficulty you're playing at. There are no drops except from the Rift Guardian.

for everything else it doesn't seem to matter much...
    Farming gear? Do whatever you want.
    Collecting non-legendary mats? Run Rifts or Bounties.

Quote Originally Posted by Ploon View Post
    Dear all,

I started playing S4 yesterday with a group of friends and they straight away boosted me to level 70. I am now going to play through the acts as I am at a loss and haven't really played the game before.

What I would like to ask is what should I do next to progress. I am level 70 - Paragon level 40 Monk. I got some Rift Torment 6 gear drops and everyone tells me to play Seven Strike Monk (I have the fisthand with the Seven Strike proc).

* What would I now do to get gear and exp?
    * How does it conitnue now? I understand I play in so called rifts and they are divided into different difficulties called Torments? I understand there are 6 torments?
    * Once you max out in the normla Rifts you do Greater Rifts? Do those also have Torment levels?
    * Is it feasible to gear my monk for dps and support? I have been told for higher levels you do need a support monk for things like greater rifts?

Sorry if some of those questions sound stupid but I am sort of thrown in the deep end :x

thanks
    Ploon
    I think the biggest thing to know is that it is much better to farm fast then raise your torment level. The only exceptions are master?(when you get imperial gems) and Torment 1. Don't bother raising the difficulty up until you can 1 shot white mobs as efficiency is key, you should be aiming to clear rifts ~3mins constantly.

Once you get a set of armor + weapons you will start jumping up difficulties.

Greater rifts are sort of like a competitive ladder, the main benefit is legendary gems which you obtain and level up through completion of greater rifts. Open up the tab and choose the greater rift that is equal to what you are farming and give it a go.

My monk right now is geared for dps / support. Support monk is very easy to gear, half of the gear is crafted so you will need to do bounties for that. However you should play dps with your friends in some greater rifts so you can understand what you are meant to do as a support before you jump in.

I'd say do some normal rifts to get some grift keys, then do grifts at the lowest difficulty you can manage, those gems are really good! Also search up some build guides on www.diablofans.com and see what gems you need etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore